-
AuthorContent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9239591

Here is an extension of the thread because some of you have wanted me to keep this going. It covers 2 years now and maybe will pick it up next year. LOL.

I have put a date on it so if any of you read it by mistake, it is your fault. :0)

Jeanette

Ok guys, here it is and we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/editpost.php?pid=9239588

Have fun, it HAS been a good ride. Jen

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 10:12 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9239593

When we ended the post earlier it seems like everyone was having weird weather. I haven't, and don't expect to get rain yet. I think it will freeze before it rains here. Hopefully we will get some good tomatoes before that happens. Jen

Amanda, Evelyn, Lee, where are you?
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9239715

Go Girl! Glad you figured it out. Makes life simpler for us older folks. Have the time I can't find which thread I answered or how to make one.
So, in Montreal, we have now had rain since Friday, yesterday got sunny and hot then rained again and today is iffy, actually really really damp. It's that August weather - you know when you know that September is around the corner but you are in denial!

I definitely won't grow any of the roma types again. It's my 2nd attempt, altho a different one and it's not worth it. I need some toms that are good for my zone. My Gold Medals are growing and are going to be huge, if all holds out. LIke I said, they came from a cousin who has a farm north of Montreal, so they should be good. But they are late, so...
Don't think I will try Better Boy again either. It's hit and miss. My cherries are doing really well except for SW100's. I don't know, they look fragile this year.
Sharon
ps are you growing beans or eggplant? I didn't realize how long beans take and my eggplants are growing, altho I don't even really like them. Have no idea why I'm growing them except one of my son's really likes them...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9239810

Good girl ,Jnette . I'm here too

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9239874

I'm here Jen.

We are getting some nice tomatoes from the plants I put in across the street for my neighbor in her raised beds.

These were plants given to me by a fellow DG'r I met at the Greensboro Round Up in June.

Amish Paste, a pear tomato that grows in bunches like cherry tomatoes, a roma - maybe two. Can't remember the name of the last one.

I grew some from seed, but due to the start of new job didn't get them in the ground as soon as they should have been - but they may have a couple of fruits - who knows?! We're having nice temps overnight and I think may be just right for setting fruit. Beefsteak, "1/4 Century" (this is a HUGE plant), Razzleberry, Roma.

I am still getting some of the haricort vert beans, no luck yet with butternut squash or eggplants, but again . . . prolly too late . . . I have pepperplants that I delayed but are now blooming in their pots. Did I say this already? Anaheim and jalapeno, large cherry peppers, hungarian hot wax, purple bell, I think that's it.

I will be starting greens for my iguana in another neighbor's raised beds. HA. Court is considering a couple of raised beds in the front yard for next year's tomatoes. It's the only place we get full sun all day long.

Then again, if I get my act together, maybe I can get a couple of nice buckets going in the driveway if I REALLY plan it right. Tired of getting it wrong, and I am getting tired of growing giant tomato plants too late in the season for fruit to mature. :/

(you KNOW I'm a flower child so I get distracted).

Oh - also have some lemon cucumbers growing vigorously out back, lots of flowers - hoping for a bumper crop soon . . ...

A.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9240025

Anyone planting garlic? I want to but haven't had luck in the past. Anyone?
S
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9240040

Amanda, I can't believe how many vegetable plants you are planting for as busy as you are. That is amazing.

Sharon, I had a nice garlic bed, second year, and was really looking forward to harvesting this month, when the moles got them a couple weeks ago. Should have put down 1" chicken wire and weed block first. Live and learn. Next time. It was really exciting watching them tho. (yes a raised bed)

I would try again if I knew where to put them. I am going to change things around for next year so not too sure. Also, have decided to grow my tomatoes in earthbuckets. I try everything in case you haven't noticed.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9240078

I have noticed that the tomato plants are not bloomung as much as they had been earlier but otherwise they are doing great this year. Maybe the plants needed a vacation!
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9240081

Amanda, you are very ambitious. I'm tired from just reading what you're doing!!!
Jen, we often plant garlic in the fall for next year. But not sure if it's still too early, seeing as it isn't fall yet, but I think the bulbs are out in the garden centers. You are very ambitious with what you use for planting, but hey, when it's a question of space, sun and time, all bets are off!
S
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9240379

Sharon, yeah I planted those last October. I had planted cloves from 2 bulbs the year before and last year I used those to plant in October. Had over 50 plants. Those are what I was going to harvest last week that the moles got. I will probably skip this year, as I don't know where I will move my bed to. But then again, I was just talking to DH about it and have a plan but not until it cools off in September. So- - - - - . I don't need a lot, and I think most of the sellers sell in half pounds. Think about $10 per 1/2 lb. Think that is about 7 or 8 bulbs. Not sure. Well, that might give me about right huh? I planted about 50 last year but that was by starting with 2 bulbs the year before. I wouldn't want to start with 2 again.

