Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Got a PINK lupin from natural seeding.

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9235994

Several years back, I had a pink lupin, and wanted to gather seed from it, but was told that it would revert back to bluish purple. Well, that plant died years ago, and this year a volunteer came up and it's pink! The other lupins seed all the time, and I'm always getting volunteers - this year I even got some that looked like a combo of purple and pink (quite pretty) so I'm a little confused...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9236062

It's normal to get some color variation when you have plants reseeding like that. Probably the person that told you your pink would revert to bluish purple was just trying to say that the seeds weren't guaranteed to come true, and since bluish purple is the more common color that there's a good chance they'd go back to that instead of pink. But you can get seedlings in a population like that which will end up a different color. Same deal though, no guarantee that seeds from the pink one would come up pink.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9236106

good to know - thanks! I'd hate to get seed from this with high expectations, lol
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9236168

You never know, you could get some pink seedlings from it so it's worth collecting seeds and trying, just don't be disappointed if you don't get pink babies. I don't know how easy it is to control pollination, but if you can try hand pollination to make sure that the pink plants only cross with each other and not with the purple ones, then over time you might end up with more pink ones. They still may not always come true, but continuing to cross pink with pink would probably over time result in higher percentages of pink

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9237918

? Were they wild or named cultivar,,,if wild pink and white happen only they are rare.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9253550

The original one I got as a plant at a nursery, that was pink - that was many years ago, and all I got from natural reseeding since, was purplish blue, and this combo of purplish blue/pink (that was quite pretty) then suddenly I got this new pink one again!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America