Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: AUGUST part two, what are we working on?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 194, Views: 1,241
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9241094

New thread, we were over 200 #.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9241097

Followed you over...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9241117

Me too!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9241126

Me three.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9241135

Me four!

Been cutting out pieces for the baby quilt my sister-in-law wants me to make for her. I had enough pink and lavender in my stash to get it done. It is in big "Courthouse Steps" and is quilted as you add each row. I just need to be careful that it doesn't go wonky on me when I sew it...Off to finish cutting...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9241199

I'm lurking.

Got all the toppers washed. They are covered in loose fabric threads. Big job ahead to de-string and press before trimming down the extra wide sashes. I would love to work each one as individual small quilts and then attach a series of finished quilts together. Anyone ever done that? Working on large pieces is a huge problem because we travel between homes weekly. A smaller size would allow me to roll up and transport on small rails. Advice would be appreciated.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9241220

I am gum on your shoe, me 6

Laurel The "quilt as you go" method on you tube or google
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9241243

I have arrived also.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9241378

Laurel - there are a lot of "quilt as you go" tutorials on line. As Helene said, just Google it and you will find all kinds of help. I have company on their way or I'd go find a few links for you...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9241416

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kArIng_1Nzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn8ffH-vh8&feature=fvwrel

Here are a few links for you!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9241422

Laurel, I just finished a "Quilting BIG projects on your little machine, the cost of the class was $29. I think for what you want, going to Utube and viewing would probably satisfy your needs. There is a technique where you quilt each of the blocks (in your case the quilt 1/4 or more), add a small border as sashing and connect the pieces that way. It does entail sewing those pieces together by machine via the sashing, then finishing with hand stitching. If you don't find the tutorial, send me a Dmail and I'll try to describe it in more detail or find you some rescources online that will walk you thru it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9241423

See LOL? Linda posted before I could reply! Hope those meet your needs.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9241480

Before I got my long arm I did a few Quilt as you go. I put the blocks together using a narrow sashing that coordinated. There are a few methods out there.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9241493

Thank you all for the advice. Taters, the second method looks promising. The tops are already made and will be about 36" square when trimmed. Each top had eight 8" squares plus borders. I intend to hand quilt each of nine sections and then sash the sections together. How that will be done will determine how much batting and backing to leave. Need to puzzle this out. I was thinking about leaving enough batting to join, by whip stitch, in the center and then sew the sashing over the seam allowance edges of the quilts. That would still leave the back sections to join and they would have to be hand done at that point. This may be my magnum opus. lol

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9241527

Laurel, yes, if you leave enough batting with each strip so you can then join the batting with whip stitch, and since I am a bit of a stickler to stick (no pun intended)to either all machine sewing or all hand quilting, I would use embroidery thread and use the "crazy quilt stitch" (you know looks like chicken feet) not sure what it's called to add the sashing. It is work but would make it 'authentic' and you do know embroidery.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9241553

just want to mention "www.whittlesfabric.com" has some nice things around $5.00

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9241754

posted across the sidewalk, but here is a color palette selector that I rec'd a link for in the emails today. You can upload a pic of a quilt, fabric, photo, etc, then it will pull a selection of colors to coordinate with your main color.. I've been playing with it, and it brings out colors/shades/hues that I wouldn't have considered...

http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9241774

Kathy, is it a freebie?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9241816

Yes, it is free. I was just playing with it, you need to add a picture from your computer, then it pulls up all the colors possible to use! Pretty neat!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9241820

VERY cool, thanks for link!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9241877

I tried that link - not sure what I can do with it though... maybe I'm being dense? Wouldn't be the first time LOL

Well, got some more thunderstorms today, while I was at work. Close on to being a tornado, the weather network said...
We had quite a dust storm - looking out from the 8th floor, we couldn't see the parking lot for the dust! and the windows were shaking! Then we got rain, and tiny hail. Glad it wasn't worse, but I think there must have been a car accident in the worst of the dust-up cuz an ambulance went by shortly afterwards.
Anyway, again no damage at home.
However... came home to having the water shut off at home. It was planned, and to be for 4 days at least. Not happy about it, but what do you do?!?! There's a leak somewhere in our neighbourhood, and the City can't find it so they're excavating...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9242004

4 days w/o water!!!!! That is my fear since we are on a well here. I can live w/out elec for a few days but I NEED water!!!!! Hopefully they will find the leak & fix it quickly.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9242027

Good Morning, everyone! Yes it was a free link. I have saved pics of fabrics and also copied and saved pics from my stash, just to see how it worked. Pretty neat! Seems like there is another site that I have purchased fabric from online, that has a similar offering as you select your fabrics, there is a place to click that brings up coordinating fabrics from their stock. But I can't remember who it is at the moment. Guess I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning... LOL
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, fell asleep in the recliner after Hubby went to bed.. long day yesterday. LOL Susan, hope you planned ahead and stored up some water. We had to do that when our elec. when the storm knocked out our power, as the water tables were getting low here. It was a 'just in case' situation, but we didn't lose water pressure, thank goodness. Like Jean, I can handle not having electricity - but no water for days isn't fun!
Kids will be here tomorrow, so I finally got a day off to finish cleaning and such. Everyone have a great day!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9242047

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=76308&ParentCat=2
This site has a color matcher, as well as a link you can click on to see all fabrics in that line.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9242199

that's the one, Linda! I haven't been buying online lately, so had forgotten which site it was. Thanks for posting!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9242284

I've enjoyed doing sew as you go in panels, did 3 christmas throws and a king size christmas bedspread from our christmas swap blocks..think I'll continue to quilt in same manner

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9242297

Betty - I really like how you do your Christmas quilts. They are wonderful.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9242360

You guys just cost me $$$ lol

I ordered a frame to be used with regular sewing machine..they say I'll get it within 2 weeks, being sent out tomorrow, let's hope it's as easy as what it shows
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9242411

Bettypauze, those look great!

