Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa sinensis seeds got eaten inside out by worms!

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9237686

Hello, as I posted in the pest thread:
Buried the seeds 2 weeks ago with a new opened MG seed starting mix and new opened bag of perlite, mixed equal parts. Within 7 days 2 sprouted and today I got suspicious because none followed. All the other seeds have little holes in them and the ones which weren't totally hollow yet, had 2 or 3 tiny skinny translucent worms in them. In the picture you can see the worm and another in the seed. They were completely translucent, no black heads as it might appear in the pic (that's just a spec of dirt).
Now what happened? Were they in the soil and went in the seeds? That's what I'm thinking and I'm quite angry because those were valuable seeds. Anyone ever had the same issue or know what this is?

Thumbnail by birke   Thumbnail by birke   Thumbnail by birke
Click an image for an enlarged view.

frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9237841

Hi, Birke,
I have the same issue with some kind of weevil that eats my seeds from the inside out leaving holes. This year, after collecting my seeds I left them in a ziploc baggie and waited to seed if the same thing would happen as in previous years. After a couple of weeks sure enough, I checked the baggie and there were tiny black bugs/beetles with tiny white worms coming out of some of the seeds. So I took the bag and stuck it in my freezer for a few days. That seems to have taken care of the problem, but now I have to see if the seeds are still viable. I know the ones with the holes are no good, but hopefully I saved enough of the seeds from the weevils.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9238002

Hi tausnow, are those hibiscus rosa sinensi or the moscheutus? I read about the weevil as a predator for the moscheutus seeds, but didn't find any info for the sinensis seeds problem I have.
Interesting that you mention white worms. Are they translucent white or plain white?
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9250248

Mine are the moscheutus seeds and the worms could have been translucent...didn't look at them that closely. Still haven't had a chance to see if they are still viable though. Very busy in the garden right now trying to save what's left from the deer.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9261991

birke, that worm looks like a fungus gnat larva. Any little black buggies flying around your pots?

Edited to add: They may have come with the bag of soil. The last three bags of MG I bought had fungus gnats.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 7:47 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America