Photo by Melody

Garden Pests and Diseases: What's ailing my cucumbers?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 4, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hagar3
Byron, GA

August 10, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9237077

Most of the leaves on my cucumbers look like the picture below. What is the problem? My first guess is some kind of fungus. Can anyone identify it and recommend a treatment.

Byron.

Thumbnail by Hagar3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9237148

Definitely not a fungus. Looks like cucumber mosaic virus, although I'm not a veggie expert so maybe there are other problems that have similar symptoms http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenproblems/ig/Insects-and-Diseases-of-Plants/Mosaic-Virus.htm
AutumnButterfly
Rockford, IL

August 11, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9237824

If its on the plants around your cucumber and on other plants in your garden and they're is webs then i'd say its mites. That can be cured by 50:50 water and rubbing alcohol, but dont go past that because it also kills other things that may benifit. If you do do that make sure you get under the leaves. Mites also hate dampness.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9237881

I don't think it's spider mites--the stippled yellow pattern you see from them is typically a much finer pattern (smaller yellow spots). Doesn't hurt to check the underside of the leaves though just in case--you'd see them as little teeny tiny reddish or brownish dots.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9238752

Easiest way to check for mites: hold a sheet of white paper under a leaf, flick the leaf with your finger, check paper for little "specks" that move. If you use a magnifying glass you can tell if they are two spotted mites or some other kind.
The leaf symptoms look to me like a mosaic virus, not mites. If it is a virus there is no cure. If you leave a virused plant the disease can be spread with tools, by touching it and then touching a healthy plant and by aphids and/or cucumber beetles.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America