Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Question/observation....

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9241381

I am just curious...drainage is such a vital part of healthy plants, but why don't the majority of pots have holes?!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9241586

All the pots I use have drainage holes - if they don't have them when I buy the pot, I drill them - even if the pots are clay or ceramic pottery. It's extremely difficult to grow in a pot w/o drain holes if you're using it as the primary pot and not as a cache pot; and the margin for grower error is very small. One over-night rain or a simple over-application of water can easily do you in. Also, there is no way to flush the soil of accumulating salts, which will always loom on the horizon if you don't address it in some manner - like using deionized (distilled) water and being extremely careful about fertilizing. It's just not worth the risk, in my estimation.

Al
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

August 14, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9241611

I find the majority of pots HAVE holes actually. They are VERY necessary.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9241627

I use "antique" pots. I've had a lot of luck finding pottery from W. Germany. :) Yay flea markets & thrift shops! Since I can't bring myself to drill holes in something that old. I just use similar sized crappy plastic pots in them. Then pull out to water. My plants are happy, I'm happy & I have some really neat old stuff.
Any pretty pottery I purchase new without drainage gets hit with the drill. I learned the hard way to do this. Took one of my pretties out in a pot with no drainage. It rained, my plant drowned & the smell of plant death from overly moist soil is not pretty.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9241925

Drainage is best, but I do have a few plants in plastic pots "inside" pots without drain holes. This way I can leave them wet or drain the excess out and then replace them in their "pretty" pot. My house gets insanely hot in summer and my pepperomia seems to like being in that pot without the drain hole.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America