Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Avocado tree continuously suckering. Anyone know why?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
banyanman
San Mateo
Philippines

August 11, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9237668

I have an old avocado tree that produces 100+ excellent fruit each year, but it continuously produces suckers from the bottom of the trunk. Those in the photograph on the left are over a meter high and grew to that size in less than three weeks - so it is a vigorously growing tree. I know to cut them off, but within another month there will be more suckers to the same size. The tree is healthy so I am not worried about it (the suckers go straight onto the compost heap) but I am wondering why my tree is continuously producing so many suckers.

Do other gardeners in the tropics have the same experience? Does anyone know why the tree is suckering so much? (I live in the Philippines in what would be the equivalent of Zone 14 in the US)

I have consulted all my tropical fruits books and searched for information on the Web (including DG forums), but haven't found any clues to date.

Thumbnail by banyanman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

August 12, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9238989

The tree may throw suckers when the roots are restricted.

Main thing is, if the tree produces fruit it is a good tree!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America