Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Daily bird pics #444

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 112, Views: 1,205
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 14, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9241646

We've come from here. Please visit to see the excellent bird captures. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273320/

These shots are from a few days ago. First is an Australian Spotted Crake at a local wetland. Next, a Buff-banded Rail, then a couple of shots of Pink-eared Ducks and last, a distant shot of Red-necked Avocets.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 14, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9241650

Next is a male Australian (or is it Australasian) Shoveler, then Mountain Shelducks in romantic pursuit, next a couple of gorgeous little Welcome Swallows gathering mud for their nests and last, a Black-necked Stilt.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 14, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9241651

First, a mixed bag of Grey Teal, Australian Shovelers and Pink-eared Ducks spooked by a Brown Goshawk (not shown). Then a Purple Swamphen and finally, a Black Swan on its nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9241745

Wonderful sharp, clear photos Margaret. Beautiful collection of birds.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9241809

Margaret, Thanks for the new thread...and what a great start it is...with all those beautiful photos!! So many varieties, some I've never even heard of. Incredible clarity and detail. It's definitely hard to pick a favorite, but I do have a soft spot for Swallows.

Great shots, Hack! The first one is really cool, but I love the variety. I do think your Goldfinches are coming soon...just probably a little later in the season.

By next Spring you should have Black-eyed Susans coming up. The first year they'll be smaller plants, but still very pretty. By the second year they should really spread!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9241860

Nice new thread start Margaret. Love the Pink-eared Duck shots. Yep. I'm enjoying the 7D.

Yes, nuts, hopefully I'll have Black-eyed Susans in the future. I also bought five Coneflower plants.

Hack
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 15, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9241981

Great shots Margaret! Love them all but especially the Swallows, Swamphen, Crake and Avocets!
Thanks for starting the new thread!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9242471

I have some pics to share.

1- Absolutely my best Ruby-throated Hummer pic ever. I finally got some red.

2- Another of my many Cardinals, a male.

3- Caught this female Downy Wp at the Suet buffet.

4- Caught her partner, too. He would get a bit of Suet, move out onto the limb, eat, and then go back for more. The female just stayed the whole time she fed.

5- Here is a House Sparrow couple eating some seeds.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9242682

Love the sea birds! And great photos, Hackster!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9242724

Thank you for the new thread, Margaret. Very nice photos. Is the Pink-eared Duck misnamed? I looked, but didn't see any. :) Are your Welcome Swallows the same as our Barn Swallows? I really like that name, because our Barns are always welcome to come here. I was enamored once again by them swooping around me this morning. I really did not want to go back inside.

Hack, great pictures too. I just adore those little hummingbird feet. :)

A couple of you commented about the Mourning Doves in the last thread. I fully agree with you. I want to say more and just deleted a chunk, but I am just happy to know there are others who think dove hunting is senseless.

Onto my photo. Yeah, I took this one- usually it is my son who gets the really good shots. We're signed up for a nature photography class this Saturday and I am not sure he really needs it. This was a real treat because I was standing a short ways from this bird. Not too many brave the feeders when we are outside.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 15, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9242937

Nice ones Hack and Chilly!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 15, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9242945

Beautiful birds, everyone.

Chillybean, the Pink-eared Duck has a patch of pink feathers above its ears. I think the pink varies with the season. Here's a link to the bird files. http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/893/
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 15, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9243077

Wonderful job on all your shots, Margaret. It great to be able to see the different birds, from your country. Thanks for the new thread.
Hack congratulation on getting that shot of the Hummer. They are hard to get. I had a little female charging me the other day. it was so funny. Such a small tiny little thing showing so much spunk.:D
Chilly that's one Woodpecker I don't get to see here. I would love to see one.

A little flycatcher stop by today. Don't know which one though.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9243105

Very nice shots, Hack, and Congrats on the Ruby-throated male!! He's simply glowing!

Cute pic of the Red-bellied WP, Chillybean!

Great catch of the Flycatcher, burn!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9243536

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Chilly, that is a wonderful shot of the Red-belly Wp. Hope you and your son get a benefit from the Nature Photography class - if you get any good tid-bits, free to pass on to your DG buddies. I, too, love those dainty little hummer feet.

burn, I've love to phot a flycatcher, sweet.

Bye,
Hack

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9243676

Margaret, once again you have shown us some beautiful photos of the waterfowl (and birds) in your area-all I can say is they're all so beautiful. Thank you for the new start.

Hack, great job with your hummer shot-he's a handsome guy. Your birds sure are fed well. Loved all the other photos too.

Chillybean, your wp photo is great. Glad you got to see it up close.

Burn, what a sweet little flycatcher. It sure looks young.

I have a ton of young brewer's blackbirds here that are looking pretty ragged during their moult.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9243819

yep, duc, my birds eat pretty good.

Nice pic, looks more green/brown than black to me - is it the molt and sun reflection?.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9244573

1- Spotted a red-bellied woodpecker feeding.

2- and a Blue Jay.

