-
AuthorContent
otezoreil
Santa Teresa near Ma
Peru

August 13, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9240629

Hi, I will get a photo fireworked soon to post, but essentially I am after advice. We live near Machu Picchu in Peru and a few nights ago a large spider was in our bedroom. It had a large abdomen (excuse my poor technical knowledge and vocab) and it freaked us out. I want to know if it is one I should be concerned about. It was about 4 to 5 inches in diameter (legs bent) and had a 2 inch body/abdomen, was a little hairy, ... hey I need to post a picture right. Sorry, don't have it today but I wanted to join the forum. Perhaps someone knows about potentially dangerous spiders in my area and can offer some initial advice. My wife grew up here and didn't recognise it. Normally they come into the houses on a full moon and most housees (including ours) have many holes from which they can gain entry.

Any info on spiders in my region would be appreciated, I will get that photo!

Andrew
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 14, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9240867

Very unlikely to be anything dangerous.
otezoreil
Santa Teresa near Ma
Peru

August 20, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9248176

Hi again, here's the photo

Hope you're right about it being fine.

Thumbnail by otezoreil
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 20, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9248254

It's one of the several species of tarantula native to Peru; a bite would be painful but not dangerous.
otezoreil
Santa Teresa near Ma
Peru

August 21, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9249424

Hey that's great news, thanks. It was weird as my family had never seen it before so it caused them to be concerned. The other day I was stung by a scorpion on my back and then a wasp on my nose (not a great day) so I'm getting my fair share of contact with local insect life. I've been here over 3 years and not had any problems but wanted to check it out. Thanks so much for your responses.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America