-
AuthorContent
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9234754

I cannot find any critters and I have looked under every leaf. Do you think a Neem spray would help?

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9235244

Any slime trails?

Neem oil wouldn't hurt to try.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9235249

No slugs here, the soil is too salty but we do have these large snails that live in the mulch, maybe you are on to something.
Thanks.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9235302

Hope your snails aren't as big as the giant ones I saw in Okinawa a couple of weeks ago
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9235395

I thought it might be one of these guys but, after reading up on them, it seems they prey on other critters. They are usually in the mulch, this one was going across the driveway on his way to green pastures.

Rosy Wolfsnail

Thumbnail by ardesia

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9236107

Isn't yours cute?

Here are some of the ones from Okinawa. Glad they aren't in my back yard. The second one is of a pineapple top that must be a lure.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 8:24 PM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole   Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9236410

Ewwwwww, mine does look cute after seeing them.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9236896

Here is one I was holding for its portrait. Escargot anyone?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9237041

Just the GO part and far, far away...
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9238677

Maybe I won't get a house down south when I retire...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9238759

The big ones were in Okinawa, Japan. If the ones in GA were that big I'd move too (just kidding about the moving part).

Just be glad you don't have apple snails which can get HUGE but they are really freshwater snails so shouldn't be snacking on begonias. I had some in my old pond one time and they were going to town on the water lilies and lotus. Had to get rid of them due to the fact that they didn't eat algae only.

torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9238775

Oooooh!. A family member is thinking of buying a home and I will tell her to make sure to check what might possibly be lurking in her garden when she does move south in a couple of years.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 10:01 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9238777

LOL, I introduced an apple snail to my pond once, the guy in the fish store said they were fine. Yeah right, that darn thing climbed out of the pond and started in on the garden plants and it had a voracious appetite. It did lay gorgeous hot pink eggs on the stems of the water plants then I had to get rid of hundreds of them.

db, there are tradeoffs, we can garden 12 months of the year, something is always in bloom and many of my begonias are hardy. But, we do have bugs, it is sort of like black fly season all the time.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9238819

The one thing I like about winter is that it kill the bugs. But gardening 12 months a year is enticing...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9238834

Do you have earwigs, Ardesia? It looks more like earwig damage to me.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9238958

That's interesting, I do not usually see any earwigs but they are not unknown here. I haven't found any new damage so perhaps whatever chomped on it has moved on.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9239820

Good luck, Ardesia.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9239928

Could've been a big caterpillar based on the kind of damage shown.

Could it be mechanical damage and the plant scabs over the scarred, broken part of the leaf?

I think this is what I have on my Blue Wings begonia - a branch or pine needle penetrates/breaks the leaf and the plant repairs the wound as best it can. Not show worthy but the damaged leaves can still be used for propagation if one so desires.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9239963

Those darn pine needles, they make holes in everything don't they. I really thnk something was chewing on this one but whatever is was has gone on to greener pastures. Good idea about using the damaged leaves for propagation.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9263476

[quote="ardesia"]Those darn pine needles, they make holes in everything don't they. I really thnk something was chewing on this one but whatever is was has gone on to greener pastures. Good idea about using the damaged leaves for propagation. [/quote]

Same problem with acorns here. Our acorns are smaller, and they beat up the foliage on some of the softer leaved plants.
I have moved my B. exotica under cover because of it. It looks more like Begonia Swiss Cheese right now.

Alice, I had something similar to what's going on with yours, on Purple Snow and Don Miller...it all started when we got a ton of rain an the humidity has been so high...
I'm wondering if it's a bit of " leaf melting" ??? A good spray with fungicide and a few days vacation in a more protected area seemed to help.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9263845

Been super dry here, we have not had anything close to the amount of rain you got. No fungal diseases or melting leaves here this summer. It was definitly a critter but whatever it was quickly departed. Very strange, I have a few holes on a hibiscus now but once again, there is no sign of who or what is doing it. I have a lot of birds around and the baby cardinals are always in my plants, I hope they got whatever it was.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America