Funny, I had put some horseradish in there in one end of the garlics and they are ok. Guess the moles don't like horseradish.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9240484

Jnette , did you ever get any rhubarb from Russ ? Mine comes up every year but dies back before it gets 8" high .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9240762

No Sally I didn't. I only like it in Rhubarb Cake and Bob doesn't like it at all so I didn't. Plus I could get some from my sister if I wanted any.

I would say it isn't cold enough in the winter then. Too bad. You will have to do like we do with okra etc. Buy it frozen.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9242014

Hey Jen, hope you are ok. Saw th e news last night about all the fires in Washington state, so I. Hoping you and your family are ok. The weather has gotten a bit dreary here. Just let us know how you are doing.
Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9242427

Thanks for asking Sharon. We are fine so far. The fires are closer to the West coast, actually, just this side of the mountain range from Seattle. Between Seattle and us. So, a long distance from us. Couple hundred miles. I do feel sorry for the people there. A lot of small resort towns. I hope they will be ok.

Now, if we get electrical storms, dry lightening, that is when it gets bad. Lightening can hit anywhere and we have forests everywhere here.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9242880

Glad to hear you're ok! I was worried. I feel so badly to see how much destruction the fire caused over all.

In any event, some thing is definitely attacking some of my tomatoes found another creature on a leaf like a small caterpillar and I'm finding small cherries eaten through. AAAHHHH!!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9243132

Are the cherries fallen on the ground? I used to get slugs cleaning out the plums and also the yellow jackets. They were awful.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9243541

Yes the cherries are on the ground. Some have holes in them from being eaten and others are just lying there basically untouched. In the meantime, my Green Zebra has all these weird brown markings on skin. Honestly,, this tomato has continually defied me for years!
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9246033

Hey, Jen, how's it going? I might have to chop down one of my better boys. Mr. Stripey almost got blown over, although I'm not sure it made a difference.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9246054

LOL, well, I am getting one (1) cherry tomato ripe!! A Sun Sugar. The big ones are starting to turn white, so, I might be in the ball park of last years date. I looked and had my first ripe one on August 31. It will be later this year, but everything seems to be running about a week to 10 days later this year. Think we will at the beach for Christmas in a few years.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9248699

That's interesting Jen - because everything HERE is running 2 - 3 weeks or more early. Not my veggies of course, because I'm a bad veggie momma, but flowers, blooming, fruiting.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9248893

Amanda, it has turned cold!! Down almost to the 60s by tomorrow. Then back to 80 on the weekend. Other than that, suppose to be in the mid 70s. A lot lower than the past couple of weeks. Maybe my tomatoes will think that winter is on the way and ripen, OR, maybe they will decide not to bother?? Wouldn't that be gross.

Yes, the weather lady said they are having lightening storms in Spokane and then heading this way. It rained a little bit ago.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9248896

All of my veggies are running early, too, and our magnolia, after blooming in the spring as usual before its leaves unfurled, bloomed lushly again about a month ago while it was in full leaf. That has NEVER happened before.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9248905

Wonder what is going on?? I sure hope we don't have an early winter. That would mean it would last 6 months. How gross is that!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9248940

Hmm. What is going on, is that weather patterns are changing - without using that politically charged phrase - and weather extremes (heat, storms, drought, and flooding) will be the norm from now on.

It's going to impact us all in ways you may never have thought, but obviously with the drought in the breadbasket this year the cost of food is going to go sky high next year. You'd better put some climate controls in your greenhouse so you can grow your own year round!

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9248947

The produce would have to get awfully expensive to be cost effective with the price of heat for a greenhouse in this country I'm afraid. Don't know what would be worse. Jen
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9249054

I laughed last year about my tomatoes probably costing $20/lb but I can't say that this year (maybe). Although if I figured out my hourly rate into that I'm not so sure, lol! I just call it dirt therapy and go on. Anyway, we had a fantastic garden year this year and it's still going thanks to the good rains we have been getting and cooler temps than we had in early July. Thankfully the hot dry temps didn't last.

