Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tomatoes: Walter's Candy Stripe pics

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 2, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kygreg2000
Hopkinsville, KY

August 13, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9240694

Very good taste, size and production and a nice looking fruit.

Thumbnail by kygreg2000   Thumbnail by kygreg2000
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9241189

Nice tomatoes!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 14, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9241313

Did you know that Candy Stripe is the word that's used to decribe almost any gold/red bicolor that grows in the SE? I didn't until I read it somewhere ( see below, I remembered).

It's just a general word that's used and when someone gets a hold of one from here or there then that person will often give it a different name.

Yes, there are two folks who list it in the 2012 SSE Yearbook. Neil in IL who got it from Bill Minkey in 1997 and Marianne Jones who got it from Neil.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Candy_Stripe

And now I do remember it was Keith Mueller who picked it up at a Farmer's Market where more than one vendor was saying it was from here or there, and that was when Keith was doing his MS degree with Dr. Randy Gardner at NCSU in Fletcher, NC, which is just south of Asheville. And Keith has also said at several message sites in the past that it's just a general word that many folks use to describe a gold/red bicolor.

So there is no one variety that can be called Candy Stripe, really. My brother now lives in NC just above Asheville and his neighbor grows a bicolor and when I asked my brother what he called it he said it was a family heirloom and had no name. I didn't ask for seeds. ( smile)

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America