Daily bird pics #444

PERTH, Australia

We've come from here. Please visit to see the excellent bird captures. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273320/

These shots are from a few days ago. First is an Australian Spotted Crake at a local wetland. Next, a Buff-banded Rail, then a couple of shots of Pink-eared Ducks and last, a distant shot of Red-necked Avocets.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Next is a male Australian (or is it Australasian) Shoveler, then Mountain Shelducks in romantic pursuit, next a couple of gorgeous little Welcome Swallows gathering mud for their nests and last, a Black-necked Stilt.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

First, a mixed bag of Grey Teal, Australian Shovelers and Pink-eared Ducks spooked by a Brown Goshawk (not shown). Then a Purple Swamphen and finally, a Black Swan on its nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wonderful sharp, clear photos Margaret. Beautiful collection of birds.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Margaret, Thanks for the new thread...and what a great start it is...with all those beautiful photos!! So many varieties, some I've never even heard of. Incredible clarity and detail. It's definitely hard to pick a favorite, but I do have a soft spot for Swallows.

Great shots, Hack! The first one is really cool, but I love the variety. I do think your Goldfinches are coming soon...just probably a little later in the season.

By next Spring you should have Black-eyed Susans coming up. The first year they'll be smaller plants, but still very pretty. By the second year they should really spread!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Nice new thread start Margaret. Love the Pink-eared Duck shots. Yep. I'm enjoying the 7D.

Yes, nuts, hopefully I'll have Black-eyed Susans in the future. I also bought five Coneflower plants.

Hack

Marlton, NJ

Great shots Margaret! Love them all but especially the Swallows, Swamphen, Crake and Avocets!
Thanks for starting the new thread!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I have some pics to share.

1- Absolutely my best Ruby-throated Hummer pic ever. I finally got some red.

2- Another of my many Cardinals, a male.

3- Caught this female Downy Wp at the Suet buffet.

4- Caught her partner, too. He would get a bit of Suet, move out onto the limb, eat, and then go back for more. The female just stayed the whole time she fed.

5- Here is a House Sparrow couple eating some seeds.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Love the sea birds! And great photos, Hackster!

(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the new thread, Margaret. Very nice photos. Is the Pink-eared Duck misnamed? I looked, but didn't see any. :) Are your Welcome Swallows the same as our Barn Swallows? I really like that name, because our Barns are always welcome to come here. I was enamored once again by them swooping around me this morning. I really did not want to go back inside.

Hack, great pictures too. I just adore those little hummingbird feet. :)

A couple of you commented about the Mourning Doves in the last thread. I fully agree with you. I want to say more and just deleted a chunk, but I am just happy to know there are others who think dove hunting is senseless.

Onto my photo. Yeah, I took this one- usually it is my son who gets the really good shots. We're signed up for a nature photography class this Saturday and I am not sure he really needs it. This was a real treat because I was standing a short ways from this bird. Not too many brave the feeders when we are outside.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Marlton, NJ

Nice ones Hack and Chilly!

PERTH, Australia

Beautiful birds, everyone.

Chillybean, the Pink-eared Duck has a patch of pink feathers above its ears. I think the pink varies with the season. Here's a link to the bird files. http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/893/

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wonderful job on all your shots, Margaret. It great to be able to see the different birds, from your country. Thanks for the new thread.
Hack congratulation on getting that shot of the Hummer. They are hard to get. I had a little female charging me the other day. it was so funny. Such a small tiny little thing showing so much spunk.:D
Chilly that's one Woodpecker I don't get to see here. I would love to see one.

A little flycatcher stop by today. Don't know which one though.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice shots, Hack, and Congrats on the Ruby-throated male!! He's simply glowing!

Cute pic of the Red-bellied WP, Chillybean!

Great catch of the Flycatcher, burn!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Chilly, that is a wonderful shot of the Red-belly Wp. Hope you and your son get a benefit from the Nature Photography class - if you get any good tid-bits, free to pass on to your DG buddies. I, too, love those dainty little hummer feet.

burn, I've love to phot a flycatcher, sweet.

Bye,
Hack

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Margaret, once again you have shown us some beautiful photos of the waterfowl (and birds) in your area-all I can say is they're all so beautiful. Thank you for the new start.

Hack, great job with your hummer shot-he's a handsome guy. Your birds sure are fed well. Loved all the other photos too.

Chillybean, your wp photo is great. Glad you got to see it up close.

Burn, what a sweet little flycatcher. It sure looks young.

I have a ton of young brewer's blackbirds here that are looking pretty ragged during their moult.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

yep, duc, my birds eat pretty good.

Nice pic, looks more green/brown than black to me - is it the molt and sun reflection?.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

1- Spotted a red-bellied woodpecker feeding.

2- and a Blue Jay.

