Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Green Cherry Tomatoes Are Not Ripening

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

August 12, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9238924

Here's a problem I've never had before: Although my cherry tomatoes started growing to full size weeks ago, only a small percentage have ripened. Most are just sitting on the vine, green as can be.What's up with this? In contrast, the other nightshades are doing well--I've had more eggplants and peppers than ever before, and the beefsteak tomatoes are OK.

Cheers,
Shayna

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9239008

what is your day/night temperature?
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9239198

What variety have you got? I think I would raise another. Sun Gold and Juliet grape are super.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9239231

Oh yes, that is very true. I have Sungold and Juliet myself and they are fabulous.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

August 12, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9239448

drthor wrote:what is your day/night temperature?

80s-90s/60s-70s
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

August 12, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9239449

Indy wrote:What variety have you got? I think I would raise another. Sun Gold and Juliet grape are super.

They are sun gold.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9239935

Sungold has had ripe tomatoes here already for weeks and weeks and weeks. In fact it was the first of my cherry and grape types to ripen. I wish I could remember exactly when but I didn't think to note it anywhere. OKay so you are a little north of me so might be later but still. Sungold produces like crazy.

Are you growing your tomato plants in a different spot than before? Less sunlight? I just can't imagine haveing any problems with Sungold producing.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9241730

Another strange summer for you guys up there, temps are important, DTM affects ripening, if you have time, just be patient and hopefully everything will gel for you in time-
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9245344

I'm also in Massachusetts and on the day you posted your question, I had already picked a lot of sungolds. I suppose it depends upon when you planted your plants, but usually, once I start to get one or two orange ones, the rest come along like clockwork. Incidentally, if this is your first year growing them, they are much sweeter if you leave them until they are orange as opposed to yellow.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 19, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9247035

My Better Boy and cherry's are slow to ripen. Looking good otherwise. Highs in the 80's to mid 90's here all summer.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

August 28, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9257619

I now think that chipmunks are eating the tomatoes. My original report turns out to have been incorrect. It wasn't that the tomatoes were perpetually green. The problem is that they are green and then they are gone. Vanished. Disappeared. The only other plausible explanation is that humans are taking them, which seems unlikely. Someone suggested I try pepper spray, though the harvest is almost over. Any other ideas for next year, if not for now?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9257639

Put a plant tie on the branch where the tomatoes set, If you have say six little green tomatoes then you have few or none where you put the tie ,then you can be sure something or someone is taking the tomatoes.
From there it is still up to you to determine,lol the same as always.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 28, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9257648

Or put some chicken wire, hardware cloth or something around them so that whatever/whoever is taking them will have to expend enough time that you might catch them in the act!
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9260138

yes, I watched a chipmunk run through my garden the other day with an orange sun gold tomato in it's mouth. It's probably too late for both of us this year, but I would think tall chicken wire as a tomato hoop, with more on top would do it. But then it becomes a problem for us to pick them! Chipmunks are much more of a problem for me than the rabbits. I have both, but have managed to keep the rabbits at bay easily. Chipmunks are much harder to protect things from.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9260582

Umm, may try feeding chipmunk a bribe food? So they leave your maters alone? Or set out water - works on squirrels, should help out the chipmunks...
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9266134

Set out water how? For them to drink, or as a moat that they won't cross? Never thought of that.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9266230

Well, was thinkin along lines of drinks, when our squirrels have food n water they leave the maters alone- chipmunks dig, might be a very deep moat, chuckl
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

September 6, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9267312

I was thinking netting might be easier than chicken wire (for humans to get at the tomatoes ourselves). My partner wants to use pepper spray... says he heard that it will wash right off.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America