Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Cukes dying

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9234585

Just wondered if anyone else had a problem with cucumbers dying. Mine started with mildew on the leaves then the stems started wilting then dying and the cukes looked horrendous. They then just up and died. I have never ever had that problem. They are in large containers with fresh soil, so no old spores and I didn't find any bugs.
So sad!!!

Sharon
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9235254

Sharon ~ I am sorry you had this problem. I am not sure what caused the cucumbers to die in this manner but would be suspicious of the potting soil. Perhaps someone will weigh in that can be of assistance.

Sorry too that you have not received a quick response. I am afraid it is the time of year where the gardeners are staying busy outdoors. Welcome to Daves Garden... Kristi
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9235733

Sounds like bacterial wilt or gummy stem. Both kill the plants in short time. Bacterial wilt is spread by cucumber beetles. Gummy stem blight is a fungus, can come on seeds, spread by wind or water. It usually goes hand in hand with powdery mildew.

Edited to add: I usually check this forum if none other, but I was busy getting married!

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 12:34 PM
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9235750

Thanks to Kristi and Calalily. I totally understand about being in the garden! Congrats on your wedding Calalily.

My potting soil shouldn't be the culprit because it's the same one I used for the tomatoes. Gummy stems sounds about right because as I attempted to save it I noticed the bottom stems were rotten. Oh well guess I'll just have to wait till next year!
Thanks a million.
Sharon

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9236304

I had mine do that one year, new soil,and everything looked right and they died,The year following that one,mildew,wilt and the disease that looks like mildew only plugs the stem veins happened.
The ones I tried in pots this year look rather poorly,the ones on the trellis in the ground are okay only making few cucumbers. Years and years of cucumbers can be finicky to grow,One year a couple before any of that I had so many I did not know what to do with all of them. Just keep trying , you will learn more,and might even discover a secret or two that works for you.
Personally I never have learned a thing about growing cucumbers other sometimes I can.If they seem to want to.(lol)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9236313

I willl second the congratulations on the wedding ~ Calalily. Wishing you both many years of happiness and companionship.

I appreciate learning more about any problems that can be encountered. Every gardening season seems to present different challenges. And in spite of the poor showing the past season, I still am willing and enthusiastic the next time. Just call me a sucker ~ 8 )

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9236317

Happy Wedding Day, Lady Lily! A picture?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9236612

Will have photos soon, photographer is on her way back to TX. We have video now, but it needs edited.
Last year I had cucumbers running out my ears also, then this spring a great crop. The pickle worms were horrible, then whiteflies and the second plantings were so-so. Now that I am on vacation the caretaker said third planting is huge success! Some varieties do better in cool spring, but not in hot summer and some do best in the heat. It's trial and error some years for us.

We get whiteflies every year when the farmers start harvesting the huge fields of grain sorghum and cotton, but this year was especially bad. Lady bugs and lacewings are eating them up finally.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9237031

waiting for those photos! jurhur I guess you're right. I always thought cukes would be a no brainer, but apparently not. Actually last year was really hot also and they took time growing, but at least I had cukes. They are finicky! too late for this season!
Sharon
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9237276

Hugobee ~ do you know what type (or cultivar) you planted last year versus this?
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9237648

All I know is that they were kirby cucumbers. Does that help?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9238551

Sharon ~ I was just curious if last years cucumbers and this years were different cultivars but I guess not. That might have explained the differences. Sorry... Kristi
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9238575

Glad to see I'm not the only one up late !!! No my Cukes were a complete mystery. I'm going to throw out the potting mix and clean the containers with a solution of bleach and hot water. And hope for the best For next year, when I'll a year older and have even less patience, haha!
Sharon
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9238647

LOL ~ a year older and less patience, now that I can appreciate. So we'll meet here again next year? 8 )

And are you up early too? I'm up here because it gets to hot to get out and work by 9 am.

Fortunately I am able to do succession planting of cucumbers here throughout summer to keep fresh ones on the table. Just potted up some seedlings yesterday morning and noticed I need to pick a few from the last batch.

Your question interested me because I do lose plants on occasion and am never too old to learn ~ I hope. Kristi
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9238817

I should be up earlier. I just went to assess damage from yesterdays storm. Some of my green beans took a beating, tomatoes look no worse for the wear. Every time I look at the Cukes, I'm sad. Guess I'll clean them up early tomorrow. It already feels too hot to work...
Sharon

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America