3- and a Downy woodpecker

4- and a Downy along with a House Sparrow

5- I guess they were thirsty, House Sparrows.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9244579

The red-belly looked over-exposed so I dulled it.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9244925

Great shot of the Brewer's Blackbird, duc! Looks like he's trying to figure out why there's so many empty shells in the tray.

Quite a lot of activity at that suet feeder, Hack! I really like all five shots, but I particularly like #2 & #3. Very clear and sharp. That Blue Jay's a beauty.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9245641

Hack, the colors on my blackbird are the sum on the iridescent colored feathers. Super photos of your birds! I'd sure love to see one of those red-bellied in person, they sure are pretty.

Here's my only female juv. black-headed grosbeak.
This female brewer's blackbird has a deformed bill but I think it adds to her charm. She's eating without any problems.
The juv scrub jays are becoming more aggressive at the feeder box.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9245852

duc, that black-headed grosbeak is magnificent. Great detail!

I have some to share.

1- snapped a pic of a juvy Robin, it looks a little confused

2- been seeing this Mockingbird in the grass a lot.

3- one of my ever-present J-birds

4- I really liked the capture of this male Downy Woodpecker, handsome little bird.

5- I finally hung me a nester and have only seen one bird visit it, a chickadee. I just stuffed the nesting material into an old suet feeder. I drilled holes and inserted dowel rods to serve as perches. The dee landed on one of my home-made perches. I have another of this kind of suet feeder and will make me a second nester later, for the spring.

Bye, Hack

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9245900

Great shots Hack and Duc.

Hack, I put up a hanging suet feeder with the fluff, but no takers yet. But a Goldfinch was seen at the cage full of hair last week.

Duc, Glad your Blackbird seems to be doing ok.

I've got a bird of "my own" I am concerned about. Can anyone tell me if the upper bill of this Cardinal will grow back? It struggled with the black oil sunflower seeds, so mostly eats the peanuts we have. Today I bought a bag of "mess free" sunflower seeds to put out. This picture was taken eight days ago, and it was still seen today. I think it's an adult female.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9245998

Beautiful shots, Margaret. Do any of these birds migrate ?

Hack, you sure are busy. I haven't put any birdseed out during the summer months. If I did, the Blackbirds and Starlings would clean it up in no time.

Nice photos duc. I like the Black-headed Grosbeaks.

Chillybean, your best bet is probably to keep feeding it whatever it is eating. There is a chance that her beak might grow but could still be deformed.

Here is a series of recent photos that I took of the 'Great Egret'.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9246004

Lots of Great Blue Herons around ...

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9246009

Hundreds of American Avocets at Bombay Hook. They have lost most of their breeding season coloration.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9246011

One more ... a Belted Kingfisher.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9246016

Margaret, how did you get those Red-necked Avocets to stand in a line like that? lol Must have been some photoshopping going on there. ;)
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 18, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9246086

A wonderful series of shots of the shore birds, Linth. The Egret is so beautiful!
Chilly, it's so sad, to see so much deformities in birds. I have seen quite a bit here too. Some have been coming back for the pass few years. Hopefully yours will too, especially if they have someone as considerate, as you are.
Really nice shot of the young Robin, Hack.
Duc does the Grosbeak migrate in your area?

I had the Black-throated Green Warbler at the pond the other day. A lifer for me.
The Pine Sisken iare still numerous in the yard.
These little beauty will be leaving for the South soon. I have three chasing each other.
And Purple Finch.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9246421

Chilly, I once had a Card that had a bad beak, I saw it at my feeders for a long time. I only saw it one season, though. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Super pics linth, Those egret pics are fantastici! is Bombay Hook some kind of wet-lands? Did all your pics come from there?

burn, congrats of the lifer, great snap of it too.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9246462

Wow, you guys have been busy!

Duc, love the pics! The Black-headed Grosbeak juvie is stunning! That little Brewer's BB is really cute. I sure hope that it continues to eat okay. Food is plentiful right now so it should make it easier to get lots of practice with that beak. Those juvie Scrub Jays are funny, but so adorable.

Hack, you've been getting lots of great shots lately! Nice one of the juvie Robin. The Downy WP are really active little birds. They're at our suet feeders constantly and also love the mesh sunflower seed feeders. You did a nice job on your nester. Hope you start seeing more birds finding it soon. I have to keep ours filled right now cause the Goldfinches are constantly grabbing the fluff. I also find pieces of it around the yard that they dropped when they grabbed too much.

Chilly, I agree with linth. If she's doing okay with the unshelled foods and you don't mind supplying them, she might be alright. I guess only time will tell, but it's so hard to watch a bird that's struggling...just like the ones you know are sick and will eventually die. I try to take comfort knowing I've given them an environment with plenty of food and water to help them feel secure for however long they survive.

Linth, really incredible shots of the Great Egrets, GB Herons and Avocets...particularly the in-flight ones!! That's a handsome looking Belted Kingfisher, too!

Burn, Big Congrats on the Lifer!! The Pine Siskin is really sweet! When do you usually see your last Hummers? We, also, have lots of chasing going on right now. I think some of them are juvies. That Purple Finch is a Beauty!