Early tomatoes were as big as grapefruit and thankfully that didn't last either or I would begin to wonder about the seed I ordered. I'm not much on posting pictures, but I do have proof in the way of photos. The later ones are more reasonably sized and I have made sauce, salsa, frozen, canned, and given away countless tomatoes much to the delight of my friends, coworkers and neighbors who don't garden anymore. Despite the squash bugs winning, I still picked 2 squash the other day. Red peppers look like beauties from the store and I've been roasting and putting them up too. The raccoon and I have had a couple of cantaloupe. Can't keep him away from the garden. He enjoys playing with the critter trap and has his picture taken on occasion with the game cam. :~( He and the deer and rabbits are also the reason I don't grow much else. However the fence DH erected this year seemed to help with the deer problem. Now on to fight the late blight! But I'm tired...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9249073

You're tired, do you have a break before planting your next garden? I know some of the people in Texas are already sowing seeds etc. for the next ones. I don't think I would like that. One crop is enough. I like the break, but it is just too long a break some times.

I think we appreciate the nice ripe tomatoes when we do get them more than if we had them year round. We can hardly wait for the first BLT. We finally bought some from a local farmer today so will have them tonight!! Doubt if they will be as good as our own tho. The vendors usually plant for weight (juice). I plant for flavor and of course length of time. Short season.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9249079

Yes, we have a break. Although I do fall gardening with the perennials needing attention. That's when I usually turn to my shrub beds and divide other things that need tending. Plus get things ready in my vegetable garden for next year...manure and mulch on the garden after I pull up the plants, etc. I don't usually plant a fall garden as I'm pretty much tired by then and it's iffy for me. We're pretty busy in the fall as we try to travel some and are gone a lot on weekends which is when I mostly have time to devote to the garden.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9249115

Well then you are pretty much on the same schedule I am. Glad to hear it. I really do appreciate the rest before starting all over again. As I said tho, I just wish it weren't such a long rest. :0)
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9249186

Honestly, if I had to maintain my garden through another growing season, I'd probably rp my hair out. I'm ready to chop dwn the perennials, rip out the annuals, and I'm getting fed up with waiting for the toms to ripen before the weather changes! It's starting to get bit cooler. But the days are warm, so just hoping it will all be worth it. My green beans haven't been great and the eggplants are slow slow slow. All this sun and heat, and not such a bounty! I look forward to a break so I can figure out how I'm going to torture myself next year! Seriously thinking about starting some tomatoes from seed...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9249369

Well, I am about in the same boat. What I don't understand is Sharon in Massachusetts, zone 5, has gotten so many tomatoes. Why is that? I would not think her weather is any, or much different, than ours. Unless she is getting all cherry tomatoes. I don't think she said that. Maybe she will hop in here and tell us.

But yes, they are predicting almost all in the mid 70s and the night time temps in the low to mid 50s with one or 2 in the 40s. So, maybe our tomatoes will think it is getting winter and start ripening. Ya think?

It has been in the 90s for almost 2 weeks now. So, what gives?

Don't rip out your perennials and annuals. I am getting kind of tired of watering and fertilizing them too. My DH just went down to water the tomatoes. They are really hanging.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9249808

The only thing I can figure out is Massachusettes did have more rain tha us, at least I think so. I don't know it would help to know where she is located. Generally, I remember for my early university days a hundred years ago, Boston being very humid. So I guess it's location,location location...
I have started to cut down some perennials that are finished and today I started removing some nasty looking stems from the toms. It's threatening to rain, but it does that and nothing happens and it's supposes to get very hot again. I have started topping off the cherries, which, I might add, I have gotten a lot of cherries, but not like last year. The extremes heat just seemed to bring everything to a halt. My Tigerella are finally starting. But I'm not really crazy about them. Still waiting for the gold medals to ripen. They are huge!!!! I'm so excited!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9250049

Well, hang in there. Some of my largest ones are starting to ripen. Probably be a week to 10 days yet, but they will.

I think she has picked mainly cherry tomatoes. Don't know if they all, 300 of them, are off of one plant or not. That would be a very productive plant. I used to grow Sweet Millions and they were good tomatoes.

Maybe she will jump in here and tell us which ones she is getting so many off of.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9250622

Jen , here is another source
http://www.southernexposure.com/our-seed-growers-ezp-138.html
They have Amish paste seeds.
DoGooder said it is a cherry plant.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9250728

I don't think I will try the Amish Paste. It really doesn't do well for me.