Our water at Maypop (our cottage) is pumped up hill from a fresh water spring cistern. When we loose power we have no water. Maypop is deep in the woods so it can take the electric company days to get to us, especially if we have trees down on our road. I learned years ago to keep water stored in the house and a big garbage can full in the basement. That's so we can flush toilets. We can hike the 1/4 mile downhill to the spring and back up, hauling water if needed, but we are on the downside age of marathoning and the slave kids grew up.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9242464

Now that's a chore..think I'd be bathing once a week when that happens!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9242489

we had similar on candlewood lake Ct years ago. Went down to the beach and pumped drinking cooking water.If we used it in winter we melted snow for the Johns. That is when we would be w/o power. Had only big ben stove to heat the house.
gorgeous quilts betty.

friends In my neighboehood today.We shook hands

Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9242495

Ahhh, nothing like having wildlife in the gardens..

I'm in the path of deer herd in the winter..

Bears are in search of food, been a hard year for them..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9242499

Betty, can you post full size pictures of your quilts? I would love to do a variation of those!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9242502

Oh yes Betty, Please?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9242510

me too please

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9242515

will d-mail you the info

lots of add on's on these

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9243104

Betty - lovely, lovely, lovely - and you're able to do these quilts from swaps!

Jean - yes, it's awkward to say the least, and yes, I know some people do this all the time.
But my concern is for the elderly ones in the park. Picture an 80yo+ woman having to use the porta-potty at midnight!
The City will supply bottled water for those that aren't able to get their own. Hope they mean the 20 gallon bottles of water, not the little ones for drinking!
They'll supply us with passes to the swimming pool so we can shower, and the water trucks too - 4 of them in a park for 183 homes... and the porta-potties are at the same place - 2 potties per area, 4 areas of the park.
I'll be SO glad when this is over and they've re-tested the water for safety.
One of the workers said it should be done by Friday suppertime.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9243124

That's what a "honey bucket" is for... those midnight trips that should not be done out of your home!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 16, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9244041

lol Bob just reminded me that we'd gotten a chemical toilet for dry camping last year, then never used it! Have the "special tp" and bags, too! lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9244565

Morning all! Sent what I had of the 12 months of Christmas to those who provided me with their e'mails..just remembered where original patter might be so off to look and if found will fwd.

Thanks for posipitive comments on these 3 blankets..got to tell you they were more work than I anticipated but was thrilled when they were done and must say the DIL's appreciated the work I had put in them..

Home today, almost done my chores and am hoping to put together a kitchen piece as I ordered (because I'm so envious of those of you who have long arm machines) a frame that you attach your 3 layers and quilt on regular machine..kind of Mickey mouse for those of you who have the real McCoy but did think thins might be the answer to bunching fabric up when free motion quilting..just checked tracking and with luck will have it this week so I do know I will want to try it and need something ready..best I hurray and finish housework , no can play until chores are done..is that not what we teach the children??

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9244979

Looking forward to knowing you have your quilting frame, Betty - I'm rather excited for you!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9244994

I'd love to see a photo, Betty.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9245002

Susan you just want to have a laugh atom I waste $$$$. Lol

You know me, queen of gadgets I rarely use.

http://stitchinfriends.blogspot.ca/2011/03/flynn-quilt-frame.html

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9245312

hmmmmmmmmm Betty - now you HAVE to use it, just so we can say we know you DID! You must, must, must get it assembled and do at least one section...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 18, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9245380

Well I'm hoping the lady found all the bugs I might have missed..I've wasted money on worse things..half done a piece that I can practice on..knew the jelly roll exchange would come in handy!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9245391

I've seen him demo these. Like everything else, think it just requires a lot of practice. The only drawback is the frame depth can be no deeper than the arm depth of your machine.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 18, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9245441

Thought of the depth but think not having to bunch up the quilts I free hand might out weigh that..we'll see..might look for cheap machine that has deeper throat..likely will fit well under the bed. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9245620

I wanna hear all about it, Betty, when you're working on it. Maybe make a new thread entirely devoted to it?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9245654

Me too. I did finish embroidering a small garden flag for a dear friend. It's the Serenity Praer. She gave me hers (same one that was stolen) , when mine was stolen right off the holder. I had it pinned in place so the wind couldn't remove it. My sister had her solar lights taken from her front yard. She lives across the street. I wish people would stop shopping in our yards and gardens! This is the replacement.

Thumbnail by mittsy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9245804

Ya, I agree with you Mittsy!!! I get VERY upset when things come up missing from my yard. I've lost a few things since moving to Othello.