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 6:24 PM
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9246693

Hack, Bombay Hook is a National Wildlife Refuge. It comprises about 16,000 acres, mostly salt marsh but some fresh water. It's a perfect location for wildlife photographers. It has a number of walking trails (for the younger visitors) and a 12.5 mile round trip auto roadway. Often water on both sides. When the insects get bad, photographers can just shoot from the car window. You can stop just about anyplace, get out, set up your tripod and wait for some action. It's along the Atlantic Flyway which helps attract migratory waterfowl and shorebirds. It's about a 1 3/4 hour drive for me. On Friday, my wife and I left home about 5:30 a.m. (I like to leave earlier, but ...) and arrived about 7:30 a.m. The tide was out. I'm still trying to determine what is the best time, i.e. high tide, or low tide. All of the photos were taken at Bombay Hook.

Here are a few more. 2 Great Egrets, Great Blue Heron, Glossy Ibis and an Osprey. Lots of shorebirds there but they give me a lot of difficulty in identification.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9246902

Thanks for the info linth, I'll have to Goggle Map it. Sure looks like a remakable place.

1,- My Blue Jays were back. It was overcast today. But I grabbed the 7D anyway.

2,- I wonder what they were looking at.

3. & 4.- Several Chipping Sparrows had a successful day offoraging in my yard. I had just cut the grass and the grubs were abundant.

5. I had never used a thing called "AI Focus", didn't even know what it was. But I read that in this mode, if you get subject in focus and the subject moves, then the camera will adjust focus itself to keep the subject in focus. I had this chipper in focus sitting in the grass and it took off, I pressed the shutter all the way and this is what I got. Looks like it worked. I photoshopped it, but in the original, the bird was high and to the left in the pic - I know it was not under the black sqaure in the viewfinder. Got to play around with this a bit more - and another mode called "AI Servo".

Bye, Hack

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9247549

Thank you all for your comments about our Cardinal. She was here yesterday at the hopper where I placed some of the special seed. Looking through the binoculars, the upper bill is a little brighter than the photo and if we (my husband looked too) are not seeing things, the bill looks a tad longer.

Hack, those are interesting pods in #2. Do the birds eat them? Your camera has some fun settings, I like your winged Chipping. Ours will probably be leaving soon, I noticed one that looked to be transitioning out of breeding plumage.

Linth, beautiful Osprey. My best shot had it sitting on its eggs, so I just got the head. Beautiful Kingfisher. We had one near here earlier until the creek started drying up.

Burn, congrats on your lifers- you need to post your Tennessee Warbler over here. :) That was a life bird for us this spring.

I've named this Red-tailed Hawk juvenile Baby. S/he cries a lot like one. We had stopped by the creek on our way home as is our habit now and this was perched on the pole. I didn't want to scare it off, but we needed to get home! As my husband inched forward, off it flew bawling as it went. I happened to be ready and got these photos.

Baby has been at our place, but we usually do not know it until we walk out the door, thus startling him/her and there it goes cryin' again.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9247669

We have had so many finch families. The young males are beginning to show their color now.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9247671

The first birds at our new birdbath my husband made. Finches again, of course.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9247892

Chilly, those pods are from a Wisteria vine that I poisoned. It was taking over my Red-tips. I've never seen any bird eat any of them, though. The Wisteria and I have an on-going battle. I saw a hawk yesterday as I was leaving the house. I rushed back in to get my camera and it vanished, dog-gone-it. I'm glad you got your juvy hawk.

Julie, I have lots of HOFINs too. Nice bird bath your hubby made. What did he use on top for the bath water container? I've been looking around for a bird bath top that I can sit flat on the the ground, in the shade of my red tip bushes - haven't come across anything yet.

Bye, Hack

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 5:35 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9247904

Thank Margaret for the new thread. I've been away for so long from this thread I couldn't possibly catch on to commend to everyone. May I say thanks for everyone sharing. Some time last week I saw a Green Heron, and one landed close to where I was standing, the bird startled to find me once it landed. But I was at awe how beautiful, and colorful it was. This pix is bit further away.

Yesterday I discovered the lone Swan revisited our lake. But this time it was quite a distance away too, so I couldn't get a good pix. Oh well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9247921

Hey, Lily, what kind of bird is #1?

I have some pix to share from the weekend.

1 and 2. It have a regular supply of Downy Woodpeckers, here's a female and a male.

3. The Brown Thrasher was back. Its eyes always draw my attention. Reminds me of a hawk.

4. A tufted titmouse has found my new feeder.

5. A Brown-headed Nuthatch is enjoying some shelled peanuts.

Bye, Hack

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9247987

I got too far behind. Linth, so glad to see you and your great photos back again. Burn, congratulations on another lifer! Chilly, I hope your little bird will survive too. Great photos everyone!

Here's a mourning dove, feeding time with the house finches, a lesser goldfinch, a red-tailed hawk and a young mockingbird.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9247988

Hey Hack,
He used an old garbage can bottom --then placed a wooden disc the size of the tree trunk base inside, to make a stable fit over the trunk, and finally cut some more plastic for the inside ring. Used quick-crete.
We like the rustic, unfinished look.

