Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9237395

I've never grown dill in my garden before, but I grew some this year and made cucumber pickles with it. When I planted it I remembered that when my grandpa grew dill, colorful green/black/yellow caterpillars would feed on it and I wondered if they'd come. Yep - today I noticed dozens of those caterpillars on my dill plants - they're really eating them up.

I got on the Internet, found pictures, and discovered that these dill-eating caterpillars turn into Eastern Black Swallowtail butterflies (Papilio polyxenes). It seems that here in the Ozarks we also have our own similar, rare Black Swallowtail species, Papilio joanae - so these caterpillars are one or the other. They're welcome to the dill, I'm done with it, and since I'm not growing any other plants from the carrot family that they feed on - we don't have a problem.

I'm glad to have these - according to the article I read the butterflies from these caterpillars will emerge next May or June. Instead of a new pest in the garden as I'd feared, we'll have more butterflies around, so I'll start planting some dill every year (and always get my pickles made before these hungry guys hatch out). Here's a picture I took several years ago of a Black Swallowtail on one of my tomato plants.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9237657

Congratulations Ozark! Maybe you will be lucky enough to see some of them emerge from their chrysalises. They emerge very tiny with scrunched up wings and have to hang around for a while (sometimes an hour or so, depending) before the wings are fully extended and rigid enough for them to fly. Pretty soon you'll be hooked and start looking online for other host plants to add to your garden that other butterflies in your area will lay eggs on...i'll betchya :-D

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America