3- and a Downy woodpecker

4- and a Downy along with a House Sparrow

5- I guess they were thirsty, House Sparrows.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

The red-belly looked over-exposed so I dulled it.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Great shot of the Brewer's Blackbird, duc! Looks like he's trying to figure out why there's so many empty shells in the tray.

Quite a lot of activity at that suet feeder, Hack! I really like all five shots, but I particularly like #2 & #3. Very clear and sharp. That Blue Jay's a beauty.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Hack, the colors on my blackbird are the sum on the iridescent colored feathers. Super photos of your birds! I'd sure love to see one of those red-bellied in person, they sure are pretty.

Here's my only female juv. black-headed grosbeak.
This female brewer's blackbird has a deformed bill but I think it adds to her charm. She's eating without any problems.
The juv scrub jays are becoming more aggressive at the feeder box.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

duc, that black-headed grosbeak is magnificent. Great detail!

I have some to share.

1- snapped a pic of a juvy Robin, it looks a little confused

2- been seeing this Mockingbird in the grass a lot.

3- one of my ever-present J-birds

4- I really liked the capture of this male Downy Woodpecker, handsome little bird.

5- I finally hung me a nester and have only seen one bird visit it, a chickadee. I just stuffed the nesting material into an old suet feeder. I drilled holes and inserted dowel rods to serve as perches. The dee landed on one of my home-made perches. I have another of this kind of suet feeder and will make me a second nester later, for the spring.

Bye, Hack

(Zone 5a)

Great shots Hack and Duc.

Hack, I put up a hanging suet feeder with the fluff, but no takers yet. But a Goldfinch was seen at the cage full of hair last week.

Duc, Glad your Blackbird seems to be doing ok.

I've got a bird of "my own" I am concerned about. Can anyone tell me if the upper bill of this Cardinal will grow back? It struggled with the black oil sunflower seeds, so mostly eats the peanuts we have. Today I bought a bag of "mess free" sunflower seeds to put out. This picture was taken eight days ago, and it was still seen today. I think it's an adult female.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful shots, Margaret. Do any of these birds migrate ?

Hack, you sure are busy. I haven't put any birdseed out during the summer months. If I did, the Blackbirds and Starlings would clean it up in no time.

Nice photos duc. I like the Black-headed Grosbeaks.

Chillybean, your best bet is probably to keep feeding it whatever it is eating. There is a chance that her beak might grow but could still be deformed.

Here is a series of recent photos that I took of the 'Great Egret'.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum

Lots of Great Blue Herons around ........

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum

Hundreds of American Avocets at Bombay Hook. They have lost most of their breeding season coloration.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum

One more .... a Belted Kingfisher.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Margaret, how did you get those Red-necked Avocets to stand in a line like that? lol Must have been some photoshopping going on there. ;)

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A wonderful series of shots of the shore birds, Linth. The Egret is so beautiful!
Chilly, it's so sad, to see so much deformities in birds. I have seen quite a bit here too. Some have been coming back for the pass few years. Hopefully yours will too, especially if they have someone as considerate, as you are.
Really nice shot of the young Robin, Hack.
Duc does the Grosbeak migrate in your area?

I had the Black-throated Green Warbler at the pond the other day. A lifer for me.
The Pine Sisken iare still numerous in the yard.
These little beauty will be leaving for the South soon. I have three chasing each other.
And Purple Finch.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Chilly, I once had a Card that had a bad beak, I saw it at my feeders for a long time. I only saw it one season, though. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Super pics linth, Those egret pics are fantastici! is Bombay Hook some kind of wet-lands? Did all your pics come from there?

burn, congrats of the lifer, great snap of it too.

Hack

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, you guys have been busy!

Duc, love the pics! The Black-headed Grosbeak juvie is stunning! That little Brewer's BB is really cute. I sure hope that it continues to eat okay. Food is plentiful right now so it should make it easier to get lots of practice with that beak. Those juvie Scrub Jays are funny, but so adorable.

Hack, you've been getting lots of great shots lately! Nice one of the juvie Robin. The Downy WP are really active little birds. They're at our suet feeders constantly and also love the mesh sunflower seed feeders. You did a nice job on your nester. Hope you start seeing more birds finding it soon. I have to keep ours filled right now cause the Goldfinches are constantly grabbing the fluff. I also find pieces of it around the yard that they dropped when they grabbed too much.

Chilly, I agree with linth. If she's doing okay with the unshelled foods and you don't mind supplying them, she might be alright. I guess only time will tell, but it's so hard to watch a bird that's struggling...just like the ones you know are sick and will eventually die. I try to take comfort knowing I've given them an environment with plenty of food and water to help them feel secure for however long they survive.

Linth, really incredible shots of the Great Egrets, GB Herons and Avocets...particularly the in-flight ones!! That's a handsome looking Belted Kingfisher, too!

Burn, Big Congrats on the Lifer!! The Pine Siskin is really sweet! When do you usually see your last Hummers? We, also, have lots of chasing going on right now. I think some of them are juvies. That Purple Finch is a Beauty!