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9248010

Wonderful photos, linth! The Osprey looks so regal in that pic. Bombay Hook sounds like a great place to visit. I bet it's hard to leave with all those beautiful birds to look at and photograph!

Great shots, Hack! The last one is really special! You should try that shooting mode more often.

Chilly, that's great news! I doubt that both you and your husband would be mistaken about the beak. Who knows...maybe the top part of the beak just got a little behind schedule. Even if it grows out a little deformed, she may still be able to eat okay.

JulieQ, we also have lots of House Finches. I like your new bird bath that your husband built. It looks like the birds do too!

Lovely shots, Lily! You have quite a variety of birds at your lake!

Nice pics, Hack! Mr. & Mrs. Downy WP are very cute and you're right about the Brown Thrasher's eyes!

Love the detail on your pics, duc! That "feeding time" one is just adorable!

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 4:31 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9248831

Julie thanks for the bird bath reply. Your husband did good.

Yep nuts, I figured the same thing about the AI Focus shooting mode.

Bye, Hack

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9248854

Nice photos everyone! I don't have anything new to post, but on my morning walks the past week I have begun to see warblers already passing thru and several gnat catchers one morning. The male hummers are getting a bit plump too. Fall is really on the way I guess!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9249049

Nanny, please don't tell me fall is on the way! I'm glad you're seeing the warblers & gnat catchers but I'm sure not ready for any cold weather.

This juvenile brown-headed cowbird is beginning to get the darker feathers.
Here's a cute pair of mourning doves.
It took me most of the summer but I finally got a decent photo of an oriole in flight.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9249107

decent pic of a oriole in flight, duc, - I'LL say YOU SURE DID!

Bye, Hack
gazergirl
Mandeville, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9249621

Nanny, you are so right. I have seen the hummers beginning to arrive for the past several weeks. I put up an extra hummer feeder today, action didn't take long. It is a bittersweet pleasure, watching the hummers, when I know they will leave for the winter soon. But again, another winter to plot and plant! More nectar and seed/fruit producing plants will be on the way.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9249659

I snapped some more pix.

1 and 2 are the male and female Downy Woodpeckers I've had visiting for a while

3 is one of my ever-present male Cardinals

4 is a pair of Jay birds at the suet feeder. They were not taking turns, but they weren't bickering, either. After the one nearest the suet left, the other one ate some.

Bye, Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 22, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9249950

I was messing around with the video part of my camera, does anyone know how to do video on this page, am trying to get a video of the hummingbirds eating, but sometimes they don't cooperate;) Since I don't work this weekend I am going to try to get some of them eating and maybe a close up, It is hard and takes a lot of patience, yuck, there that word is again!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9249964

Teddy, you have to put the video on you tube or similar hosting site and then post a link to it. We tried starting a thread just for videos last year maybe, but it just didn't really take off.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9250052

Nanny, our Hummer activity has increased dramatically in the last couple of weeks. They chase each other all over the yard. My feeders are all far apart to try to keep peace, but they chase each other anyway, though everyone seems to be getting plenty of food. I also still have a few blooms they like. I think some of them might be siblings as they actually seem to be playing.

Gazergirl, every year I try to plant more nectar plants. Because of our extremely hot, dry Spring and most of the Summer this year, several of them didn't do so well (we have Summer landscape water restrictions). My Lobelia Cardinalis, though, are thriving. I planted them last year and they barely grew. This year they're nearly 4' tall! I have two plants...each one right near a Hummer feeder. They're so tall it's hard to get a decent pic, but maybe I'll post a section of one as it's a popular one with the hummers.

Great pics, Hack! You're getting better and better with the new cam. I wonder if those two Blue Jays are mates?

Nanny, I'm starting to experiment with the video mode on my cam. I'll have to sign on with You Tube, but I fully intend to post something on that bird video thread. I just recently discovered it and think it's wonderful! Don't give up hope, yet. I think it can still "take off" with a little prompting.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9250268

Nanny is that video thread just for birds or can for example squirrel videos be posted there as well?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9250273

Duc, I jumped down too far and missed your beautiful pics! Very impressive detail, as always. That Bullock's must have been a very difficult shot...great job!

Great question GG. Even though it says birds, I've wondered the same thing myself since squirrel videos could be very entertaining...or even other critters, for that matter. Course, then it would no longer be a Bird watching thread, but a Wildlife video thread isn't such a bad idea.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 4:10 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9250818

Thanks, nuts. About the two Jay Birds. Don't know about them being mates, I was wondering if maybe they were siblings. I've never noticed a pairing like this before. When I usually see Jays, they're by themselves.

Bye, Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9251021

Hack, I've seen Jays in my yard follow each other around from one place to another. Sometimes they'll call to each other from all over the yard (or also from surrounding yards), then join up in a tree, at the birdbath or feeders, etc...at all different times of the season. I figured yours could be mates or siblings.

