-
AuthorContent
dancer24
Brooklyn, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9238505

This plant is growing on my property in Dane county, Wisconsin near Madison. I tasted it and it tasted like a blueberry. Wondering what it might be. Anyone know? Thank you

Thumbnail by dancer24
Click the image for an enlarged view.

VineWorld

VineWorld
Syracuse, UT
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9238514

its pokeweed, phyotolacca americana.

EDIT: as a side note, please don't eat any more berries, as they are toxic...

This message was edited Aug 11, 2012 10:27 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9238533

Never eat anything unless you know what it is!!! oh my gosh, did you get sick???
dancer24
Brooklyn, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9238542

Well we only ate one feel fine. Good to know but spit out blue juice for a long time. But I read online if cooked not toxic that you can make pies with them. Is this true?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9238573

http://altnature.com/gallery/pokeweed.htm

notice the caution...
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9238590

I will now say that the offical most commonly asked for ID plant there is in The Plant ID forum is...Pokeberry!

Happy Gardening!

Dustin

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9238808

Stick around.

You'll see White Mulberry in all its incarnations...wild grapes...incredibly vague indistinguished native cherries...and my favorite battle:

Catalpa! Paulownia! Catalpa! Paulownia! Isnotistooisnotistooisnotistoo...

And just wait till the humble alternately arranged pinnately compound foliaged seedling emerges - with or without slight serrations on the leaflet margins. That's when the mayhem erupts.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9238822

Dancer, you will see sites that suggest Pokeweed/Phytolacca as a food source...It was used extensively in the South, but it is WAY more trouble than it is worth given the risks.It falls under the heading...Survivalist food. I have tasted the end result of the SAFE preparation process...It REALLY isn't worth the hassle or the risk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca

Dustin, I agree with Viburnum Valley...just wait til Spring. You will see tons of DYC and DWC queries...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damned_yellow_composite
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9238827

Your right on Viburnum! I will be sticking around for as long as I can! ;) I have already seen ID battles take place, they are very funny to watch... even more so if you know the true answer...grin

Happy Gardening!

Dustin
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9238840

Oh yes Moon... I can't wait till the battles begin... grin
Hey moon, have you heard of the ombu tree? It is in the same genus that the pokeberry is in. It is a super close relative. It is really a giant herb reaching hights more that 100 feet tall! I have always wanted one, because they are a herb that get real big! I just thought I would thow in a piece of infomation there, I like doing that!

Happy Gardening!

Dustin
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9238848

Just adding my two cents... Thanks for the ID also as as that one is growing next to my Burning Bush/Cork Bush/ Euonymus alatus (see my thread earlier today: Unusual plant with "fins") and grape vine. I'd never eat one of them. Just look interesting and birds seem to like them, so they stay.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9239037

The birds will make sure they stay despite any efforts to the contrary.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9239162

Yes, I have seen references to Arbol Ombu as a fast growing Argentinian tree, but never really looked into it...How neat...since Poke Sallet grows freely here, I wonder if I could find an Ombu tree? Grin Ain't Nature grand?

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph24.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_dioica

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9239229

HL_Nursery777 wrote: ombu tree ... It is really a giant herb

It's a tree, with (soft) wood; the idea that it's a herb is a popular myth.

Resin
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9239568

Oppps! Well, you really do learn something new every day! Sorry about that, I am often real good at finding out what's true or not, but not today! :)
That is so cool that you already knew about the ombu tree Moon! If you ever find one, let me know, I want some seeds of it, BAD!

Happy Gardening, and thanks for correcting me Resin!

Dustin

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9239801

You would be surprised the plants that pop up during searches...just wish I had an eidetic memory...grin
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9240386

Thanks themoonhowl for the two additional sites.

While I'm not looking to eat the leaves (or berries!) even in Allens bag, being forewarned is good, as new neighbors are a young couple, and if they ever have kids I'd make sure the plant is moved or eradicated to protect them from curiosity at the blue "berries", as its too close to our low fence. Hmm does planting the berries make it grow somewhere else? It only springs up by itself from its old stalk area, does not seem to be propagating anywhere else in area or yard or fortunately anyone else's yard that I can see in area. Mine grows to over 6 feet tall with thick "hollow" woody stem that I eventually pull out next spring as the new stem grows up from where old one was. Nothing says re care or propagation in the websites unless I missed reading it!

Thanks so much again!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9240487

You are very welcome. It is coming back from the root, and you don't usually see propagation info on them as most folks see them as an invader to the garden.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9240770

It will grow from the seeds that are inside the berries. The reason you probably don't see babies popping up right next to it is because birds consider the berries quite yummy, so the seeds get distributed wherever the birds fly off to after they eat them. So chances are you will get other plants in your yard at some point because birds will deposit gifts somewhere either from your plant or another one somewhere in the area, but it won't necessarily pop up right next to the current plant.
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9241112

Thanks for all the information! I might try dropping a few berries into the soil further away from the fence and see if they take so I don't have to worry about losing the only one I got if kids arrive.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9241728

It's generally considered a weed, I'd do some homework on it before you decide to plant more of it on purpose.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9241803

Unless a giant asteroid hits the east coast, you have not seen the last of this plant. You are not going to "lose the only one" you've got, as already you undoubtedly have more you haven't discovered yet. There is no need to be concerned with a shortage of this plant once one arrives in or near your yard. Folks are trying to be gently blunt, with good reason.
liltexasgal
Blum, TX

January 14, 2013
1:39 AM

Post #9384188

I live in Texas and I will GLADLY mail you 100 of mine! The only reason they don't get chopped up, gasolined and burned to the ground it because the darned chicken like them so much and its really funny to watch the chickens and guinneas jump up to reach the higher berries! I guess that's why we have so many of them is because the chickens eat them and "process them" and don't fly away like other birds, so we get stuck with where the seeds get deposited. Anyway, please respect those of us who unhappily own these plants and DO NOT plant the seeds. We will happily relinquish what we have. ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America