Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar: More thanks

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and VinegarReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9236753

It is always good to read about what works and what doesn't and I am a big fan of Linda Chalker Scott.

I too had tried the 5% vinegar and found it to be an ineffective herbicide. Recently however, I tried the 20% vinegar which is available through agricultural supply places and found it to be outstanding - for annual weeds. When sprayed during the hottest part of the day it takes out difficult weeds like chamber bitter within hours. You must follow appropriate safety procedures when using this vinegar however as it is strong enough to burn through skin and/or seriously damage your eyes.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9236761

Interesting article. I also have found newspaper, at least in sheets, to be a poor mulch. It actually forms a waterproof block and prevents light rain or light watering from penetrating the soil.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9237096

I'd like to add my thanks for this wonderful article, in particular the really helpful and instructional info about bone meal, NPK, and mycorrhizae. I do test my soil, and at work (at a local nursery) encourage our customers to do the same, but this is just more great info to help in trouble-shooting when they come in with troubles. Absolutely excellent info, thank you again!
GardenRiot
Ashville, OH

August 13, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9239679

These articles are the first ones I read every time. Thank you so much once again for doing the research and letting us know from unbiased sources what really works. You're great!
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

September 23, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9283917

ardesia wrote:It is always good to read about what works and what doesn't and I am a big fan of Linda Chalker Scott.

I too had tried the 5% vinegar and found it to be an ineffective herbicide. Recently however, I tried the 20% vinegar which is available through agricultural supply places and found it to be outstanding - for annual weeds. When sprayed during the hottest part of the day it takes out difficult weeds like chamber bitter within hours. You must follow appropriate safety procedures when using this vinegar however as it is strong enough to burn through skin and/or seriously damage your eyes.

I only use 20% vinegar for weeds that surface in my space and that includes Bermuda grass. I spray in the morning and by midday they are dead and I mean dead. Everything I spray dies and does not regrow and as I am spraying you can here the leaves cracking and popping. I have used it for 5 years and my parents used it for twice that so if it was a myth then it must of been the pressure that killed all the ragweed in back.

Regarding bone meal and the claims that people have attached to make it sell is nothing more than the lies that any other company spreads to make a buck. I do use org bone meal in my cactus mix as do I use it in various composts and soils I mix. Bone meal is great when used as it is meant to be just as blood meal is but when people attach false info it's up to the plant aficionados to stand up and make it right.

Unless you are buying prepared soils common grounds do not all have proper levels of P and Ca and I have numerous soil tests to prove this. I think if people are going to do trial test that they should be done in non climatic controlled labs as this does nothing for joe noid who wants to grow or use and item in his yard.

The water crystals are a big deal with china sellers and targeting hydroponic growers but obviously people outside this niche are trying to get rich by spreading lies.

Great article none the less.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks poisondartfrog 0 Aug 10, 2012 5:26 AM
Newspaper as mulch dodges7 3 Aug 14, 2012 4:13 AM
Newspaper as barrier lauragene 1 Aug 13, 2012 8:09 AM
Bonemeal, Newspaper & Hydrogel MerryKold 1 Aug 16, 2012 8:39 AM
A little late on my part soive2000 1 Aug 23, 2012 9:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America