Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 10, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9236660

I have a long narrow bed that I always thought got enough sun to qualify for full sun. It looks ok and has different things that keep it in bloom. My issues is this. The plants I want to grow wont do so here. Agastache dies and so have a lot of other tough and native plants. I might be over estimating the sun or over watering. Each year I try new things with little success. Take a look at this ironweed. It was supposed to be a TX native but you can see its too tall and lanky which suggest too litle sun. Any ideas about the area or suggestions? I want mostly natives and the soil is quite sandy in there. On the other side of this bed a rock penstemon is doing great and I want a couple more for that area.
C
pic from where I sit and view it, not too bad right now
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 10, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9236662

The iron weed. I bought it from HCGardens but not sure what it really is. It was growing out so I know the center of the bed is too shady.

C
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 10, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9236665

It could be pretty if it were grown properly.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9236773

Cheryl it is Woolly iron weed, Vernonia linhiemeri, it is very pretty but doesn't do as well here as the western iron weed, I plant to keep trying. I think your bed looks very nice considering the temperatures we are having.
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=VELI3
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 10, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9236800

What is it about our area it dislikes?

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9236810

I'm with Josephine, I think the area looks nice. But I do have the same frustration as you, certain parts of my flowerbeds simply won't grow the natives that I want it to grow. Agastache is one that I have never had success with, for some reason. In the hard-to-grow areas, I've had success with Indigo Spire, Cigar Plants, and the Salvia greggiis.

Carla
teacup754
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9237680

What I struggle with is many of the plants I used when I first started ended up being what someone else descibes as "little leaf plants" All the leaves were small and especially from a distance ended up looking the same..So I've been experimenting with trying to get some textures in the beds. One thing I was given last year that I'm pleased with is a Texas spider lily. The contrast of the thick leaves seems to a step in the right direction of providing contrast among the salvias,skullcap and lantana it is near...May be something like a yucca would be good in full sun in your yard?In another area I planted some ornamental grasses and their movement is a nice contrast. So slowly it seems to be working. Of course then I have the usual failures because something may look good in my mind, but I can't get it to grow...but that's a whole other story...
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9237704

How wide is that bed from front to back? You might try something like Frostweed, Turk's Cap, Lantana, Mealy Blue Sage, tropical milkweed.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9237981

Vanilla grass, variegated, red yucca,
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 11, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9238008

It's pretty narrow. I want some really xeric natives and those just don't want the area. I have all the usual plants listed in various places but I am becoming pretty snooty and want the unusual.
C
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

August 17, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9245081

I love turks cap. I have about 4 different types. When was in LA at a nursery the one they had was humungus!!!
Mickey
Az
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9245668

My Wine Cup, Spiderwort,Drummond Phlox & Esperanza all do well in full sun with no extra water. Dayflowers too but they become VERY invasive & take over. My Lemongrass does well also. It's not indiginous but I use it to cook Thai & Vietnamese food so it's worth it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America