Here's a couple of quotes from one of my bird books put out by the Smithsonian Institution that you might be interested in:

"BEHAVIOR: Usually in pairs or flocks; especially gregarious after nesting season."
"BREEDING: Monogamous. Solitary nester. Male feeds during courtship. May keep several mates for several years."

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9251088

The Video thread was here on the Bird Watching Forum. But you could always put a Squirrel video on the Wildlife Forum.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 23, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9251810

I agree with Nanny, GG. you should start one on the wildlife forum.
Good activity at all your feeders everyone, Things have picked up here too.

To start off, a common bird for most of you. the Grackle.
And another common one, the Goldfinch.
I have not seen this one in the pass few weeks, but he showed up yesterday. The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
Got a nice visit from the Flicker.
And last a juvie male Hummingbird

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9252112

Nice pictures, burn. It's always funny seeing birds going to feeders much too small for them. That is an interesting feeder-guessing homemade. How is it hangning? That's always been our problem with trying to make homemade from plastic containers, how to get them to hang?

Oh, keep your hummie away from here! We were just watching WWIII between two females. Though really bad, I got some pictures of the battle and one showed the bill of one right at the throat of the other. How the species thrives I have no idea...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9252329

The one good thing about the heat this year was that the grackles did not stay long...ours have been gone for over a month now!

Our hummer feeders are very busy now...lots of chasing so fun to watch!! Our son has really enjoyed them!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 24, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9252603

Hey Chilly, I've added a picture of the whole feeder and some instruction on how to make it. It's very easy to make.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1214698/
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 24, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9252841

I've been away for a few days in Sydney, but managed to get a couple of shots of birds whilst I was there. The first is a Noisy Miner, taken quite literally at my feet (wide angle lens) and a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, which hopped off the fence and started to get stuck into someone's oranges. The cockatoo was taken with my point and shoot, thus the poor quality.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9252963

Great shots everyone. Margaret, I love the eyes on the Noisy Miner. Cockatoo in the oranges--smart bird!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 25, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9252966

Ha. As you can imagine, two or three of these birds can strip a tree within an hour, casually moving from one orange to the next, never eating all of it, just chewing them to the point where they're no good to anyone.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9255399

Can't type, can't snap pics, - had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder Fri the 24th. I'll be lurking.

Hack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9255423

Speedy recovery to you Hack, love all the pics. everyone. I may not be able to hang around DG much. The program inhibits me from loading photos to our forums. I'll be lurking around, please keep in touch to all my friends here.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9255441

Beautiful shots, burn! Cool idea for your feeder, too.
The hummer at your Fuchsia plant really shows just how small they are. We have more Hummers right now than we've probably had in years (even during other migrations). They're everywhere...still rarely share feeders, though. Fortunately we have enough feeders out plus blooming hummer plants to keep them all happy.

Nanny, it is fun. Do you have more now, this year than other years, like we do?

Love the pics, Margaret! Oh, those naughty Cockatoos...I bet the orange growers hate them (but they're still a beautiful bird)!

Oh no, Hack, I hope you're alright!! Was this something pre-planned or did you have an accident? OOPS, sorry...I forgot you can't type. Well...LURK AT THIS...We all wish you well for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and when you're feeling better you can tell us all about it!! ☼ ☺ ☼

No luck yet, Kim? What a pain!

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 11:25 AM
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 27, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9255475

Take care of yourself Hack!

Great shots everyone!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9255595

It's a real pain. But maybe there is a different calling for me? I still have dmail. So everyone feel free to stay in touch. Hack I hope you'll feel better soon.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9255608

Ooo, I hope you get better soon, Hack.

Lily, what do you mean by this? " The program inhibits me from loading photos to our forums."

I noticed last week, the site here now requires a googleapis script to upload images when it didn't before. I do not understand why, it worked fine before and it sure seems Google is taking over many websites that if you do not allow their scripts, the site won't completely function. I figure if I am not on a Google site, such as Maps or search, why do I need to use Google scripts? Maybe I'm just a little paranoid. :P

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 1:37 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9255619

Chillybean, I don't know it's google or it's DG's own program that causing this headache. I installed google plus, but opted out on their request to store history of my browsing... I opted out, and nothing works since. It's such a headache!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9255714

Kim, this is interesting. If, in fact, you're saying these problems started with Google Plus, it's very possible the program is still on your computer.

My husband and I finally got rid of a program we downloaded months ago, but immediately removed because it was useless and invasive. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, they started regularly downloading updates to their program...without our permission! My husband checked and discovered the program was still on our computer and monitoring our every move! He finally removed it entirely about a week ago.

If you can, you might want to check your programs to see if Google Plus is still listed. No guarantee it has anything to do with this issue, but if it's a program you don't want anyway, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9256836

n.a.n, yes I think we do have more hummers this year. Nothing like 2007 our first year here, but the numbers do seem to be on the increase.

Hack take care and hope the recovery goes well. My DH needs to have the same surgery but has put it off for the time being. Just too much going right now and he is in no hurry!! lol

A shot of some Ruby Throated Hummingbirds and some American Gold Finch enjoying the Echinacea seeds.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56      

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9257192

Thanks, all for your "get-well-soons". This is gonna take a while - typing one finger technique, left hand.

