Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Tomato Sandwiches

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 14, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9241291

This is one of my favorite summertime meals for lunch or dinner. I make 2 different kinds.
Cold:
2 slices of your favorite type is bread
A nice sized garden fresh tomato.
A little miracle whip or mayo
Pepper

Slice your tomato into nice thick slices. Blot with a paper towel & sprinkle with pepper.
Layer tomato onto bread. Spread a thin layer of mayo on the other piece & top your tomatos.
Easy & delish!

My hot sandwich has cheese.

2 slices bread
Thin slices garden fresh tomato
Pepper
Fresh as you can find it mozzarella.

I have one of those convertible sandwich makers with the sandwich, grill & waffle plates. For this I use the grill plates lightly sprayed with non stick cooking spray. If you don't have one you can do it on the stovetop, in the oven or on the grill.

Spray whatever you're cooking on so your bread doesn't stick.

Blot tomato slices with a paper towel. Sprinkle tomato with black pepper. Layer tomato & mozzarella between bread slices. Put your sandwich into your prepared cooking vessel. I close my sandwich maker with the grill plates & latch it. I like a flat sandwich. Cook until bread is toasted & cheese is melted. Serve immediatly.
Also delish esp with some tomato soup.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9241703

I love fresh tomato sandwiches! Do not recall the making the hot one, sounds yummy!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9241857

Oh my gosh try it! So good I love how the salt in the mozzarella brings out more of the tomato flavor. You can use sliced deli mozzarella too but I love fresh it melts so nicely. :) Grownup grilled cheese!
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9242675

Another great openfaced tomato "sandwich" that we anxiously wait to have as soon as we get fresh tomatoes-

Toast an English muffin, bagel or good quality bread, spread with cream cheese and top with a thick slice of garden fresh tomato ( greenhouse or winter tomatoes just don't work!!) Grind fresh black pepper and sea salt over the top and prepare to taste a little bit of heaven!! I could eat these three meals a day all summer long... love those Ohio tomatoes!!!

My favorite is with the "everything" bagels -onion, garlic, sesame seed & poppy seed -the best!!

Enjoy- MWhit
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9242701

OMG must try all the luscious sounding sammys!!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9243472

We just had BLTs for breakfast. Third time this season, ever since the Whoppers started to get ripe. Yum...
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9249529

Love tomato sandwiches--well, really tomato in any form are my kryptonite.

My favorite breakfast sandwich on the weekends or when I'm on vacation is a BTCE--bacon, tomato, cheese and egg usually on some type of heavy wheat bread (toasted). Sometimes I do plain bacon but sometimes I do the little sprinkle of brown sugar and grind coarse black pepper over it and bake it off in the oven. The egg in over easy with a mid way runny yolk that I bust and spread on the bread. Sometimes with a smear of mayo. Ridiculously good but with in season tomatoes--it really is the best:lol:

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9250749

Mmmmm that sounds soooo good!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9250758

Bought a rotisserie chicken so tonight we had chicken sandwiches with a big slab of tomato. LOL

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9250863

Our favorite sandwich is sliced tomatoes on whole wheat bread with mayo and provolone cheese. A wonderful and easy summertime lunch.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9251033

Back in the day when I was stretching pennies to feed my kids, I made open faced sandwiches for them. First I toasted one side of a slice of bread, in the oven. Then I flipped it over, spread baked beans on the slice, topped it with a big slice of tomato, and a couple strips of bacon cut to size, put it under the broiler. They loved them. They might still, haven't asked!!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9251771

meezers: I will have to try that. Hubster & the kids loves baked beans & bacon. My youngest doesn't like tomato but she'll live. :) This is why I eat lima beans which I *hate* because then there's no excuse. My mother almost died of shock when she saw limas here. She agrees that my "lead by example" reasoning is pretty soild though.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9252085

Throw a slice of cheese on hers...no, wait, everybody else will want one too. Not a bad addition though. Under the tomato...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9252495

I say, "Feed them and they'll come (around)". I like the sound of open face beans, M5. There are all kinds of possibilities there.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9252556

There are, and beans are so good for you. I don't see any reason why you would be limited to the pork and beans from a can, a cannelini bean, even red or black beans would work just as well, kick up the flavor for adults ...endless variations on the horizon. In fact, I might do that for us one of these days with all the fresh tomatoes we've got coming.. This was a budget item back in the day...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America