I have the Serenity Prayer that my Mother stitched.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9245888

how very invasive... shopping from your yard!! It's not as if we're wealthy and have all the time in the world to re-do stuff (as if we Should?!?!?! NOT!!) Some people just don't seem to have a sense of ownership... they think THEY own everything they want...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9245915

Yes, I was the angriest when they entered my fenced back yard and stoled my lawn mower!! Nowadays we have a paddalock on the gate. It's a pain but I did not feel safe after that.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9246079

I am glad to see I am not the only one who gets so furious when things are misappropriated!!!! There was a very large 2 tiered concrete birdbath in our side yard when we purchased the house. Very heavy but my next door neighbor decided to take it..no clue how he was able to move the thing. However, about a year after he moved it, it toppled over...yeap, broke to a thousand small pieces.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9246396

Yea, Ive had two...yes two cars 'shopped' out of the driveway. I dont know what makes me madder, the act itself or the cops not giving a rats patoot. If they find it by accident OK, but they are not going to look for it. Lost a great saw which I havent ever replaced. I know Ive been blamed for this stuff going missing, as the garage door was up. I say, ummmmm it was my property they came onto OK?????

With the first car, it was actually one of the boys mother who called the cops and said 'the boys' are driving around in a white car. The cops had to bring them here to have them say this is where they took the car from. I went out all mad to confront them, looked in the police car and there sat three 'babies' in the back seat, 14 years old. I just looked in the car and froze. Kids no older than mine, and what different lives they had lived and were going to live. WELL needless to say, i didnt yell at them, just walked away and cried.
That didnt stop me from being even madder the second time, Those turned out NOT to be babies.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9246470

When I got my computerized sewing machine, I ordered a bunch of feet for it on Amazon. One of them is a free motion quilting foot. I think I will take one of my many completed quilt blocks, and give quilting the block a go.

I've been busy playing with my new embroidery machine the past few days, too . . . I may have posted the fish pic before . . . I'm going to go see how the life preserver one would look in black . . .

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by Syrumani   Thumbnail by Syrumani   Thumbnail by Syrumani   Thumbnail by Syrumani

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9246489

lovely designs, can see you are excited by your new machine and rightly so!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9246500

I guess one of these days I need to drag out the manual & figure out how to use my embroidery module!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9246516

REALLY cute Nicole!!

Ya, Jean. You sew such pretty quilts I'm sure you would make wonderful embroidery work!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9246749

Nichole - I love the picture of the Beta fish!! my favourite... :-)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9247366

http://melindasfabricshop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mfs&Category_Code=clearance&sort=&offset=126
nice priced fabric here

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9247435

Nichole love those designs! Nice job!

Looks like were all victims of thieves. We have had our house broken into twice, and we had a big 4 wheeler ATV, stolen from the front yard! I agree with not feeling comfortable after something like that happens. We are always on the look out, we have installed camera's, and motion lights.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9247445

Happy Birthday Nichole! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9247481

Adding birthday wishes as well
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9247524

Sending birthday wishes also...enjoy!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9247691

Happy Birthday, Nichole!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9247813

Hope it's the best ever Nichole!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9248444

Happy Bday Nichole! Ymmmm virtual cake, the best kind!! All of the happy wishes and NONE of the calories or weight gain!! LOL
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9248584

That virtual cake was great! Thanks for that, LK!

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9248600

o gosh, I missed it. Well, thats OK, just have another great day ( for me) today. A great year too!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9248713

I missed it too! Happy Birthday Yesterday, Nichole! Hope you had a great day!

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9248726

Checked my shipping of the quilt frame, in Canada Customs now, sure hope it's here by weekend so I can play...NOT that I don't have mega things to play at without it..lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9248752

Betty, thanks for the email. I can't wait to print it out!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9248813

doubltful, but if you buy Quiltmaker and dont get the email. They sent a notice this a.m. saying that a few of there patterns were off size.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9249076

yaaaaaaaaay soon Betty will be playing with her Quilt Frame!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9249100

I devised this Potholder Pattern. They are so functional but not quite as cumbersome as the Mitt.

Would make pretty Christmas gifts. Glad to share the pattern.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9249119

OH Helene! A good friend of mine would LOVE for me to make some of those for her!!! they are great design, good job!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9249124

Helene, I would love to have the pattern. My sister is in need of potholders and those would make a neat birthday gift. I love the shape of them!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9249136

Is there a reason they come to a point like that? I'd almost be afraid of dipping it in the pot!!! I just love the concept you have...
Edited to add - I would love the pattern too!!!

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 3:08 PM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9249214

The point part has only 1 layer of batting as it slides over the top of you rhand to protect from steam and heat frrom the overn., although I mostly intend them for nice nice to the table and such.

leets see maybe this'll make sense: for the pattern cut a 10-1/2" squ from newspaper or similar, fold 2 side corners 3" in and cut off. Not 45 angle a little slanted so that toward the bottom the piece is 1" wider.Yes so far??
Make another idententical piece and cut out - using a bowl or something round lrg enough 4-1/2" from top corner to the center to make a 1/2luna.