About a month ago, I had my fake leg off, just using long crutches, In the back yard, in my shed, I bent over to pick up a bag of seed and the right crutch fell away, The left crutch drive me sideways, to the right. I tried to hop, but lost my balance. As I fell I reached out with my right hand and grabbed something, but fell anyways, ripping my shoulder as I went down. I managed to crawl to my 4-wheeler and through sheer determination got up on it - knew I was in trouble (in the future my cell phone will be with me). I managed to get back to the garage, where I had traded my wheelchair for the long crutches, and wheelchaired into the house - couldn't lift my right arm at all and it hurt pretty bad. My wife came to me she took over from there. Again, my wife, my rock of support. God sure was good to me when He brought us together. She knows what I'm going thru for she has had rotator cuff surgery herself

The fall happened on a Sunday. Saw the Dr, did MRI and discovered I'd re-torn my rotator cuff. First tear was in 2003 when I got run over by a man who ran a red light - I was on my Harley. About a month later gangrene cost me my right leg. They hacked it off.

Right now, I'm not hurting much at all, unless I try to move my arm in a contray direction - and even then its a slight hurt, because I'm always mindful of what may happen. I wear one of those bulky slings, but find comfort when i slip it off for a short time. In short, I'm healing. Its actually a blessing that I've been thru this before, I know my limitations. I go to my first physical therapy session Thursday - not looking forward to that, but realize how beneficial it is to my full recovery.

Well, that should give you all an idea of what happened.

Again, thanks for your well wishes.

Lurking Hack

Any typing errors, excuse me.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9257202

Hey nanny, I like the GOFINS. How long do you leave the flowers on your plants. Are they "dead" when the birds feed?

I recently got 4 new coneflower plants, planted them and they are small, but living. However, I snipped off the old ugly flowers, leaving just two, which still are pretty. Should I have left the old flowers on?

Hack
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9257324

I've fallen behind once again. Hack, Burn, Nanny and Margaret I really enjoyed all the great pictures.

Hack, you poor thing, I do hope you'll be feeling much better soon and do keep that cell phone close from now on.

Here's a pair of doves that come to our feeders every day.
A northern mockingbird in flight-this one is a juvenile.
A bewick's wren.
And the last, a western tanager that's continuing to stay hidden in the trees.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9257377

I just let the coneflowers go to seed and then the finch will come eat the seeds. With our drought here, nothing is still blooming except for my one phlox and the sedum!! lol
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 28, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9257630

Beautiful shots, nanny and duc.

Hack, may I add my well wishes. What a horrible experience. Mind you, you've obviously got a positive mental attitude, which will always serve you well.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 28, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9257710

Hack that was quite an ordeal that you went through! Happy to hear you found someone so caring to be by your side. Wishing you a speedy recovery from the surgery, so you can go back to the things you love to do.
Cool bird that Noisy miner, Margaret! I love the eyes.
It's so nice to see the birds go for the seeds, like your goldfinch do, Nanny. The Hummers are enjoying the nectar off of mine at the moment.
Thanks, n.a.n. and Duc. Love your birds Duc, Three of those you've posted,I don't get to see here.

Purple Finch

Thumbnail by burn_2007

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9258127

Love the pics, nanny! Our Goldfinches are also spending a lot of time on our Echinacea and Rudbeckia. Sometimes I don't even see them until I realize the stems are shaking around like "crazy". Then I see 4 or 5 of them "yanking" out the seeds...lots of fun to watch!

Hack! Oh gosh, it's hard to even know what to say! You've really been through the "ringer" and, incredibly, through it all, you've kept the most wonderful attitude!! We all know the "happy-go-lucky" Hack that is full of compliments for everyone here and LOVES to take pictures of birds and other wildlife. Has anyone ever told you how amazing you are?? PLEASE take care of yourself, heal fast and shower that wonderful wife of yours with LOVE every single day (and, yes, I agree with duc...don't let your cell phone out of your sight).

Also, I hope you don't mind another opinion on a question you actually asked nanny. My Goldfinches start munching on the coneflower seeds even before they dry out so I don't do a lot of deadheading with those. When I do, I usually stick the stems into something like a suet cage near the feeders. As the season winds down I stop deadheading pretty much everything as I've seen the goldfinches eat seeds from all sorts of plants. You can usually tell by looking at seedheads whether they have "emptied' them of seeds. With many of the ones that still have seeds, I may leave them for most of the winter for extra food.

Wonderful pics, duc! They're all great, but my favorite is the first one of the Doves.

Beautiful Purple Finch, burn!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9258446

All opinions are valued, nuts. I guess I better go out and pick up the coneflowers heads I snipped off and put them in a suet feeder, huh.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words, I guess I fully agree with the old saying that "Whatever doesn't kill you, any makes you stronger" - or something like that.

Ya'll take care,
Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9258510

Hack, don't worry about the coneflowers. The Goldfinches will be fine. You've got yourself to worry about.

