2012 > on Gordon's Roof here

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well . here's a few of this years pictures..all the time something new here..
we'll start with this first one you might not have seen.. unless you'd seen a few photos I'd posted of it last year... a small flowering brug.. last year I'd thought I had it in a palce with too much exposure to the elements... wind and such.. it made an extreamly small flower... this year I moved it back into a more sheltered location in the roof garden.. it gets full sun and is growing stronger .. more flowers and a larger plant.. but still the small flowers.. always a double... some drop down the blooms but often the skirts are stuffed ..
to get an idea of the tiny size of the blooms they are pictured with some money which you can understand the size of... it has an unusual fragrance... perhaps a lemon with a hit of stronger hot spice ..overtone..

This message was edited Aug 14, 2012 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Mulberry, FL

I was checking that out on BGI cool little brug there I really like the small ones too I have a little pink double here just like that but pink. I just off load a bunch of pic's off my computer free up some room or I would show you

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

neat Dana...
what is it called...
how big/small is it
where did you get yours...

Mulberry, FL

Its a carbon copy of yours but pink I grew it from seed

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well.. moving on to big ones...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brownstown, IN

Very pretty Gordon, I love the small ones as well.

Karen

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice brugs, Gordon!! Looking good :)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Gordon,
What and how frequently do you feed them? Those are some amazing flushes.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Dana... here's my tiny in pink.. the other day the tiny pink one bloomed... it has tiny double pink flowers on one limb.. and tiny single pink blooms on the other limb.. Where did your seeds come from... having a tiny pink and a tiny white.. I'm thinking mine were from the same batch of seeds..and I can't remember where that was ...they most likely might have been some of mine.. as I'm better with the tags of ones I've received from others.. picture to follow..
Thanks all... I'm a proud parent...
Birdie... I feed alot of things... as often as I can remember to get myself up and do so...
... and I like to treat the soil in the fall and winter with alfalfa pellets.. like horse feed... just to boost the soil...I start out the year with piles of cow manure...followed after a month or so with algoflash flowering...http://www.algoflash.com/
I spray on alternating weeks with messenger ....http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenproblems/gr/Messenger.htm I did hear they aren't selling it or another company is... ..I alternate this with spraying of Spray-N-Grow... I use it with the wetting agent and fertilizer they have ... www.spray-n-growgardening.com/ then I go to MG... for tomatoes... and sometimes with their bloom ...sometimes Megagrow

Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Really nice flowers Gordon! I'd like to see your rooftop from a helicopter:-)

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

yes.. I've always wanted to charter one for a flight over... you can see it out the left side of a plane going into LaGuardia airport from the south.. their flight path is just east of here...right over the house.. or fly in with the president from Kennedy.. he flies right overhead.. there's a church steeple across the street.. turned co-op housing.. I keep thinking I'd go to the owner of the steeple and ask to shoot it from there..
oh to my list of food above...I'd like to add.. Super thrive...http://www.superthrive.com/indexa.html
there's others also.. the recipe scroll down to see my take on it
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/956114/

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Really nice! Next time I fly into LaGuardia with my friend (HA!) Barrack I'll check it out!

I was at a pet expo today and got a magnet for my car that says "My dog is smarter than the president" I love it!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Very pretty :) Everything looks so nice!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OH... it's too cold for me... OH 59* now... guess the plumeria would rather be inside already.. the brugs are not minding it just yet.. but I'm sure they would rather be a bit warmer.. and not quite as wet...
here's a few ... this is Kelly Anne... a strong grower here...
the next photo is Kelly Anne on the right ... with Brazilian Treasure on the left...and a great place to sit.. inbetween.. if the cushions weren't so wet

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Just found this thread, those small blooming brugs are just out of this world. I was wondering where you are able to find seeds for these small blooming ones. Thanks for any help

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous brugs! It's cold and wet here too, blah! I am starting to bring things in and put things in the greenhouse. Do you have any experience with the spheros? I'm sure I asked you this before but I can't remember. I have some seedings and I'm not sure whether to put them in the greenhouse or the cool basement. I think they're too young for dormancy but it does get warm in the greenhouse when the sun is out. I'm torn.
Did you get anything from Grassy Knoll's clearance?? I got 7 passies and a clerodendron. BTW the Wonga Wonga vine is doing great! Maybe flowers next year?!
Rox

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

yes...wonga is doing great here.. not a sign of flowers yet either..
I don't know what a spheros is.. I googled it and didn't see a plant with that name

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Sorry,mis-spelled it should have been Sphaerocarpium , cold group brugs.

