Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Green slime on gravel driveway

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 9, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ronniel
Vankleek Hill
Canada

August 12, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9238956

Any suggestions out there about how to get rid of a green slime that has infested my gravel driveway?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9240712

Picture please, need to id what the green slime is first in order to advise on how to get rid of it
Rachelmills
Glendale, CA

August 28, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9257043

Hi,

I would suggest consulting with a concrete contractor to handle cleaning.

Rachel

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 10:51 AM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9257124

There you go, ronniel... a new driveway ought to fix things. ;-)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 28, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9257325

We Have the same problem here in UK when there has been too little sun or the area that is getting the green slime is a very shaded area when there is a lot of dampness like a water run off drain or such.
Most people use a MOSS killer that you can mix in the watering can and spread it on the slime area but it will return again IF the damp problem is not fixed.

My way of dealing with it is to mix a watering can with hot water and add a tea cup of vinegar to the can, mix and spread on the green area, you may find you have to repeat this a few times to get rid of the green but it's better than chemicals as far as I'm concerned.
The other method is household Bleach that some folks use for whitening their clothes, about the same amount of bleach as there was given for vinegar but the
bleach should work faster, be careful with the bleach as you need to make sure you dont get it on other stuff as you go and dont pour against the lawn edges or onto flower beds.

After the Vinegar has done the job, I give the gravel a good rake over so the Moss don't get to spread and every few months give another rake to prevent the greenery forming. As before, try find out the cause and make sure you keep the cure up or you will always have the same problem.
Good Luck, WeeNel.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9259094

AND DO NOT MIX the bleach and vinegar under any circumstances- causes chlorine gas that is toxic. VINEGAR is actually best to use because it kills the organisms responsible for the green, bleach can just whiten without removing them (vinegar carries the sediment away with it),

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9259137

Where is ronniel???

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9259394

tired of waiting on us busy gardeners? not a subscriber? tangled with our updating pix probs? went somewhere and discovered how to fix the problem? SO MANY choices!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9259523

lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9259611

And it could be as simple as they have forgotten where they posted.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America