-
AuthorContent
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9238698

I have an unusual plant that just appeared this or last year.

It does not have thorns like wild rose bushes or other types of plants that protect themselves.

It has hard "fins" like long rows of thin wood on the branches between each leaf stem or branch.

I tried to take it from several angles. Most of the photos are vertically taken so rotate them 90 degrees to the right...as thumbnails show them in wrong direction.

I'm in the NorthEast and this faces NorthEast behind a fence that casts a shadow most of the day, so say its growing in a shade spot is quite true.

Tell me if its worth keeping as the gardeners hacked at this a few days ago so I'm trying to see if I can save it.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Lite_GreenThumb   Thumbnail by Lite_GreenThumb   Thumbnail by Lite_GreenThumb   Thumbnail by Lite_GreenThumb   Thumbnail by Lite_GreenThumb
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9238727

Looks like you have Burning Bush, Cork Bush, Winged Euonymus - Euonymus alatus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1705/ There is a reason it "just appeared"; it is invasive and you probably have more, or will. It gives nice color in the fall, but it will spring up throughout your property, as well as your neighbor's. Give serious consideration to keeping this out of your yard.
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9238735

Yes! Thanks!

Its in a bed of dense pachysandra which we and neighbor share so I'd better yank at it before it recovers from the weed whackers and spreads. I read your link and negatives outweigh the potential nice red foliage in fall and we have many other berries from plants (I might ask for ID on those) growing wild in same area to feed the birds.

So thanks! Guess this solves the question! Do I mark it solved or should you do it? Or should I leave it open see if anyone else has a comment to make before I yank at it!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9238757

You're responsible for marking the thread solved once you're happy with the ID. (if you look up right above your original post, you should see a question asking you if it's solved and there's a link to click to mark it solved) People can still post on the thread once it's solved if anyone has additional comments, so as long as you're satisfied that the plant has been ID'd correctly I'd go ahead and mark it solved.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9238761

Yank it, as greenthumb recommends - and any others that you come across. Your advocacy for fruiting plants native to your area is the better approach, and among those choices you will find so many that offer other benefits to you as human and to all the fauna that wish to share in the bounty. A couple viburnums wouldn't be bad...

You posted the thread. You must mark it solved.
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9238782

Thank you all!

Yes I have huge old ancient Viburnum (Snowball variety name from its fragrant white blossoms) in front yard away from that area, so do not need any invasive plants anywhere to compete. It is SOLVED! Thanks again!
Lite_GreenThumb
Bergen County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9238792

Just marked it solved and updated my info. Does anyone know the difference between a zone 7a and 7b? I see some of you have a and b too and the Agriculture map (Great map! I'm saving it!) does not mention a's or b's.

Thanks! (unless there is a spot better for this question to be asked on Forum)

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9238798

I think the difference is about 5 degrees Fahrenheit...but for this purpose it isn't a difference to lose much sleep over, since it is based on relatively recent average temperatures.

Knowing a bit more about your location (state, town, soils, rainfall, etc. - as much as you are comfortable providing) makes it tremendously easier to help ID your plants, since the climatic zones range around the world. They are quite distinct even within the zone 7 range in the northeast US.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America