Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: Splitting, cracking, rain, help!

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 9, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9238220

Hi everyone. I need advice. A couple of things.
I'm worried that all my tomatoes are going to crack, split or be eaten alive by some alien insect!

So I've been experiencing cracking and I'm being careful about watering and then we had a lot of rain starting Thursday and Friday. Just went out to check, and voila, some have split! As well I found what looks like droppings on some leaves where I had found some skinny little critter and a couple of small tomatoes had been attacked. I sprayed with an insecticidal soap but don't know if it's going to work.
I'm removing all tomatoes that have any cracks in them. At this point I might have to harvest most of them and hope for the best.
Also. GoldMedal toms. I was given a couple of them. They are tall and lush, a few tomatoes
that are getting large, and lots of flowers becoming fruits. I think I should cut off tops. Any hopes I will actually get to eat any of these babies???
It's still raining Jnette, and I hear my tomatoes split!!!! I took your advice and posted a new thread although it took me forever to figure out how! LOL
Sharon
WillyFromAZ
Sierra Vista, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9238336

Two things. First, insecticidal soap only works if you spray it directly on the bug. It suffocates them and will do nothing to them if they just "walk" through it. Second, 'maters just split sometimes no matter what we do. Some varieties split more than others. I have a tough time growing Gold Medal without splits.Try to water evenly, but enjoy those that split by cutting off the damaged part and eating/cooking/canning the rest. Good luck!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9238449

Sharon, so glad to see your thread here. Bet you get some outstanding advice like Willy's. Glad he jumped in so fast. Only thing you didn't put was that they are in containers. Type of containers?

Jeanette
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9238458

Hi Jnette, my containers are a thick foam type, it hold moisture well. But with proper drainage holes, it doesnt hold the water in. They are large, probably 10 gallon size.
Gold Medals are in the ground. I'm pretty vigilant about light fertlizing thru out the growing season.
What's funny is that I had a yellow cherry in a pot that had a blocked drain and I watered not realizing it wasn't draining and the plant looked like a goner. After I was able to open the drain hole the plant perked up and it's huge!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9238592

That is funny. It was probably drowning. Poor thing. I am really disappointed in my cherry tomatoes this year. They are really sad. Even if they ripen etc. there are very few on them. I have never had a problem with Sun Sugars before. I used to plant Sweet Millions and they are really good. But I think if the SS do well, they can't be beat.

Well, time to hit the sack. ttyl,
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 12, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9238672

Sharon, I answered all your questions elsewhere so I'll just summarize without cutting and pasting from elsewhere.

I explained why and how fruits split.

I said I wouldn't top anything at this point in the season, and why,

You had asked elsewhere if anyone had grown Gold Medal, I said I had and linked to Tania's page about it and shared with you more about the general subject of the gold/red bicolors.

And then told you I knew how much rain you've been getting since I've been trying to watch the Rogers tennis Cup, woman at Montreal and men at Toronto, and the many rain delays they've had to deal with. ( smile)

Carolyn
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9238737

Hi Carolyn, so it is you! I know, you've given me great advice. Don't want you to repeat yourself. At my age, that happens a lot! So today is sunny, you should be able to watch some good tennis hopefully. Haven't checked my toms yet, but it really came down last night. There was flooding in some areas. I will go to Tania's page. Guess I'm being a nervous nelly as the GM's were from a cousin who farms up north. He thought I might have a fertilization problem and then possibly a pollination one because it seemed to take the flowers forever to set fruit. But then, voila, they've started. But not the fastest growing variety. Like I said I wondered if the intense heat slowed it down.
Anyways , we shall see. I would love some of your recommendations for next year.
Happy tennis watching!!!!!
Sharon
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 13, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9240455

Sharon, I went back to your posting at Tville to see if you'd asked for suggestions for next year, and you didn't, but then laughed a bit b'c you had directed your first post to me, asking if I was around, which I was.

If I'm going to offer suggestions I can't do it without you telling me what you're after as in:

Beefsteaks, what color,and PL or RL
Cherries, what are you after, color, etc.
Heart varieties, what color,
Paste varieties, heaven forbid, what colors/shapes
Early varieties
Gold/red bicolors
Small fruited non-cherries, color prefence

Well, you get the picture I'm sure. LOL

Carolyn

hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9240616

Hi Carolyn, I joined too many forums! I definitely want suggestions. I am not going to grow any more paste tomatoes. I find them too wimpy for me and I don't have good luck.
Really, I am still so new to this. I would love a beefsteak, something early. Someone recommended Sioux? I love a juicy, tart tomato, color doesn't matter. What do you think of Black Krim? My son is growing it and loves it. I'm not a fan of Brandywine. Too mealy for me. I'm hoping gold medal works if the squirrels don't destroy it. In the cherries, I have great results with Sungold yellow (don't know which one), black cherry. I am growing GZ and might actually get some decent ones. Also Tigerella which is too soon to tell. And of course, my Japanese black trifele. Not sure if I overwatered. It's pretty juicy but it seems to get really soft fast which I guess happens with the black varieties.
Is there a benefit to Pl vs Rl? Speaking of which the JBT is showing some purple on the outer edges of the older leaves.
How's that so far? I'm just really starting to learn I need a mentor, if you feel like taking me on, step by step. I'm going to order your book and have it sent to family in the US. They don't ship to Canada,
Sorry for all the confusion. Too many forums then I forget which thread I answered in which forum. Make any sense? Can we have our own one going? I'm happy to share, just as long as I dont have to figure out where I posted lol!
Thanks a million. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9240766

Sharon, I might have some seeds left of my Early Bush Beef Steak. I get nice size tomatoes on it, and quite a few. But, maybe that is just my luck and may not be yours.

Carolyn, have you ever tried them?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America