Pattern #1 cut outsside fabric, contrast fabric and 1 batting.
Pattern #2 cut fabric outside fabric - 2 pieces or for the inside muslin or something you don't like you don't see it.Cut 2 pieces of batting or 1 pc of insulbrite.
10" x 2" cut on bias for binding the 1/2 circleusing a contrast or stripe
34" x 2-1/2" for binding the potholder.
Fabric with the 1/2 circle" place batting between fabric quilt together making sure corners align.I cut the 1/2 circle with batting and fabrics in tact and then aligned from there. Fold and iron the bias binding, machine sew on to the right side, hand sew on to the lining.Fold and iron the binding fabric for glove and set aside

Using the fabrics from fabric 1 and 2 and 1 piece of batting, quilt it, making sure the top and bottom corners allign.Here too I cut the top prcisely and than just aligned the rest. You have about 1/2" extra for cut offs all around if necessary.
Sandwich the quilted bigger piece with contrast on top= the bound and quilted 1/2 circle piece with right side on top. Cut to match, using the 2-1/2" binding,machine sew start ing at the bottom continue toward the top easing as you need. make a true bias corner on top, come down toward bottom easing and ending at the start. Hand sew to the other side.n A 2-1/2"Loop on top on the wrong side is optional.

Hoping this will come together well. ? sure!

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 5:00 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9249253

Helene, thank you for putting ne more thng n my to do list. Lol
Would indeed make nice Christmas pressies

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9249267

they are ever so comfortable and prettty.
BTW thanks for the pattern you sent was well received.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9249893

Karen... look what I just found this morning from Clotilde... wouldn't this be a great tree skirt? I just couldn't say 'No'... LOL

Thumbnail by Kizmo

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9249912

Oh Wow! Thanks Kiz, think I might "need" this. Gonna check it out.

Looked at their site but couldn't find.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 10:23 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9249925

I did not get an email from them today.

What is the name of that pattern?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9250023

it's called Stargello. Here's the link to the page, along with some other cool patterns.

http://www.clotilde.com/new_for_you.html

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9250786

BEAUTIFUL pattern!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9250936

Loved it - but I sure wish they would come out with some new things that DON'T involve buying ANOTHER new ruler!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9251070

I agree, they are nice to have, but will probably be used once or twice. And at $15.00 a pop, they add up pretty fast. Don't know why they can't make a pattern, then give us the chance to make templates out of cardboard or plastic.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9251106

that's marketing for you! Produce a pattern that is soo cool, that somebody like me just 'has' to have and they will fork out the money to buy the ruler too... It does look like a big dresden ruler, with divided markings. Will know when I rec. it... I cut a cardboard pattern ruler out for that spiral tree skirt, so I imagine someone with more experience and active brain cells than me could figure one out, without buying the ruler...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9251112

Won't be me doing it!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9251232

ah now, Lady M... me, you, a bottle of Baileys - we could figger it out, don't cha think????? LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9251237

Well since you put it that way...think we could! LOL

Are you saving your pennies for next summer? You better be doing that!!!!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9251393

pennies, nickels, dimes... LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 23, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9251421

Lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9252508

Did you ever do this...design a project and then put it aside for awhile (like a few years) and then try to puzzle out what was going through your brain way back when? I am almost done hand quilting the two shams but, for the life of me, can't figure out why I bordered only three of the four sides. What was I thinking? They are more like pillow cases. Was I thinking button closure cases on one end? Need to get creative on the finish here while thinking they need more quilting. If I keep stitching I might figure out what the original plan was or come up with a new one.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9252516

I have a project I stumble across every couple years. One of the 1st things I started. Pieced trees and set on the diagonal. I made 5 tree blocks and set them but I have no more of any of that fabric. So I have this off shaped piece and the sashing color is nothing I like. Yea, what was I planning to do???? THe pieces were moved here to FL and they must be in the "hmmmmmmm..." plastic container.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9252520

Ahh, an understanding soul. I have a huge quilt that has been affixed to its own rails for too many years. It's covered in stitching, applique, embroidery and whatever other needle craft is out there. There's a story going on in there but every time I get it on the frame I try to recall what the story was. Is it worth telling? It's so undone. What was I thinking?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9252529

I have a few of those too Jean and this is the year I'm doing something with them. Either I finish them, send them out as kits or just dump them.
Some are projects started: another is a project bought and never started!; and some are almost finished and got set aside for one reason or another.
I have mailed several swap blocks to the lady who is making quilts for the people who lost homes this year due to fires. I'm going to get this all straightened out if it breaks my back to do so!!! LOL I must try to get some picutres of some of the small things I've been doing...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 24, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9252538

Look forward to seeing them Barb..

I too have unfinished projects..have them listed on blackboard in craft room..am challenging myself " self, one of these must be completed before starting a new one" be it painting, stained glass or sewing so far I'm taking the challenge..

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9252850

LOL... AWWwwwww kindred souls!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9252976

Takes a bit to make me this determined but once I am, I don't stop till I'm done!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9253108

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 10:34 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9253150

This has kept me busy along with the sorting and cleaning out... A few more toppers to make: Thanksgiving, Christmas...

One is baby quilt for Sharon - needs a good pressing!!!
Table toppers for my cousin - Halloween

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9253189

I've been doing yard work. Just put 30-2 cu/ft bags in the new garden in front of the house. I started this project right before the last tropical storm & the area is a moat every time it rains. Hopefully I've fixed that problem.
Of course I had planned to mow before it got hot. But it is noon and in the high 80s. OY!!!! Best laid plans. Also have another bed full of weeds that need to come out today.
Amazing how I can clean my house in 1-2 hrs a week but can spend all day, every day, in the yard and that work is never done.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9253204

Very pretty Barb!! Lucky ladies who receive the gifts.

