-
AuthorContent
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9237829

I bought a beautiful Mandevilla plant and just left it in the pot as I know I have to bring it in in the winter time...I but it in a bigger pot as it was root bound. Before I did I notice the leaves turning brown and it dying what happened to it it looks terrible? It's been hot here so I have been watering it

Thumbnail by kountrykitten   Thumbnail by kountrykitten   Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9237887

If you damaged the roots a little bit while repotting it could be transplant shock. I'd move it to a shadier area until the roots have a chance to recover from repotting. But if you were seeing symptoms before you repotted, then it's likely a watering issue (could be that you've watered it too much/too little, but if you just bought it, it could also be from over/under-watering while at the nursery you bought it from). Either way I'd make sure you're watering it properly now and keep it out of the sun until it recovers a bit.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9239815

Thank you so much...It was beautiful when I bought it at Lowe's but when I got it home it started dying. I had it on our deck which is warm so I probably over watered it. I went and bought another one yesterday...Some of the leaves are yellow, they were clearanced what is that from? Thank you for your help...

kk
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9240778

If you can post a picture of the yellow leaves someone might be able to tell you why, but yellow leaves can be a symptom of tons and tons of different problems. Overwatering or underwatering would be probably the most likely culprits for a plant that was on the clearance rack, but it's hard to say for sure.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9243789

Thank you here are the pictures of the yellow leaves..I realize it will be a challenge to grow this but I want to try

Thumbnail by kountrykitten   Thumbnail by kountrykitten   Thumbnail by kountrykitten      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9247961

Mandevilla (Dipladenia) are easy to grow and are not as tender as people think, You are right in the fact they like to be kept on the dry side but believe me, that does not mean that it has to be kept bone dry, they require watering every 2-3 days if in pots, and especially if the soil is very fast / free draining.

I have to grow mine indoors and can put them out a few weeks in summer IF the climate is warm enough, they like sun but not baked in the hot sun and also I add some shop bought compost to the soil mix as this helps to add humus to the soil and it holds some moisture for longer than free draining.
They require a feed with half strength liquid plant food every couple of weeks in the growing season, make sure you remove all the spent withering flowers so the plant cant make seeds or the flowering will stop.
The plant you have in the large pot needs re-potting into a slightly smaller pot with better soil, keep it in a well lit place but out of the full hot sun till it recovers, don't forget to water the plant and dont let it sit in a saucer of water after watering, pour off the residue water after an hour as this will be enough water for a couple of days, to test for watering, stick your finger into the soil and feel if wet / damp, if dry water the plant, if wet, wait for a few days.
Hope this helps you out and the plant can be saved. By the way forgot to tell you that your plant is a climber and will need tied to a cane or other support.
WeeNel.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9248908

Thank you so much WeeNel I appreciate the information and will follow your advice. Thanks again

KK
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 28, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9257424

Your more than welcome KK, let us know how things go and dont expect everything to get better over night, it will be maybe a week before you see any difference.
Best of Luck, WeeNel.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9261010

kountrkitten---

If you buy the other kind of mandevilla--the one with the rough. leathery leaves--
you will never have a problem.
I had the red flowering ones once--and they did NOTHING!

Here are the ones I plant every year---they have big. pink blooms and climb as high
as you give them support to climb on.

These NEVER, EVER fail me! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

candybars41
Weymouth, MA

September 6, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9267210

wow Gina...your picture is great and your plant is almost identical to the one I recently bought. I had no idea what it was but just thought it so pretty. I have it on my front porch and it looks great but apparently this plant is a vine type yes? So basically I could put this near something and direct the leggy branches or wrap them around something? I see u have yours on a kind of trellis...will you bring your plant inside once the cold weather arrives? I am such a novice I really don't know anything! :)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9267242

candybars---

Looks like you are in New England. What is your zone?

Usually, one enters one's zone so it appears under your name. Check out mine.
If you have not done so--go to your personal info. and add it.

I have heard that Mandevilla's roots can be brought in and saved, but I have never done it.
I buy a new one every year for $20. Not worth with all the saving hassles.
I save 3 Brugmansias in my basement every year as it is--just no more room.

I LOVE. LOVE this plant!!!! It climbs as high as I have a trellis for it to climb on--and them it starts
drooping back down and still blooming away.
It is insect free--and I have never seen it have any problems.

You can make your own trellis for it. They don't sell 8' trellises...
Go to Home Depot and buy 4 1"x2"x8' slats. Use 2 of them for the sides--and cut up the other two in 12" or 14" sections
for the cross supports. Nail or screw them all together--and you have an 8' trellis--ladder like. That is what I did.
And--i am NOT a handy person!!!! Screwing will make it more sturdy.

Let me see if I can find a picture where it, actually, shows the trellis part.
This will do! It is of the top of it--and you can see a bit of the trellis as well as the plant
starting to "fall down" on itself--but blooming away.

SO--SOO beautiful!!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America