Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Only male flowers on ALL my curcurbits?!?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9235875

Okay, okay... so not on my cucumbers, but the rest of my curcurbits (galia melons, hale's best melons, buttercup squash, butternut squash, yellow squash) are all producing only males flowers!

If something doesn't change soon, I'm not going to have a crop! Any suggestions for what is causing this?

Thanks! - Patty

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9236128

How long have they been flowering? They usually start with all males and then later produce females.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9236326

Here too.
Both my cucumbers and squash: ALL MALE FLOWERS.
I think it is just this incredible heat !!
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9236603

Planted in April... and I got a yellow squash or two in June... I guess it could be the heat, but it's no hotter than last summer... could it be old seeds?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9236635

Probably has more to do with the variety than anything. Hybrids usually produce more female flowers than OP varieties and some varieties take longer to start producing female flowers.
Another thing to consider, the ratio of male to female blossoms is determined long before you ever see a flower and depends largely upon growing conditions during the first few weeks after germination. Were the plants stressed during their first two weeks? Do your plants have powdery mildew? a virus?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9236643

happygirl345
I also planted my cucumbers and squash in April. But I had a lot of production.
The plants have been slowing down just recently with our 100+ F degrees heat and no rain.
So your problem must be something else ...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9236751

Deep south TX has been in the upper 90's for weeks and my new squash just started bearing this week, the plants are one month old. New cucumbers and melons are in full production and are young plants, probably 60-75 days old. You may be hotter than us though, I know most of TX has been incredibly hot.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9237915

Some of my "early melons" are only now making female blossoms,heat stress is my only comment.Usually melons do well in heat and sun ,not this year,they show signs of stress even when they look good.
Mine are all really ,slow to produce this year. That is from the garden not the farm.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 11, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9238073

Just a thought but just maybe after 4 or 5 months they have depleted the soil of the fertilizer they heed to produce more fruit

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9238164

That is always a good possibility, Compost tea and high potassium is what I have been feeding them.Some seasons as always there is no guarentee.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9238418

They produce only male flowers early to start attracting pollinators so when female flowers appear fertilzation is assured. They revert to male only when conditions are not ideal. That way pollinators are always on hand and the plant wastes no energy on fruiting. Aren't they smart? :)
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 12, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9238736

Try giving them a balanced fertilizer can't say it wil help but... I ran into this same scenario last year and the fertilizer helped one bed but not another could just be genetics and they are not going to fruit due to the shorting of the days..We are all trying to help but without seeing it up close we are just guessing LOL
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

August 14, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9241498

Mine were late! I'm just now starting to get fruit.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9241775

The weather is cooling down and FEMALE flowers are appearing !
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9254360

Have any of you used "easy bloom" -- its a cool little electronic gadget that you stick in the ground and turn on? A light goes from green to amber when it's done reading (usually a couple of days), then you plug it in to your computer and it has a ton of information -- I used it on my butternut squash -- water and sun are fine. But terribly underfertilized. I gave it a good dose of fish emulsion yesterday, and today I will give it a good drink of kelp... hopefully I will get it back to business before I lose the summer (which around here ends in mid October).

thanks for all your suggestions!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 26, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9254726

My squash blooms and blooms, but no fruit. I'm trying to have patience. Got my first baby green beans and first tiny tomatoes, so I'm happy about that. So sorry you are having problems with yours, too, Patty. I hope we all begin to see some fruit on them soon. It got down to 39 here, night before last, so, not much time left for outdoor gardens here.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9254748

My Moon&Stars melons gave me a nice surprise, two vines died in temperature changes this past week, like 98 day that dropped to 49 that same night, The surprise today was a melon that set bigger than a quarter with a bloom this morning is already larger than two golf balls at sunset tonight. GO!GO! GO!
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9258938

I have spotted two Galia melons, two Hale's. I am going to pull the Crane melon vines (they were planted in April and are now - wait for it - 5 inches long). Too much shade, I fear.

I will give the butternut and buttercup squash two more weeks, then yanking them too.

I feel these are failures for the year... and soon I will be able to tell myself they are "learning opportunities".

Darn it.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9259016

Shade, know you are disappointed, understandably. Do you have a place for melons that are full sun and would be the last place you would expect them to grow? Like a goathead- that's probably where they'll best. Better luck next year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America