Jean... I'm embarrassed to admit that I have an area that has not been weeded even ONCE this year. The stuff is 4 feet tall. I am VERY tempted to dig out anything I want to protect and chemically kill the rest. I would do it in heartbeat if I was certain it would not somehow kill the bulbs that are in there. I may experiment and spray ONE area and see what happens.

On the other hand... I have managed to keep the flower beds I can SEE from dining room clear and nice.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9253213

First day of sun in forever. Weeds are on my mind as well. Been spraying round-up all morning. Will go back around again this afternoon as some are very big. I had kept up with it till all this rain and heat hit. If we are going to have rain from the storm, its my only chance for a while.

Very nice 'busy' work barb. They will love them
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9253363

Pam, it is beginning to look like we are going to have a gentleman called with plenty more rain and winds also. Time, to "hunker" down with inside things...right after I finish taking down all my hanging baskets, pick up my loose yard decorations and etc.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9253378

Do keep safe!!

Will watch the weather channel and keep tabs..hope he can do the jig and jag and miss all of you
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012

Post #9253403

It would have to be some jig and jag due to the size of the storm.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9253682

when I saw the weather reports, I thought of all you Florida ladies. Stay safe!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9254075

Well Marion. your sure right where 'he's' heading. Im draining the pool a tad in preperation for some heavy rain, thats about it. Praying the electricity stays on. If I can have the AC, all is well. Not speaking to what the event is, just the work that went into it, I feel bad for them in Tampa. I dont think it going to be as bad there as they are planning. Now for thoe stuck on the st.pete side of the bridge, thats another story.
Stay safe, thats alot water coming.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012

Post #9254352

ok ladies... got a bit of a quandry here. A niece of mine is expecting a baby boy around Christmas, and when I asked her what colors she was doing her nursery in, she replied "red, black and white"... ... ... Now, you that know me, I love pastels for baby things, or medium colors. Thunder got me into Brights when I did a few kid's quilts, but guess I'm old fashioned, as when I thing BABY - I see soft sherbet-y colors. Been googling RWBlk images, but so far nothing really screams at me.
If you were doing a baby quilt in those colors, what pattern would you use? I did find a Rail Fence, and a Baby Churn, that I suppose I could do the background in black, but I'm just not warm and fuzzy about this yet... Any ideas?

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 1:12 PM
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012

Post #9254353

Marion and all the rest of you Floridians in the path. Praying for you.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9254367

I think what I's do is mostly white with a lot of red and a bit of black. New babies do like intense colors and research says they respond best to black and white, so I guess baby will like it.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9254382

What about pinwheels with white back gound? Just a thought.

Mittsy, thanks. It appears it has shifted some west of us but due to people in this area starting to downplay the impact, they are saying just remember 2004 and Charley. It was headed this way and did a 90 degree turn into Charlotte Harbor. In short, no one truly knows what these things will do. Yes, they can project and speculate but so many variables come into play. An act of nature at it's worst.

Just moved my sewing machine to an area of the house it would be safer if we should have any major limbs come down due to soggy ground.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9254471

Kathy, my advice would be forget that it is for a baby and ask yourself what you would make for a friend's lapquilt in Red/white/black. Unlike Karen, I would shy away from white as the dominate color because of stains etc. SOMEWHERE (ok ladies, you know who you are!!!) we have pictures of the Black/white swap where everyone chose B/W and "something" . (Ya, I chose PINK of course!!!)

Heck, a D9P with a little baby embroidery stuff would be great!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9254493

I was just re-reading a block swap we had last year where we each chose our pattern & colors. Mine were D9P's in black & white with solid colored centers. I used mine in a quilt for my DD, she loved it. Would be cute for baby if you could use mostly babyish prints, even the kitty and puppy paw prints would be cute. Even if every other square was a D9P.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 3:24 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9254507

OK... I've been all this time trying to find it... the thread on the black & white swap, here is part 3, you can follow backwards to see blocks made up with B/W & "something else". http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/962929/

(close up of one posted on another thread) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7240240
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9254516

Kathy - I'd go find a kid print that had red &/or black in it and who cares if it has some other colors. Then pull the red & another color & go with it. Think black & white dalmations, zebras, etc. Yellow would probably be a nice accent to go w/B&W. Or a bright green.

My DD has pink, grey, & lt purple in the baby's room & I made the quilt pink, yellow, & green. There are some purple dragonflies on the green fabric.

Think it was Thunder that bought the b&W prints & colored them in.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 4:41 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9254556

Oh Pat, I had to go back and look at that entire B&W swap. Ohhhhh I do love that combo. I should think we would need to do that one again.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9254574

Me too, I REALLY liked all the black & white combos. We've had some AMAZING swaps! Shall we plan on doing another Bk/W after Christmas? Or do you think people would be up for another swap soon? There is the Round Robin & the Dresdan plate going right now although there are a few of us who didn't join either due to time constraints.

If it's NOW, I would be happy to hostess it but not particpate other than hostess. I have WAY too much on my plate right now.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9254580

I would love to play with this after Christmas. My plate is going to be filling up very soon as my head is already full of plans.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9254597

Finally able to get back on to the site, so much going on during the Summer. Missed everyone. Saw this link and thought, hmmm, what am I working on... a billion tiny projects started over a year ago that I am forcing myself to finish! blah, lol. In all honesty I probably have about 20 things that I am working on trying to get done.