Mulberry, FL

Hi Gordon Happy Birthday day late!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Home today sick so thought I would spend my day perusing DG and came across your thread, beautiful growing there, Gordon. All mine came inside during the heat spell, will have blooms inside again this year. Cold here already this week.. hope you get everything in your safe house and have a good winter!
Debra

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

thanks Debra.... oh.. I've another month before it comes in..today Flemming Island Rachael bloomed... it looks like lips on her innermost skirt... and lovely Maya again today.. she dropped three dozen blooms the other day.. and with the two dozen flowers she dropped.. still had maybe 4 dozen of them to bloom..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

All nice, Gordon.

love the statue, by the way..

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

thanks .. oh the lady.. I was looking for a hair piece for her.. and ran across the Tahatian bridal veil she's sporting.. the first bust I planted back in the late 60's had that same TBV as her hair...so it wa an easy choice for this one a revisitation

well now u made me google that plant, dang it! LOL

Brownstown, IN

Very nice Gordon, love your garden!
Karen

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Beautiful brugs. I have brought mine into the garage since they have warned of frost. I still have 3 in the ground that I haven't dug. I hope they last for a while.

Corte Madera, CA

Love the brug that blooms $50 bills! Yeah =).

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Gordon. I love the little blooms. OK, I love them all!!!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

brazilian treasure.. flowers sticking almost horizontally

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Flemming Island Rachael bigger flowers each time..

gorgeous! love that RIF

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful blooms as always Gordon. The little blooms are just too cute!! The bust with Tahatian bridal veil is lovely. The morning glories are nice also..Looks like you have had another great growing year...

Just beautiful. How much, since these are on the rooftop, do the people down below see? I can imagine that they stop and stand in awe. I know I would.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Oh..Thanks Pat... keep up the good work there...
Trish... well... thanks ... yes it has been a good year there.. I never got over to the Delta this year.. so I didn't barge in to see you on the other side of the river... but Doe's has been calling me... and this year I'll definately try to make it there...
MyRee... thanks... I looked back a few years and couldn't find any photos of what it looks like from the streeet... not much to see... just the tops of a couple of roses and some brugs sticking up above the roof line.. you can see there's something growing up there... but no indication as to what it's really like up there...I'm the tallest building about ... so no one can really see anything much..just invited guests that visit.. and my online friends... so sharing it here is a big part of the experience of having it for me.. and the kind comments from some verry accopmlished gardeners here .. make my day..
OH... here he is ... enjoying the last of the summers sun in the middle of his 66th October.. wearing a 43 year old jacket...with Kelly Ann

:) I always like seeing the pictures that go with the names. Your flowers are spectacular. I live in a neighborhood with just ordinary houses. My little one next door is 86 years old. I love it when people stop to talk about flowers and ask for seeds or advice. I just dug up my 3 that I had planted in the garden after I cut 10 pretty good size stocks off the plants and started the rooting process. I planted the stumps in large pots and brought them in the garage. We will see how they do. I am really excited for next year, not having to start any from seeds and having some pretty nice size plants, most of the cuttings are 3-4' tall.
(My hair color is like your color - I couldn't keep it dark anymore since the roots are almost white.)
This is a picture of me (far left) with my children and most of the grandkids.

Thumbnail by MyRee

Sorry, picture didn't load.

Thumbnail by MyRee
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Gordon, love the jacket! I have a pair of knee high suede moccacins I bought in 1979 that I don't have the courage to wear! Ha ha!!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Love the Picture Gordon. We may be getting older, but still young at heart. Great Jacket!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images