Photo by Melody

Passifloras: Look who was blooming in my yard today!

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 23, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9234482

Thuraia, my first bloom from her. Not as hot pink as I had expected but it's the first flower on a young plant. She's gorgeous no matter what color she is!

Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 8, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9234781

Super flower! very nice color! Good going your going to enjoy that for a long time to come
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 10, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9236556

You notice no ones here anymore and the ones left look and won't say a word wish this one had that color

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9236758

Roxanne, it's lovely - which one is it?
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 10, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9236795

Sanguinea might have spelled it wrong you told me the name of it when I forgot young it looks varigated grows like crazy always up for a trade you see anything you might like a peice of. I am waiting n 4 different I started new this year for flowers still hope here yet our colds far away yet.

Thumbnail by Danasplants

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9236987

Dana, that looks like my Belotti.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 10, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9236999

I have had this one since last year excellent bloomer everyone that comes here gets a flower to take home. Theres always a half dozen on there it and Incense are always blooming and the red grape leafed. Just bought Crimson Tears been wanting that one for a long time. Small plant so its going to be awhile before I see a flower
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9237470

Kay, it's Thuraia. It's a small plant, too small to offer cuttings. Maybe next year.

Dana, I've noticed that since last year there hasn't been much action on this forum. That's too bad, I really like talking about the plants.
That second one looks like a Belotti I used to have too but it also looks like alatocaerulea that I have now. It's also a very small plant but blooms alot.
The first pic is alatocaerulea the second is Belotti. They look alot alike.

Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9237484

Dana, your pink one looks like sanguinolenta. In my humble opinion.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 11, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9237499

Thats it said I spelled it wrong!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 14, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9241394

Heres the new ones name I received about a month ago. Lol never could remember how to spell it. I bought some seeds from ebay the hawaiian edius now these are fresh seeds love to see this. I have had some that take a year then there not strong seedlings

Thumbnail by Danasplants   Thumbnail by Danasplants

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9242573

Nice! Don't waste your time or money buying seeds from where the wild things grow. I've gotten passie seeds from them a couple times and no seedlings. don't know who their supplier is but they suck!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 15, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9242585

Ah - experienced Passiflora growers. I have a question. And sorry in advance if I've highjacked this thread. I started P. caerulea from seed last year. I grow it in a pot since it won't survive winters here. Does the plant need a large pot or does it like to be snug in the pot? And what's the preferred fertilizer for it? Obviously I'd like some flowers but don't want to rely on chemical fertilizers too much.
Love that bright pink color!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9243144

Roxanne.. a lovely color there.. more an electric pink.. is hot pink a lighter color?? is your panda blooming yet..
Dana.. Crimson tears is worth waiting for.. you'll love it... mine was doing well through the winter .. and disappeared when it went out... I do have 4 or 5 unknown ones that are comming up where I don't expect them.. maybe one is crimson tears... perhaps they are volunteers from some dropped fruit of temptation last year... with their seeds distributed to other planters in the springs plantings..I'd love it one was crimson tears..
I'm awaiting some blooms on piresii and miniati .. they shoud be up there somewhere.. also awaiting blooms on a white one and an unknamed [ forgoten named ] red one..
where folks are.. maybe they are getting ready to go on the cruise ship where the international society will have their anual meeting.. wish I'd booked my balcony cabin earlier...
OH this one is blooming now also..

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 2:09 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9243147

Roxanne, that is the most beautiful passi Ive ever seen! All those colors, it hardly seems real. Thanks for sharing. I just have a blue crown to feed the Gulf Frit caterpillars.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 16, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9244258

Roxxanne & Dana - Your passies are beautiful. I like all of the variations in color. I also looked up crimson tears - I will have to look for this one. I have an incense that I planted this year that has bloomed continuously.

Gordon - I have a seedling from the ones you sent me! I soaked and planted the seeds and nothing for a few weeks. I went to visit my parents for a few days and when I came back - there was a sprout about 2 inches tall! I'm so excited.

I have two other varieties that have sprouted as well.

Thumbnail by floridabunnie

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9244349

Gordon, is that Belotti? It does look hot pink in the pic but in person it was kinda lavenderish. I love it none the less! I lost my panda over the winter. My greenhouse is up and running now so hopfully I won't loose anything this year. I think this is probably the most beautiful passie I've ever seen also! I ran across a pic last year and had to have it!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9244377

here it is with it's name tag..
oh.. Roxanne... sorry to hear of the misfortune of loosing the panda.. I was so sad when the piece you sent didn't make it.. it was stunning... I was out checking the unknowns out this morning.. one day there will be blooms on them and I'll be able to figure out who they are..
OH..Roxanne.. I'd not looked on the map to see where you were.. I made a detour to see a brugmansia breeder this summer.. in CoalCenter.. right near Calafornia..i was so close to you..comming across I-70 had I realized then .. I'd have contacted you to see your collection.. oh well...

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 7:35 AM

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 7:49 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9244721

It would have been so nice to meet you! If you're ever in my area again please let me know! You must have gone to see Alice, I would love to see her collection. I have a canna love too, I get seeds from her.
I don't really have a brug collection. I have about 12 plants, most of which were grown from seeds I bought on ebay, they aren't pure breeds but I love them. I hope to repot them Sunday, they need it so badly!! I am babying my sphero seedlings right now. I'm so excited to have them!
I have alato caerulea too, The pic is up the thread further. Mine is a bit darker. I made fence trellis' for all my passies last Sunday. They were getting all tangled up. I think they'll be much happier having their own space.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9264476

well roxanne... they are likely purebred... just not named / regestered ones yet... got this in a trade... and I was trying to find the thread it happened on... where I also got it's name.. I will likely get by again... I want to see Alice a little later in the fall... when things are blooming heavier... but htis is the busy time of year here... just keeping the yellow leaves pulled off... in an effort to deny the comming of fall/ winter.. it seems to be working... [ just more denial.. ]

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9264536

Gordon, as I watch the Sycamore leaves float so lazily into my flower beds, I, too, am denying the dreaded time of year. I am thinking of how I want to protect my tender tropicals this year, since they seem to have multiplied many times. I will have the greenhouse full, the Florida room full, and will need to build a structure to cover with plastic, so I can protect the overflow of tropicals - geeze, why couldn't I have moved to the Keys!!! LOL
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9267612

Gordon - those are georgous blooms! the red is so vibrant!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9267744

Yes..Kay..I understand the winter space issues...I'll have to build my new cool room up on the roof..out of 2" foam..easy to heat.. but expencive to build every fall.. for the big things..and to keep the space under the 3 HID lights inside... for everything... wihout too much packing it in.. yes.. it's definately not far enough south there... even 1/2 way down the state that problem is still there... but you're in luck... I think they are still accepting emergrants from up north there in the Keys... and there's always Hawaii... yummmy weather there.. do you know farmtek.. they have evry size going.. and plenty of accessories for greenhouses
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft1_greenhouses_accessories
Bunnie.. thanks.. yes they are a lovely red.. absolutely my favorite red.. I'm awaiting another red to bloom this year.. a small plant in the spring... it will bloom some before the cold.. It's a good bit bigger than the one blooming now... maybe with a light hint of orange in the red on Passiflora piresii.. pictured
well off... up to the roof to see if any of the unknowns are starting their blooming today.. I'll have my real red mandivilla to enjoy with the passi anyway.. this is my idea of red even reder than the passi

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk         

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9268528

Gordon - it shows your talent and passion that you can overwinter these tender tropicals and have such beautiful blooms!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America