Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar: Newspaper as barrier

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and VinegarReplies: 1, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lauragene
Lander, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 13, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9239768

My father used to turn shredded newspaper into his garden at the end of the season to help lighten the hardpan. He was able to acquire the paper already shredded, which made it convenient. I tried newspaper as a layer in a "lasagna" soil-building project and found that it remained intact, almost unchanged, for years while the other layers slowly degraded. Newspaper was not good there. However, now when I am building a new garden on top of land that is weedy or grassy, I start with a thick layer of newspaper put right onto the ground as a weed barrier. It works beautifully. I also use it as a barrier when putting in a pathway that will be "paved" with wood chips or gravel.

slywlf

slywlf
Shandaken, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9239917

I too have found newspaper an excellent way to prep an old lawn area for its new purpose as a garden. I laid down a two-to-three sheet layer, topped with other mulch/compost to hold it down last fall, then proceeded to build raised beds over it. No bothersome grass in the places the paper wasn't disturbed. It also woeks well under garden cloth topped with woodchips as a path.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks poisondartfrog 0 Aug 10, 2012 5:26 AM
More thanks ardesia 4 Sep 23, 2012 9:46 AM
Newspaper as mulch dodges7 3 Aug 14, 2012 4:13 AM
Bonemeal, Newspaper & Hydrogel MerryKold 1 Aug 16, 2012 8:39 AM
A little late on my part soive2000 1 Aug 23, 2012 9:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America