Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar: Newspaper as mulch

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and VinegarReplies: 3, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dodges7
Alna, ME
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9236901

Tried this a few years ago betweeen rows in the vegetable garden, four sheets of newspaper covered with about three inches of grass. It does work reasonably well but, wet or dry, you have to be extremely careful walking because it becomes very slippery. Never tried it again and now shred (by hand) newspapers and add them to the compost pile.
phw426
Arlington, TN

August 13, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9239704

I do this all the time however I apply a layer of hardwood mulch over the top. It has been wonderful in preventing weed growth and is easy to place around the existing plants. It seems that where it has been used the earthworms are the most happy...I suggest this as a practice. I have never used newspaper alone or with any other type of mulch other than hardwood.
Shers101
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

August 13, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9240162

I do the same as phw, always put mulch on top and have had great success at keeping the weeds at bay. By the next spring the newspaper has really broken down and only bits of it can be found. I love newspaper as a mulch base!
LGME05
Broken Arrow, OK

August 14, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9240882

Many layers of newspaper under hardwood mulch works well. I overlap edges by several inches to avoid gaps. I like knowing that the paper breaks down and have used this method for 15 years.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks poisondartfrog 0 Aug 10, 2012 5:26 AM
More thanks ardesia 4 Sep 23, 2012 9:46 AM
Newspaper as barrier lauragene 1 Aug 13, 2012 8:09 AM
Bonemeal, Newspaper & Hydrogel MerryKold 1 Aug 16, 2012 8:39 AM
A little late on my part soive2000 1 Aug 23, 2012 9:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America