You're so right about the "Whatever doesn't kill you..." comment.

My Dad, who lived past 90, had something he liked to say when things were tough ~ "When you've got problems...that's how you know you're not dead."

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9258993

Thanks, smart man, your dad, nuts.

Hack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9259119

We certainly benefit from learning from our elders. Hack you serve as a wonderful example for us all. Bernadette, lovely Purple Finch! I don't get to see those very often here. Duc I love your photos as aways. Nan, please send me some Goldfinches. I've not seen a-one since spring! I've got several dried out Sunflower seedhead awaiting for some action. Margaret, I like your Noisy miner, and the S.C. Cockatoo.

Oh Hack, I failed to have answer your 2 questions earlier. 1. The bird is a Green Heron in which I don't often see compare to the common Great Blue Herons around here. Another is the White Crowned night herons which I occasionally see them in early morning or after sunset. 2. I use the common store bought suet, nuts and seeds "high energy" suets. Nothing special.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9259123

Above are photos of the lovely Swan revisiting our lake this morning.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9259197

You're Welcome, Hack! Yeah, I think he was smart. Funny, though, how our parents seem much smarter to us when we become adults than when we were kids...:-)

Kim, beautiful Swan and beautiful lake! How lucky you are!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9259265

Thanks Lily

yep, nuts, the older we get, the smarter our parents become.

Hack

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 4:47 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9260345

Hey duc, that juvy mocker in flight is a real beaut. Great capture.

burn, I've only ever seen female Purple finches, sure do like your male.

Man, Lily, a swan. Cool. You getting some rain? I get the same kind of "nothing special" suet - stopped buying the "fancy" kind long ago..

Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9260382

I buy whatever suet is on sale for the best price...but not those "flavored" varieties like "orange" as I've heard they usually aren't very popular with the birds. Other than that, it really doesn't matter to the birds since what they like is suet and for the most part, they couldn't care less if it has other stuff in it.

I believe the fancy ones were designed more for the people that buy the suet than the birds. The manufacturers probably sell more that way...just my opinion. When the sale prices are the same, I'll sometimes also buy some of the "Peanut" or "Woodpecker" varieties for the nuts, but I still don't think it matters at all to the birds or that they eat them any faster.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 31, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9261153

I have a few shots to share from the local lake a few days ago. We've had the 4th driest winter on record and the water level in the lake reflects that. First off, a Willie Wagtail, then a Pink-eared Duck showing the pink "ear". Changing of the guard at a Eurasian Coot's nest, a female Australian Wood Duck and a Black Swan being chased by another Black Swan (latter not in the picture).

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 31, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9261154

Black-winged Stilts having fun in the distance, a Blue-billed Duck and two Pacific Black ducklings.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 31, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9261155

Pink-eared Ducks, a pair of Mountain Shelducks (the female has a white eye-ring), the male Shelduck and a Mountain Shelduckling.

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9261238

I was browsing trough some Hungarian articles and found this picture of some storks. The nest finnaly fell down from the weight of it, it was 40 years in the making. 3 chicks died but one survived. This was taken in Kalocsa, Hungary. I have seen the storks in person, on top of the power lines, the people love they storks and build them a nasting platform. The city is close to the Danube river, so the birds have plenty to eat. I remember the storks on top of chimnies, when I was a child, we loved to listen to them and waited to see the babies. The fourty year old nest is on the right. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta         

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9261314

Whoa! I need to return and enjoy each and everyone pic. kiseta and Margaret haved shared. I'm so far behind. Oh, the swan came by and spent some time with us at the pier yesterday evening. It was some wonderful moment we shared.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9261389

Margaret, those are beautiful photos! You see so many varieties in your area. It's a joy to see which new ones you'll post each time. My favorites out of this group are the ones of the Pink-eared Ducks and both of the Duckling pics The Pink-eared have such unusual markings and the ducklings are, of course, adorable!

Kiseta, that's so fascinating about the Storks, though very sad about the baby chicks. Thanks for sharing the info and pics!

Kim, how lucky you are to have visits from the Swan!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9261554

Here are a few I've taken in the last several days.

1) and 2)
These are terrible pics, but they're some of the first I've been able to get of Hummers at my Lobelia Cardinalis.

3) One of our ever-present Black-capped Chickadees

4) A Mourning Dove surrounded by some early-falling Cottonwood leaves

5) Goldfinch females enjoying Coneflower and Black-eyed Susan seeds (you can see how some of them are already starting to get their Winter drab feathers).

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9261559

Ooooops! They didn't load. Here they are.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9261589

Beautiful hummingbirds hovering in midair for nectar, n.a.n. Love all your photos as well. Never have I seen a Stork in person. Hopefully somedays I will. Oh yes, and all those birds that Margaret has shared. Hopefully one of these days I will be blessed to see them in person.

Here goes, these are rare occasions that I get to see the beautiful Swan. First time the bird came to visit us was back on March 25th this spring. Last week I saw it around our lake. Yesterday, It came by our pier and spent some time with us. The Swan behaves as if it has been around people on a regular basic. It wasn't shy at all.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9261696

Thanks, Kim!
Oh, I just Love your Swan! That is really special that it comes to visit like that. I wonder if people in the area were feeding it when it was young? Or maybe it just knows it can trust you...

