Photo by Melody

Plumerias: Can't repot because of space.

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 5, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9237700

Hello everyone! I need to figure out what I should do if the only outdoor placement of my Plumies is on a small deck. Can I dig them out of the pot and then repot them in the same pot since I have very limited space?

Please let me know...

Thanks much
Barry

Thumbnail by Barrysewall
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

August 12, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9238615

Barry, I'm no expert on Plumerias but in general I have found that plants that aren't given room to grow and adequate care don't perform very well. I'm one of those people that if I want 1 I root several then I have your dilema. I solve the problem by giving the surplus to family and friends. That way if something happens to mine I know where to get more cuttings. 2 or 3 happy plants will produce more foliage and flowers than 7 or 8 stressed ones. The hardest job in gardeing is culling out the weak and surplus.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9245667

Plumerias can be taken out of the pot, the soil washed from the roots and stored in a dark, cool closet. If you don't have room for the pots during growing season, that's another matter and Susie is right - donate them to someone who DOES have room for an adequate pot OR extend your deck.
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9247019

YEPPER
DAVEDON
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9393872

Same problem; considering raised bed and drop pot (plunge) against house. You can make the bed very dense I notice and get lots of plants in small space. 1 foot apart?
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

January 26, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9398103

As a disciple of the inestimable tapla, I'd suggest you try creating more "space" in the same size pot, by re-potting into an optimal mix. Doubly good might be "same-size" but deeper pots.

You should refer to tapla's incredibly valuable posts for full detail, but the optimal mix would contain materials (notably, "turface") which afford maximum root oxygenation. To a plant, more oxygenation space in the same pothas the same effect as a larger pot. Deeper pots would have the additional benefit of lowering the perch level, so perched water takes up less of the oxygenation zone. Either option on its own would work; both together would work at least twice as well.

Hail, tapla! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073399/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America