I would like to know how to do this thing that Betty was working on, the sew as you go or something like that. Where can I find directions for this? It looks fun. And does anyone live in the Orlando Florida area or even the The Villages Florida area because I have been cleaning out my fabrics and would love to do a fabric swap or something.

That's it, other than a big, missed yah! :0)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9254622

Dropping in with a quick 'hi'

Had to put my beloved SailorGirl down yesterday and was beyond out of sorts so today I think family/friends got together and did a schedule so they would visit and keep my mind of things..

My girlfriend Pat left hubby behind and came for a few hours..we decided to take that quilting frame I ordered out of the box, put the top I had used our 2 1/2 " strips on and got it going...what fun we had. Guess I won't be storing it under the bed..Pat will use it as will I. Think I'll also order the adaptor so that I could also do a quilt by hand without the frame taking more than a few feet width and can stand in a corner and wait till I have time to play again..

Here's Pat working away on it..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9254626

Guess I forgot to add photo's

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9254631

Because of how high my sewing deck was had to purchase shelving to lift the rollers..10.98 so not bad to get it to work.

Until I can afford the real thing this will have to do..I'm most excited that it is not a gadget that will be put under the bed...you know gadgets..not all work!

If I werent so tired tonight I'd finish it but it will have to wait for another day

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9254632

Hello Bev, glad to see you back again.

Betty, that looks very interesting...just might have to check into one of those! I have a free standing one but it is huge and doing hand quilting is difficult lately.

Sorry I neglected to reply about another B & W swap. I would love to do another one but definitely after Christmas for me. Trying to get remodeling finished; planning a party for DD's 29th anniversary of her 21st birthday, family coming to visit and then the trips back and for to Mom. Oh forgot, celebration for when DD finishes her Specialist degree. To be fair to all if I were to join it would definitely be a 2013 project.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 6:14 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 26, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9254692

Betty - glad to hear it's not an "under the bed" thingie! Good for you, for getting an adapter so cheaply that will make it work for You!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9254805

Betty, I've been looking at this Flynn frame for quite awhile, glad to hear/see that it's worth checking into! Did you buy a speed regulator box so to control the stitching speed better? Sometimes my eye/hand/foot coordination gets the best of me, although I can still pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time...LOL

There's another DIY quilt frame on YouTube that my son is looking into for me. The kit has the bearings, knobs, etc that is assembled onto the wood and metal conduit tubing that you purchase from HD or local hardware/building supply. Finished assembly similar to a longarm set-up, but around $250 or so. You can use any type of home sewing machine, as long as it fits on the wood carriage that rolls about on bearing wheels. Son says they look like inline skate wheels, as they move really smooth. It may be my transition to a mid/longarm, if I ever get enough saved up for one.. and would be used more for smaller quilts. I've resigned from trying to quilt a king size on my old machine, they're going to the quilt shop so I can get them finished..

http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/index.html

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9254819

Whoops, forgot to say Thanks for the suggestions on the RWBlk quilt.. going thru my scraps and kid fabrics, I found I have lots of bright strips and scraps. If I can use some of those combined with some black, maybe it would be geared more for a kid's quilt than a baby. After all, they don't stay 'babies' very long, do they? I've found that if I'm not comfortable with the way a pattern or block is turning out, I probably won't finish it.. and I have more than enough projects that I haven't completed!

I can come up with all kinds of ideas for making a RWBlk for someone else, especially a pinwheel or star pattern. It's just the thought of giving a black quilt to a baby that I can't get past. Just a 'me' thing... This niece is sharing an apt with a friend who also has a baby, and I think this is where she's coming up with the color scheme.

Found this while searching today, too. Gives me ideas that incorporate my scraps and your ideas...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9254905

Kathy, I LOVE that!! The star border before repeating the scappy colors really WORKS!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9254950

Absolutely a work of art Kathy!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9255162

I really like this one too Kathy.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9255220

Add me to the list of "likers". Where did you find that pattern, if I may ask.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9255757

Kathy you are teasing me with that other quilting frame..I'll playwith this one for now as it's so lightweight and easily set up and put away..but I'm keeping the link

tks

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9256293

That quilt comes from Clotilde, called Cheerios. It looked like a good way to use up scraps and lots of colors. It's one of my favorite sites to look out for ideas, although I rarely buy patterns from them.

Betty, I'm thinking about the Flynn, too. It may be awhile longer before I can do the one I want... The local LQS sells HandiQuilters, has the Sweet 16 out front with her longarms. I didn't realize she was a dealer for them, as I only remember seeing one longarm in her backroom. Hadn't been out there since last Fall, and last week she had the S16 and 2 longarms in the front of the store, loaded with customer's quilts. Didn't get to talk to her much that day, as she was working with some contractors, but plan on going back out to take a looky-see and find out more. I want something that I can do all sizes on, maybe just to a queen size, but probably will be doing more smaller than the big ones - unless I can get good enough to take in other people's quilts. Some of the DIY ones can be adjusted just by changing the size of the rails (?) that the top/backing/back are rolled on, which got my attention. I've looked at so many longarms, that my head swims everytime I go back to them!
Saving up for one will take quite awhile, and in the meantime my TBC (to be continued) pile gets higher and higher. At least if I can finish all those trial and error kid's quilts, I wouldn't feel so guilty for starting another one!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9256391

I get clothilde emails daily, you are a smart one, I purchase patterns but never put them to use..just bought a tote pattern where I can use up some of those jelly roll strips and my pile of patterns just get bigger lol

Yes, the Flynn is what some would call mickeymouse but Lordy for $150 you don't get much more and if it works why not. Next time I'm in home depot will look how much the net size rails are.

