Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Onion Family Oddities - Anyone Growing Them?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9235666

I'm interested in planting potato onions, multiplier onions, Egyptian walking onions, perennial onions, shallots, scallions...

Please share your experiences and advice for growing them in central TX and which varieties you have and reliable sources for them! [I ordered walking onion sets in the past only to receive dried up little finger sized sets - very disappointing.]

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9235738

Sets are bulbs, slips are living roots, if they were too shriveled they weren't viable any longer.Shallots & Scallions are good, they all like cooler weather, but can be left in ground year round, all of those types like a rich well drained soil with partial or afternoon shade in Texas, all of em can be hard to get rid of once growing awhile, they should do well for you
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9236116

I'm not in central TX but... I do grow both the walking onion and the multiplier onion. They can both be left in perennial beds if you wish or can be harvested and the bed can be replanted through the summer season with other vegetables.

The multiplier is often called a potato onion also. I plant mine in Sept/Oct and they grow over winter. By May, the tops will die down and they can be harvested. The same is true with garlic.

I picked up my multipliers at the local feed store many years back and last year got some gumbo onions that are a multiplier also but a bit hotter onion.

Sorry but I've had the walking onions for so long I don't recall where they came from. I do recall they were received in bulb form and when planted, they developed the green tops. Kristi
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9236431

Thanks for the feedback!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9236455

Garden_Sass
I am growing Potato Onions and Walking Onions this year.
So far it is too early to see how they are doing, but I will keep you posted.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9236813

podster...so what were the multiplier onions like...size...taste. I ordered some this Spring but they won't ship until fall. Just curious...how deep east are you? Moved from New Caney about 20 yrs ago.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9237312

Hi Riceke ~ I'm not as far east as you are now LOL but I am about 2 hours north of New Caney, east of Lufkin near Toledo Bend deep in the pineywoods.

These multiplier onions are about the size of a quarter. They form large dinner plate sized clumps of onions. You can harvest the tender green growth in winter, In early summer, I dig these clumps, dry and separate them and use them as using normal onions albiet smaller. I set the larger onions aside and will replant them in the fall. The gumbos resemble these but are definitely a hotter taste.

Last fall, I also planted I'itoi's onion for the first time. The foliage is delicate and I haven't harvested any onions as I am trying to get a good batch established. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161092/ Kristi

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9238032

riceke, would it be to much to ask where you ordered from i would like to try these. Thanks

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9240960

Txtea...I order them from SESE (Southern Exposure Seed Exchange) on the Internet. I think I ordered 8 oz of bulbs @ $11.95. Haven't received them yet, they ship in September.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9241157

riceke, thank you for info.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9243258

Di nada

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America