We have a hive that is close to a cabin that we built this year. We noticed that every evening there are approx 15 bees coming on deck and slowly dying there. The hive is healthy - We just don't want the bees coming onto deck with our 4 year old grandson living there.
If they come to the deck, something is drawing them there- flowers, sweet smells...like floral hair shampoo in childrens shampoo-white sugar in the tea glasses. ... If you spray any pesticides, the bees succumb very quickly...most bumbles wont sting unless swarming, or cornered, and I hear only the females get protective to the point of sting...try during drought times of feeding them white sugar- away from your porch and see if that helps.
Teach the children to respect the bees. Leave the bees alone, and they will not sting, even if they are dying.
If the kids are afraid then help them learn not to be. Do not cater to or encourage a needless fear.
My kids grew up around hives, and knew very early on that they can look but do not touch.
On the other hand, if there is a family history of allergy to bee stings, then help the kids to understand the risk, and you deal with the dead and dying bees in a way that you will not get stung. Teach the kids to be alert, but not afraid of the bees.