Just anxious to see once I'm towards the end of this piece which is about 60 inches how mush room in the throat I'll have

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9256434

I agree, if it works like it says it does, I can come up with that $$ faster than $$$$s ! If I moved my sewing room downstairs to Dad's apt, I would have plenty of room for a big one, but we may have to rent it out to help pay the bills. The original idea was to make the apt into a quilting studio/office and remodel our side upstairs for company. Things just didn't work out as we hoped, but we're still working at it.
The Flynn or similar would be enough to hold me over for awhile. I read way too many stories of people jumping in on buying an expensive longarm, then discovering that it just wasn't what they thought or lost interest. Can't afford to make that mistake, and can't afford to take everything out to someone else to do for me. I have too many things to experiment on, and finish... so I'm looking for inexpensive solutions.

I find patterns and ideas on Clotilde and other sites, and do a 'save image' to a folder where I can view and dream. That way if I really can't figure out how it goes together, I can go back later to purchase it. They do have alot of notions, too. That's how I got started on their site.

Does the frame get heavy/awkward as you past the halfway point?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9256561

As an HQ owner, I would HIGHLY recommend it. There are usually HQ-16s for sale from folks who are upgrading to the HQ-24. And the 16 flat table comes in sections so you can set it up for the space you have. Rails are in sections also. Of all the owners I know, I don't hear any complaints.

Might want to see if your LQS rents time on the machines. That is one way to get the "feel". It does take some mind rearranging to get used to moving the machine (and your feet) & not the fabric. It's like you are drawing on the fabric with a LARGE pencil.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9256603

Thanks Jean, I'll check with her to see if she offers that. Probably, as she has a huge storefront and lots of classes in the back room. I remember reading that 'drawing' reference when I was reading somewhere on FMQ... and I think I laughed myself out of the sewing room after I tried my first sample blocks...LOL I think if I bought a speed regulator for my old machine, I could do better. My machine table has a foot pedal and also a knee lever, but focusing on FMQ AND trying to keep a steady stitch speed is something I haven't mastered yet.
Off to the old grind, back tonite

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9256890

I finished another set of table toppers for my cousin. These are for Fall/Thanksgiving.
First picture is front and second is the back

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr         

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9256897

Barb - you are such an artiste!! I love the beautiful fall colours, and you did an excellent job on the back, keeping the pumpkins "whole"!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 28, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9256933

You will have to take photo of your Thanksgiving table Barb..

I am just going to have to bring a small sewing machine to work, 2 boardrooms, one will surely meet my needs lol could get so much more done.

Shortly torn between sewing/stained glass and painting for Christmas gifts so a few days of sewing here sure would help out!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012

Post #9257002

Barb, that is so pretty! Love those colors!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9257114

Thought I'd show you all what I've been playing with, altho I think I finished these in July.
The first one, the red, black and white, is one I came up with and had a lot of fun figuring it all out. I think I'd better use a lint roller on this one...

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9257143

WOW!!!!!! That's all, just WOW!!!!!

I've just spent an hour staring at a pile of fabric and going through patterns and just can't decide what i want to make.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9257157

This one is from "Ricky Tims' Convergence Quilts". This was a lot of fun also. The ribbons were my idea. I have these hanging in a local cafe that a friend opened in May. She said that she needed something to hang on the walls so there wouldn't be such an echo in there. So of course I suggested wall quilts and she jumped at that idea. There is a lady that wants to buy this one real bad. That wasn't my plan. These quilts are like my children... I finally told my friend Maggie to put an outrageous price on it.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9257161

Gosh, I love everything! Such creativity.

MnotM, how did you quilt that? Is that done with a regular machine?

Bettypause, that's a very cool looking frame.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9257177

This is one that I made several years ago for the first quilt shop I worked for. I wasn't to keen on the colors at the time but it did sell a lot of batiks even tho it wasn't quilted. I sort of fell in love with it while I was quilting it. It's from a commercial pattern that I don't have any more so I can't credit the designer or know what it's called. I call it "Turkish Rondo" as my machine was keeping time to the beat while I was listening to the music.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9257178

Gloria, that first one is GLORIOUS! Love the extra ribbons, on the second one, too.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9257179

what was the music?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9257182

These were all quilted on Penelope, my Phaff, as they were small enough to handle. I am not very good at free arm so it's mostly soft curves or straight lines. I have a dandy quarter inch foot that helps me to space the quilting lines and I go REAL slow. Bigger things I use Marie, the HQ long arm.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9257186

Mittsy, it was guitars playing classical music, in this case I think it was Mozart. I can't remember the name of the album off hand but if you want I can make a note of it.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9257206

next time you're out in your casita. I usually play obscure folk music or new age when I sew.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9257208

Gloria, Jean said it all: "WOW" They are both unbelievable with color and design. Absolutely but outrageous price on the ribbon one.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9257219

so much fun to see this creativity. May I ask the size of black/white and red.My choice is the next one Rsky's design.But I like contemporary very much

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9257435

WOW is right, those are all beautiful!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9257629

these are pics of the lap quilt top I'm working on for DD. I just have to figure out how I'm going to quilt it.

