Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar: Bonemeal, Newspaper & Hydrogel

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and VinegarReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MerryKold
Boston, VA

August 14, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9241550

I loved this article. More, please. Here at the Inn on Thistle Hill B&B, we garden organically and don't put any commercial pesticides, herbicides or any other 'cides and spring, summer and fall constantly get compliments on our gardens. Would love to know about a natural remedy for poison ivy, by the way.

Regarding newspapers/cardboard. I considered it briefly, once. But then, I smelled it. Major chemicals. Even the soy ink is mixed with who-knows-what. Felt kinda silly even thinking about it. One winter, to save money, I decided to start my seeds in little paper cups. They were stunted or didn't grow at all. Eeww, and we drink from these cups?

Regarding bonemeal. Knowing what I do about how badly cows are treated, and the antibiotic saturation along with all the chemicals they're fed, I just couldn't. There are other ways.

About Hydrogel. Now this item makes no sense to me. If it's so absorbent, why oh why, when it gets dry would it release its liquid to plants. Personally, it seems that in dry conditions it would steal moisture from the plants. Here's an unnatural, chemical-company-made sales item for us to spend lots of money on and no way to know if it actually works or, if found harmful, how would we get it out of our gardens?? My husband and I went round and round about this when I refused to buy potting soil with it in it. I dug my heel in, stuck out my chin and he knew he would not win. Actually, I found a great organic potting soil which is all we use now, or we mix our own.

Thanks for the sounding board...

luvinlife
Calgary
Canada

August 16, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9243393

This is a great article. Thanks for sharing! I have long wondered about the point and use of bonemeal. It never really made much sense to me, I never bought it and any that was given to me, I just sprinkled randomly. I guess if I ever have a place with poor soil, I'll spread some around just to give it a start. I've used newspaper in my compost but never directly in the garden. I like the way it breaks down and helps control the bugs in the composter. Cardboard is pressed into place using glue, isn't it? I don't understand why someone would put this into their garden then. I've never heard of hydrogels, so I guess that's a good thing now. Can't say I would have tried them anyway. Thanks again for this article, it cleared up a few of my wonderings!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Bone Meal, Newspaper, Hydrogels and Vinegar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks poisondartfrog 0 Aug 10, 2012 5:26 AM
More thanks ardesia 4 Sep 23, 2012 9:46 AM
Newspaper as mulch dodges7 3 Aug 14, 2012 4:13 AM
Newspaper as barrier lauragene 1 Aug 13, 2012 8:09 AM
A little late on my part soive2000 1 Aug 23, 2012 9:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America