Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchid Cactus: Need some advice

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 3, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9236362

I've got these epi's growing in hanging baskets that are stacked. My question is should I prune the long stems or leave them. I didn't know if it affected the blooming of each plant to cut the long stems. If I do need to prune, do you prune the entire stem down to the base of the plant? I know they grow crazy like this because of lack of sunlight due to the solid roof over my screened porch. I don't have any other option and don't want to grow them outside under a tree as the disease issues are much higher.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Click the image for an enlarged view.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9236363

Don't know why the photo didn't show up in the first post.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9237379

The plants you have look healthy and I notice blooms are evidence of the plant showing you that they are happy where they are. You can trim them up if you like/
the stems that are rod like and grow rapidly longer can be cut at any length that you choose. If left alone new stems will develop at the top of these long rods. I personally like this look. You can cut the rods into 8 inch sections and allow them to root and give them to friends. I do this at work by placing the stems in water and allow roots to develop. This way I don't feel guilty ! bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9239540

Thanks for the info!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America