AUGUST part two, what are we working on?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

New thread, we were over 200 #.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Followed you over...

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Me too!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Me three.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Me four!

Been cutting out pieces for the baby quilt my sister-in-law wants me to make for her. I had enough pink and lavender in my stash to get it done. It is in big "Courthouse Steps" and is quilted as you add each row. I just need to be careful that it doesn't go wonky on me when I sew it.....Off to finish cutting........

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm lurking.

Got all the toppers washed. They are covered in loose fabric threads. Big job ahead to de-string and press before trimming down the extra wide sashes. I would love to work each one as individual small quilts and then attach a series of finished quilts together. Anyone ever done that? Working on large pieces is a huge problem because we travel between homes weekly. A smaller size would allow me to roll up and transport on small rails. Advice would be appreciated.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

I am gum on your shoe, me 6

Laurel The "quilt as you go" method on you tube or google

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

I have arrived also.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Laurel - there are a lot of "quilt as you go" tutorials on line. As Helene said, just Google it and you will find all kinds of help. I have company on their way or I'd go find a few links for you.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kArIng_1Nzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn8ffH-vh8&feature=fvwrel

Here are a few links for you!

Laurel, I just finished a "Quilting BIG projects on your little machine, the cost of the class was $29. I think for what you want, going to Utube and viewing would probably satisfy your needs. There is a technique where you quilt each of the blocks (in your case the quilt 1/4 or more), add a small border as sashing and connect the pieces that way. It does entail sewing those pieces together by machine via the sashing, then finishing with hand stitching. If you don't find the tutorial, send me a Dmail and I'll try to describe it in more detail or find you some rescources online that will walk you thru it.

See LOL? Linda posted before I could reply! Hope those meet your needs.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Before I got my long arm I did a few Quilt as you go. I put the blocks together using a narrow sashing that coordinated. There are a few methods out there.

Thank you all for the advice. Taters, the second method looks promising. The tops are already made and will be about 36" square when trimmed. Each top had eight 8" squares plus borders. I intend to hand quilt each of nine sections and then sash the sections together. How that will be done will determine how much batting and backing to leave. Need to puzzle this out. I was thinking about leaving enough batting to join, by whip stitch, in the center and then sew the sashing over the seam allowance edges of the quilts. That would still leave the back sections to join and they would have to be hand done at that point. This may be my magnum opus. lol

Laurel, yes, if you leave enough batting with each strip so you can then join the batting with whip stitch, and since I am a bit of a stickler to stick (no pun intended)to either all machine sewing or all hand quilting, I would use embroidery thread and use the "crazy quilt stitch" (you know looks like chicken feet) not sure what it's called to add the sashing. It is work but would make it 'authentic' and you do know embroidery.

just want to mention "www.whittlesfabric.com" has some nice things around $5.00

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

posted across the sidewalk, but here is a color palette selector that I rec'd a link for in the emails today. You can upload a pic of a quilt, fabric, photo, etc, then it will pull a selection of colors to coordinate with your main color.. I've been playing with it, and it brings out colors/shades/hues that I wouldn't have considered...

http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Kathy, is it a freebie?

Yes, it is free. I was just playing with it, you need to add a picture from your computer, then it pulls up all the colors possible to use! Pretty neat!

VERY cool, thanks for link!

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I tried that link - not sure what I can do with it though...... maybe I'm being dense? Wouldn't be the first time LOL

Well, got some more thunderstorms today, while I was at work. Close on to being a tornado, the weather network said....
We had quite a dust storm - looking out from the 8th floor, we couldn't see the parking lot for the dust! and the windows were shaking! Then we got rain, and tiny hail. Glad it wasn't worse, but I think there must have been a car accident in the worst of the dust-up cuz an ambulance went by shortly afterwards.
Anyway, again no damage at home.
However.......... came home to having the water shut off at home. It was planned, and to be for 4 days at least. Not happy about it, but what do you do?!?! There's a leak somewhere in our neighbourhood, and the City can't find it so they're excavating.........

