Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: Help with picking vines for garden please

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HL_Nursery777
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9238588

Hello, and thanks for helping, Here is what I pefer your recommended vines to be.
-The vines must be Perennial vines, or herbaceous perennial vines will be fine also.
-Grows taller than 10 feet.
-Grows well in Zone 9a
-Tough and strong vine, and can handle abuse.
-Has to be at least somewhat Drought Tolerant.
-Has to be heat tolerant.
-I pefer blooms, and/or hummer and butterfly attracting vines. Big leaves are cool too! Cool and/or edible fruit would be awesome too! Note: This is pefered, not needed.
-Can be invasive, but no to the point it will go invade the woods near where it will be growing. I can hack down sprouts that come up every now and then that pop up around the vine.
But please note, I have these listed below, so don't say these!
Confederate Jasmine
Coral Honeysucle
Blue sky vine.

Happy Gardening and Thanks!

Dustin

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 11:15 AM

Thumbnail by HL_Nursery777
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9239838

Hi Dustin. The Sweet Autumn clematis meets all of those requirements. It needs regular water until established. I have had one growing for the past 10 years and I have not given it any supplemental water since the first year. It will form a trunk like wisteria.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/683/

You mention Coral Honeysuckle...is that Tecomaria capensis, Cape honeysuckle? http://www.floridata.com/ref/t/teco_cap.cfm

this one can be invasive, but it is pretty...Trumpet vine

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9239980

I just threw out my sweet autumn clematis because it couldn't tolerate the drought this year. Plus it was in a location I kept forgetting about it. Shame on me. But one that I have been very proud of this year especially is 'Dropmore Scarlet' Lonicera x brownii. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56118/
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9242116

Hiya!
The trumpet vine is a good idea and you can't beat it for hummingbird appeal. I think i have the Clematis mentioned above, it gets big clusters of small creamy white flowers with a nice delicate leaf and vine. However, it is Very Invasive in my yard, coming up all over, strangling anythig it can get a hold of. It was here before we moved in, so it may be that it has established itself over the years. I find it coming up as far as 10 feet away from the main plant. The flowers are lightly fragrant if i remember from last year, but not sure about that. I have seen songbirds enjoying the seed head clusters in the fall.
What about a passion vine? They fit your req's and will provide fruit . The flowers are so beautiful and exotic! Many people find that planting it in a pot in the ground can keep it from becoming a bully. I dont have a problem with it taking over, it is vigorous, but well behaved in my yard. Bumblebees like the flowers and i find them asleep on the job all the time on a passionflower. They are also a nectar plant for butterflies of several types as well as a host plant for one particular type that i cant remember the name of.
You could toss down a few annual vine seeds to add color or hummer interest. I grew both cardinal vine and hyacinth bean vine this year and both have been quite a hit with hummingbirds as well as those odd clearwing hummingbird moths. The hyacinth bean pods are edible when young and are a stunning bright violet purple. The deep purple stems and veins are set off nicely by the dark green leaves. No matter what you choose, any of the suggestions will make a good addition.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9281224

I had my sweet autumn clematis in a large pot burried in the ground and I never had any issues with it. I was worried that it would try to escape the pot but it never did. It didn't even send little rootlets out of the drainage holes. So if you like that vine, maybe you should try that method. Honeysuckles do have aphid issues but with hummingbirds being attracted to them, they can get a buffet of nectar and insects. ladybugs are all too happy to help as well. Mine has grown so much this year I hope to see that happen next year.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 9:59 AM

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 10:01 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America