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9262436

Margaret, all your pics are marvelous. And thanks for the additional tips on ID.

kiseta, nice pics. Do you know if they used the old nest on the new platform. Is the new platform close to where the old nest was.

Hey nuts, that's what I envision here - seeing Goldfinches enjoying my Coneflowers, too. BTW, I put the coneflower deadheads I snipped in a suet cage, now, I'm watching - nothing, yet. And I need to go outside and peek in on the sunflowere seeds I started in my mini-greenhouses.

Lily, that swan is striking!

Bye, Hack

PS, tried the camera, but can't yet comfortably spin the dial on the right side to change f-stops / shutter speeds / ISO's and I'd rather not use the green full-auto setting. But it won;t be long.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9262437

"Lost in thought" (or maybe it was watching the other hummer about to swoop down!).

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9262441

Hack by next Summer your Coneflowers and Black-eyed Susans will be blooming-like-crazy! Glad to hear you're starting to make some good progress with your shoulder. You'll be able to use your camera soon enough!

edited to fix my typo!

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 2:28 PM
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9262495

Hi Hack, the stork pictures are from two different nest. The one on the top of the chimney is the one fell down because of the weight. In the article it said the next day the pair of strorks already started the new nest somewhere else. The Hungarians keep they old chimneys for the storks that come from Africa every Spring and leave in the late Fall. Usualy they nest on the same nest every year. Also in the cities they install the large round platform over the wires for them so they wont be in dager of the electricity. You can google the City of Kalocsa, Hungary you will see the stork nests. Etelka
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9262864

Lily, it so nice, that you get to see the swan so close! They are graceful birds.
Such beautiful shore birds , Margaret. I love the pink ear duck and your Mountain Shelducks and young one are lovely too.
Kiseta, that`s one huge nest! It`s great to know, they will go out of their way to help the Stork.
n.a.n. I was thinking of getting some Lobelia for the Hummers, but it seems to like damp area, and I don`t have a place to grow them without having to water it all the time. They seem to enjoy yours well. I agree with the one Lost in thoughts. ;)
Hack it must be frustrating, not to be able to use your arm. Let it heal well.

I saw the young male hummingbird this afternoon. I`m not sure, if the others have left yet. I was a bit to close for this pic, which was taken on the 28 of Aug. A Sharp-shinned Hawk was after my birds yesterday.
Pine Sisken, Hairy Woodpecker, and Downy woodpecker.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9263583

Wow, kiseta, that's really interesting about the Storks and how the people look after them. Makes me feel good inside!

Love your pics, burn! Your different trees in all the shots also have beautiful bark on them. What kind of trees are they?

You know, we've been on very stingy water restrictions this year and the Lobelia has done well. All I do is make sure to pour a little water around each one every couple of days. I could be wrong, but It doesn't seem like they have very deep roots. Anyway, that has been sufficient and they've thrived.

I guess they can be a little finicky to get started. The first ones I tried died before even blooming. This is my 2nd try and they didn't bloom until the second year. I've also read it's good to let some of the seeds drop to insure more plants cause they're kind of short-lived.

The hummers have really been enjoying them so I think it's worth trying. You can probably grow them from seed, but in your Zone 4 they probably wouldn't bloom the first year...course mine didn't even though I bought plants.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 3, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9263668

Thanks n.a.n. for your comment on the pics. The tree with the Hawk in it is a Norway Maple my neighbor has. the the tree in the last three photos is my large birch tree, which is next to my deck.
It's great to know the lobelia is not as fussy as mentioned. I should look into wintersowing some for next year.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9264092

Thanks, burn - I thought the one looked like a Birch...maybe even a River Birch? We have two River Birch trees about 7 years old and we just love them. I think Birches of all varieties look beautiful even in Winter with no leaves.

It's funny that you should mention Winter Sowing Lobelia. I just came from a thread where one of the ladies was talking about taking the Lobelia seed out of the pods. She said it was interesting that a plant that grows 5-ft tall would have seeds the size of "dust"...very, very tiny. Just in case your interested I'll go find the link and post it.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9264097

Okay, here is that link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277844/#new
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 4, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9264211

Nice shots, lily, nuts and Burn. Hope your recovery is on track, Hack.

A few shots from about 3 weeks ago. First cab off the rank is a Brown Honeyeater. Next, a Singing Honeyeater right way up, then upside down. Lastly, a couple of a New Holland Honeyeater for Mrs Ed.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9264289

love those stripes! thanks much.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9264427

Nice shots, Margaret! I particularly like the upside-down Singing Honeyeater and that New Holland Honeyeater is a real beauty! Thanks for sharing those.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9264436

Love all those shots Margaret!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9264566

110 posts, anyone want to start volume 445, please?

Resin
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9264816

Great idea Resin!
Hey everybody, please join us over at the new thread!! (We're anxiously awaiting your arrival ☺)

Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278690/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America