4 days w/o water!!!!! That is my fear since we are on a well here. I can live w/out elec for a few days but I NEED water!!!!! Hopefully they will find the leak & fix it quickly.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning, everyone! Yes it was a free link. I have saved pics of fabrics and also copied and saved pics from my stash, just to see how it worked. Pretty neat! Seems like there is another site that I have purchased fabric from online, that has a similar offering as you select your fabrics, there is a place to click that brings up coordinating fabrics from their stock. But I can't remember who it is at the moment. Guess I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning... LOL
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, fell asleep in the recliner after Hubby went to bed.. long day yesterday. LOL Susan, hope you planned ahead and stored up some water. We had to do that when our elec. when the storm knocked out our power, as the water tables were getting low here. It was a 'just in case' situation, but we didn't lose water pressure, thank goodness. Like Jean, I can handle not having electricity - but no water for days isn't fun!
Kids will be here tomorrow, so I finally got a day off to finish cleaning and such. Everyone have a great day!

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=76308&ParentCat=2
This site has a color matcher, as well as a link you can click on to see all fabrics in that line.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

that's the one, Linda! I haven't been buying online lately, so had forgotten which site it was. Thanks for posting!

Victoria Harbour, ON

I've enjoyed doing sew as you go in panels, did 3 christmas throws and a king size christmas bedspread from our christmas swap blocks..think I'll continue to quilt in same manner

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty - I really like how you do your Christmas quilts. They are wonderful.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You guys just cost me $$$ lol

I ordered a frame to be used with regular sewing machine..they say I'll get it within 2 weeks, being sent out tomorrow, let's hope it's as easy as what it shows

Bettypauze, those look great!

Our water at Maypop (our cottage) is pumped up hill from a fresh water spring cistern. When we loose power we have no water. Maypop is deep in the woods so it can take the electric company days to get to us, especially if we have trees down on our road. I learned years ago to keep water stored in the house and a big garbage can full in the basement. That's so we can flush toilets. We can hike the 1/4 mile downhill to the spring and back up, hauling water if needed, but we are on the downside age of marathoning and the slave kids grew up.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now that's a chore..think I'd be bathing once a week when that happens!!!

we had similar on candlewood lake Ct years ago. Went down to the beach and pumped drinking cooking water.If we used it in winter we melted snow for the Johns. That is when we would be w/o power. Had only big ben stove to heat the house.
gorgeous quilts betty.

friends In my neighboehood today.We shook hands

Thumbnail by helenethequeen Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Victoria Harbour, ON

Ahhh, nothing like having wildlife in the gardens..

I'm in the path of deer herd in the winter..

Bears are in search of food, been a hard year for them..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, can you post full size pictures of your quilts? I would love to do a variation of those!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh yes Betty, Please?

me too please

Victoria Harbour, ON

will d-mail you the info

lots of add on's on these

Betty - lovely, lovely, lovely - and you're able to do these quilts from swaps!

Jean - yes, it's awkward to say the least, and yes, I know some people do this all the time.
But my concern is for the elderly ones in the park. Picture an 80yo+ woman having to use the porta-potty at midnight!
The City will supply bottled water for those that aren't able to get their own. Hope they mean the 20 gallon bottles of water, not the little ones for drinking!
They'll supply us with passes to the swimming pool so we can shower, and the water trucks too - 4 of them in a park for 183 homes.......... and the porta-potties are at the same place - 2 potties per area, 4 areas of the park.
I'll be SO glad when this is over and they've re-tested the water for safety.
One of the workers said it should be done by Friday suppertime.

That's what a "honey bucket" is for... those midnight trips that should not be done out of your home!

lol Bob just reminded me that we'd gotten a chemical toilet for dry camping last year, then never used it! Have the "special tp" and bags, too! lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all! Sent what I had of the 12 months of Christmas to those who provided me with their e'mails..just remembered where original patter might be so off to look and if found will fwd.

Thanks for posipitive comments on these 3 blankets..got to tell you they were more work than I anticipated but was thrilled when they were done and must say the DIL's appreciated the work I had put in them..

Home today, almost done my chores and am hoping to put together a kitchen piece as I ordered (because I'm so envious of those of you who have long arm machines) a frame that you attach your 3 layers and quilt on regular machine..kind of Mickey mouse for those of you who have the real McCoy but did think thins might be the answer to bunching fabric up when free motion quilting..just checked tracking and with luck will have it this week so I do know I will want to try it and need something ready..best I hurray and finish housework , no can play until chores are done..is that not what we teach the children??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.