I looked at her pictures, and that plant is amazing. Or I should say, what she has done with it is amazing. To get that many tomatoes and still have that many on the plant is really something. It will be fun to see how many she ends up with. Hope she keeps track. She should enter it in the Ginis Book of Records. Lol, don't know how to spell it. She may have a record.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 23, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9250920

Jnette , where is that pictyre , I want to see it .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9251190

Here it is Sally. She said she has already picked over 300 off of it. Also said, you can read it cause I don't remember who, has picked over 1400 from her plant. Now, you also must know she puts vinegar on her plants. Maybe she doesn't need to put salad dressing on them then. :0)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264248/#new

Jen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9251194

I forgot to tell you I think she posted it yesterday and it is up probably a dozen or so posts. jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 23, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9251449

O K read it and I had the sweet millions last year . They grew to about 12' long . Good flavor , just like big toms . This year I put out some volunteer sprouts that came up in a gift plant . Two different toms , two are like golf balls and the other three are like mini Roma's . I picked one about the size of a large marble and bit into it , boy , was it firm . Too small to grow for a paste tom and not soft and juicy enough to eat fresh

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9254422

Why does she put vinegar on the plants?

Someone gave me a pear tomato this spring and it has the prettiest almost yellow fruits and grow in clusters almost like grape tomatoes.

I will put more effort into my vegetable crops next year. I really am more of a flower child. Ain't it a shame.

A.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9254484

She said it is for the ph. I guess I will have to get that tester out next year and use it. I have never used it and had it for several years. But, yeah, she uses it all the time. Not just once.

I had those yellow pear tomatoes last year. I didn't care for them, but Bob really liked them. I prefer the Sun Sugars to any of the other cherry tomatoes I have grown. I used to grow Sweet MIllions every year. They are really good. Probably the best red cherry tomato I have had.

How is the new job going Amanda? You know, I still haven't done anything about my desk computer. I just hate working for hours to correct something on them, and this is a big something. Oh well, one of these days I will do it. jen
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9254526

Hi guys, Jen, I agree. The yellow pear tomatoes were flat for me. I grew them once and decided not again. Sun gold is amazing... I plan on trying the vinegar thing next year too, along with pine bark fines and all that stuff!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9254754

Agree with you Jen. I grew Sun Sugar's this year and they are top of the list for me. Sun Gold are a close second but my Sun Sugar's have out-produced everything and are still going strong. Sweet Millions for the red cherries or maybe Sweet 100's.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9254957

Gosh!! Thanks OP! Finally got someone to try the Sun Sugars and agree with me. Yes, everyone thinks I mean Sun Golds I think. Nope, Sun Sugars. Best cherry tomato out there.

No, I won't do the yellow pears again. Not that much flavor.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9255183

I think they have a thinner skin than the Sun Golds and seem to be more prolific. Of course, there could be other factors in my garden this one year. I've brought them to work and everyone raves about them. They are a definite keeper for me and will be a staple in my garden. I'm always trying something different until I settle on 'THE ONE' that gets a permanent spot in our garden. Tried yellow pears a few years back and it was not a winner. Everything gets a 2-year chance at least. I have also discovered in conversations with people that some just can't take the acids of the red tomatoes but love the yellows. My cousin is one who gets mouth ulcers with too many reds, so I try to send some yellows her way.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9255281

I have a small currant tomato called Petit Moineau that's as sweet as sugar. My toddler DGD loves to raid the garden for them. I think they're sweeter than the Sweet 100's I used to grow.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9255368

gg, I've never had those. Are they red or yellow? I had the Jelly Beans last year. Wasn't that crazy about them either. The ones you are talking about sound smaller yet. I had both red and yellow JBs.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9255911

These are a bright scarlet. Very pretty. A fellow in France sent me the seeds and I've grown them ever since. At this point they've volunteered all over my garden, but some of them must have crossed because a few of the volunteers have larger tomatoes - not full-sized, but much larger than my Petit Moineau. The cherry-sized tomatoes are nothing like any of my others, either, and since they're all OP something must have happened.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 27, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9256004

Any one know what these Roma shaped , size of the thumbjoint , hard as a rock toms could be ? I can't figure out what they could be used for .
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9256117

digger - the romas - they are a cherry? I grew them last year and I found they were good for sauteeing in olive oil and garlic with pasta. Didn't really like them to eat raw. I didn't find they had that much taste just to eat.
Sun Sugars - don't know if I have seen them in Montreal. Oh no, hope I don't have to buy more seeds!!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9256221

Gosh Sharon, I almost hate to say anything after I couldn't come up with the Amish Paste, but let me see if I have enough SS seeds to send to you. You won't need many will you? How many plants of each kind do you grow? I normally only plant 2 maybe 3 of each seed. Problem is when they all come up then I start looking for people to give them to.

gg, what does Moineau mean? I figure the Petit is small.