Thumbnail by jumper2   Thumbnail by jumper2         

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9257690

I would think just through the obvious seams/straight lines...for the ribbons. For the rest, well a leaf/petal pattern would be nice, don't you think?

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9257697

Susan, I agree about straight lines for the ribbons. just would like ideas about the tan fabric strips.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9257698

DD still has ribbons left! I'm thinking another pillow.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 28, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9257706

Each time I visit this thread there are more ohhh's and ahhh's to be had..one talented bunch of ladies..

Well someone found a comfy place to sleep, thinks it is for her use and not mine..tried to work for an hour or so but she insisted it was her turn to enjoy!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9257802

That's what I mean - the fabric strips could be quilted in leaf or petal patterns
hope these links work
http://institchesquiltstudio.blogspot.ca/p/pantograph-patterns.html Blowing in the Wind
http://institchesquiltstudio.blogspot.ca/p/pantograph-patterns.html Chevron Feather

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9257817

OH my!!! I REALLY enjoyed all the pictures and ideas tonight!!!

Kathy/kizmo... NOW there is an awesome red/white/black quilt for your baby blanket!!! Just take Mork's finished work! LOL

Ribbons is wonderful and a HUGe price would be a good idea. She loves it, well... then adoption ain't cheap! (you did say your quilts become like children!)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9257897

Lucy, what about horseshoes in the tan border?

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9258129

great idea, Barb!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9258486

what a much better idea, Barb!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9259005

Love the ideas of lucky horseshoes. I can see them in pairs, slightly angled, but only slightly, wouldn't want the "luck" to fall out!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #9259006

Check this out! How to draw horseshoes!
http://www.ehow.com/video_6041519_draw-horse-shoe.html

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 30, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9259326

Mittsy - that's wonderful! After I watched that, it went into "how to draw a violin"! I wonder how many different types of drawings Michael shows us?!

Well, time to get back to wonderful housework! lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9259569

Well not as fancy as what you all are making but I had a lot of fun with these. The pattern was free at McCall's Quick Quilts. I didn't add the appliques as I felt the fabric was busy enough. I also made them smaller than the pattern called for as I felt they would be too big for the little ones to carry. Mine finished at 13" wide and 16 " deep. When I cut the lining, I cut it 1" longer than the bag and simply folded it over at 1/2" twice to trim the top. I used grosgrain ribbon for the handles.
I've gotten 15 done so far and each one is different. I have a few more cut out and they are still different from these. They don't all show in the pic, I was going to hang them on the neighbors clothes line but it was too windy today.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9259597

We just had 2 1/2" of rain in under 45 min & it is still raining. CRAZY weather. My entire yard looks like a lake.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9259866

what a cute idea, Karen!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 30, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9259938

very ingenious, Karen, and so pretty!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9260053

Very cute Karen, what did you say you were going to use them for? Are these going to be specials gifts for grandkids or????

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9260094

Adorable, think I'll be knocking at your door come Halloween!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9260152

Pat, they are Trick or Treat bags. I just made them because I thought they were cute. I have 5 younger grands10 to 14, and 9 greats from 1 month to 10. Plus a few other kids I love to give gifts to.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9260169

Can tell you their eyes will be like saucers when you hand them over..did much the same when mine were younger...just think you are ahead of the game!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9260331

lol remember using pillow cases for Hallowe'en bags... sure have come a long way, haven't we?!?! They are going to be Thrilled with their "treat bags"!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9260469

helene, the black, white, & red wall hanging is a little over 27" square.
Thanks to all for your kind words.
jumper, what a great idea for the ribbons. It is just gorgeous!
silo, love the trick or treat bags!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9260482

Am trying to keep up with projects as all of you are such avid quilters...seems it's a partnership effort..just wish my helper would go find something else to do!!!

Took the piece off the quilters frame which Missy did not like, ready for the border and she's just made herself right at home..guess I'll go take a quick break and hope she decides to go chase mousies..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9260494

Going to give her shove!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9260514

Missy sure has made herself at home lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9260539

That she is..not about to let me sew..so cutting out totes!!!

She won..never does she claw but today she is..think she's missing Sailor

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9260578

of course she's grieving

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9260584

Oooooh, Betty, love the tea pot and cups. Missy reminds me of my Zena.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy         

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9260589

Rosie likes to keep and eye on things, making sure I get it right I guess. I do enjoy my quilting buddies despite all that cat hair...

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy      

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9260602

Got to love it. Riley doesn't bother, always off on an adventure but Missy is always underfoot! Love the photo's..your craftroom looks like mine at the moment..

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9260616

Our furries sure do know how to keep us company!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012

Post #9260656

My cat will NOT leave me alone... her FAVORITE place is ON my labtop computer across the warm air exhaust.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9260692

Got to say I'm proud of myself..used all the Christmas blocks we did in 2010 and 2011 into a quilt for SIL, now I've used up almost all the 2 1/2" strips from our last swap so ready to look for another project here with everyone..

The swap strips

Guess sewing just plum tuckers you out!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9260714

Barb, have you posted a picture of your SIL quilt with all the Christmas blocks?

I know, I know... for someone who can NEVER post a picture I sure ASK for photos!! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9260737

Ohhhh did Barb do one as well, would love to see it?? Mine ended up king size..kept a few blocks and almost tempted to make SIL shams

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9260742

Betty - how're you doing on the Round Robin quilt stuff? Did you send your center out?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9260751

Yep... go to September! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277965/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America