Sally, what does size of the thumbjoint mean? From the end of the nail to the joint? Roma shaped? But hard as rock!! What in the world are they? Where did you get them?

Sharon, the Romas are a paste or sauce tomato, kind of like the San Marzano. I normally try to get enough of them, the 2 of them if I get some Romas, and put them in a big roaster with onions etc. and roast for a few hours. Then put them thru the food processor. Good sauce etc. Season any way you want. There are some good recipes for this in the recipe forum.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 27, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9256297

Hugo , I'll try a coupla that way .
Yeah , jnette , about an inch and a half , if that long . Little pear shape .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9256320

Sally, they sound like Yellow Pear tomatoes. But why would they be hard as rocks? Are you waiting until they ripen?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 27, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9256325

They are red , not yellow and after picking one , it just laid on the counter and didn't get any softer.

Edited to add :

meant to say , it practically fell off in my hand when I went to pick it . Another day and it would have fallen off the vine .

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 8:46 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9256368

Don't know then.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9256406

Jen, I would only want a couple of seeds. I've ordered lots, so if there any u want let me know. I will send you the list:

Black from Tula
Aunt Gerties Gold
Kellogg's Breakfast
Druzba
Red Penna
Orange Strawberry
Iditarod Red
Anna Russian
Gold Nugget
Brandywine Sudduth(altho I'm not sure why I ordered this one)
Black Russian
Bloody Butcher

and from another source, Cuore di Bue and Cuore di Toro.

Tatiana is going to let me know if she can get German Red Strawberry and Tasmanian Chocolate.
I'm also interested I some of the dwarf varieties, like Iditarod Red. There are some great ones coming out.

Digger, if they are the ones I grew they never got soft and were only good cooked and used in sauce. Frankly I wasn't sure what their purpose was.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 27, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9256446

My friend sent another D G'er some shrubs and I had them for almost three months . These toms came up volunteer and I transplanted them to my garden .I'll ask her because she took soil out of her compost to plant the shrubs in . Thanks anyway . I'm going to try the saute.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9256501

Sharon, right now I can't think of any I would plant. I am getting tired right now and think I am going to just plant the ones I know for sure will work here in this area. I am getting beyond experimenting. LOL. I will check the SS seeds to send you some. The only ones of yours I even recognize are the Kellogg's Breakfast and I have those. Don't even think I will plant any of them next year. Just going for the sure thing. :0)

I will need your address. I won't have any trouble sending seeds into Canada will I?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9256579

Jnette, Petit Moineau is Little Sparrow.

Romas are great for making tomato paste or sauce, because the flesh is so solid. Most people don't use them uncooked because their flavor isn't that spectacular. I have a wonderful paste tomato that tastes good and is also excellent for cooking down - Cornue des Andes. It's also called Andine Cornue, both of which indicate that it's a "horn" from the Andes, because it's long and somewhat horn-shaped.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9256998

gg, how does that tomato measure up to the San Marzano? Those are what I have been growing for the last few years. If you say they are better I will make another switch.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9257117

I haven't tried San Marzano in years, but Cornue des Andes is really good. I think it's the best of the thick-fleshed tomatoes. It is susceptible to blight, but I can usually get a decent crop out of it anyway. If San Marzano is very prolific you might want to grow both and see what you think. Cornue des Andes might be happier in your climate than it is in mine, but it grows very well in Southwest France where the climate is similar to ours.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9257625

Hi Jen,
I don't think there should be a problem sending seeds. Just put them in a regular envelope, should be good. I'll send you my address. I received my seeds today. I must be nuts...
The weather got cool this afternoon. Don't know if it's a sign of a change or what. At least it's not humid.
San Marzano's and I just don't succeed! Don't know why, I just don't have luck, only the cherry Roma's.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9257848

Ok Sharon, send me your address via D mail. I will see what I can send you. I almost always buy Sun Sugars, especially if I can get some converts. :-0)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9268567

Hadn't exactly stayed with any thread I was ever on ,but I have a few tomatoes to try for next season and man OH man was this one hot summer. That does.not happen to often with me and tomato plant growing ,lost two plants that were doing okay to start with ,happens with flowers and herbs and greens and sorts but I have rarely lost even one tomato plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America