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 6:24 PM

Hack, Bombay Hook is a National Wildlife Refuge. It comprises about 16,000 acres, mostly salt marsh but some fresh water. It's a perfect location for wildlife photographers. It has a number of walking trails (for the younger visitors) and a 12.5 mile round trip auto roadway. Often water on both sides. When the insects get bad, photographers can just shoot from the car window. You can stop just about anyplace, get out, set up your tripod and wait for some action. It's along the Atlantic Flyway which helps attract migratory waterfowl and shorebirds. It's about a 1 3/4 hour drive for me. On Friday, my wife and I left home about 5:30 a.m. (I like to leave earlier, but ...) and arrived about 7:30 a.m. The tide was out. I'm still trying to determine what is the best time, i.e. high tide, or low tide. All of the photos were taken at Bombay Hook.

Here are a few more. 2 Great Egrets, Great Blue Heron, Glossy Ibis and an Osprey. Lots of shorebirds there but they give me a lot of difficulty in identification.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info linth, I'll have to Goggle Map it. Sure looks like a remakable place.

1,- My Blue Jays were back. It was overcast today. But I grabbed the 7D anyway.

2,- I wonder what they were looking at.

3. & 4.- Several Chipping Sparrows had a successful day offoraging in my yard. I had just cut the grass and the grubs were abundant.

5. I had never used a thing called "AI Focus", didn't even know what it was. But I read that in this mode, if you get subject in focus and the subject moves, then the camera will adjust focus itself to keep the subject in focus. I had this chipper in focus sitting in the grass and it took off, I pressed the shutter all the way and this is what I got. Looks like it worked. I photoshopped it, but in the original, the bird was high and to the left in the pic - I know it was not under the black sqaure in the viewfinder. Got to play around with this a bit more - and another mode called "AI Servo".

Bye, Hack

(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for your comments about our Cardinal. She was here yesterday at the hopper where I placed some of the special seed. Looking through the binoculars, the upper bill is a little brighter than the photo and if we (my husband looked too) are not seeing things, the bill looks a tad longer.

Hack, those are interesting pods in #2. Do the birds eat them? Your camera has some fun settings, I like your winged Chipping. Ours will probably be leaving soon, I noticed one that looked to be transitioning out of breeding plumage.

Linth, beautiful Osprey. My best shot had it sitting on its eggs, so I just got the head. Beautiful Kingfisher. We had one near here earlier until the creek started drying up.

Burn, congrats on your lifers- you need to post your Tennessee Warbler over here. :) That was a life bird for us this spring.

I've named this Red-tailed Hawk juvenile Baby. S/he cries a lot like one. We had stopped by the creek on our way home as is our habit now and this was perched on the pole. I didn't want to scare it off, but we needed to get home! As my husband inched forward, off it flew bawling as it went. I happened to be ready and got these photos.

Baby has been at our place, but we usually do not know it until we walk out the door, thus startling him/her and there it goes cryin' again.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

We have had so many finch families. The young males are beginning to show their color now.

Thumbnail by JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

The first birds at our new birdbath my husband made. Finches again, of course.

Thumbnail by JulieQ
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Chilly, those pods are from a Wisteria vine that I poisoned. It was taking over my Red-tips. I've never seen any bird eat any of them, though. The Wisteria and I have an on-going battle. I saw a hawk yesterday as I was leaving the house. I rushed back in to get my camera and it vanished, dog-gone-it. I'm glad you got your juvy hawk.

Julie, I have lots of HOFINs too. Nice bird bath your hubby made. What did he use on top for the bath water container? I've been looking around for a bird bath top that I can sit flat on the the ground, in the shade of my red tip bushes - haven't come across anything yet.

Bye, Hack

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 5:35 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank Margaret for the new thread. I've been away for so long from this thread I couldn't possibly catch on to commend to everyone. May I say thanks for everyone sharing. Some time last week I saw a Green Heron, and one landed close to where I was standing, the bird startled to find me once it landed. But I was at awe how beautiful, and colorful it was. This pix is bit further away.

Yesterday I discovered the lone Swan revisited our lake. But this time it was quite a distance away too, so I couldn't get a good pix. Oh well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey, Lily, what kind of bird is #1?

I have some pix to share from the weekend.

1 and 2. It have a regular supply of Downy Woodpeckers, here's a female and a male.

3. The Brown Thrasher was back. Its eyes always draw my attention. Reminds me of a hawk.

4. A tufted titmouse has found my new feeder.

5. A Brown-headed Nuthatch is enjoying some shelled peanuts.

Bye, Hack

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I got too far behind. Linth, so glad to see you and your great photos back again. Burn, congratulations on another lifer! Chilly, I hope your little bird will survive too. Great photos everyone!

Here's a mourning dove, feeding time with the house finches, a lesser goldfinch, a red-tailed hawk and a young mockingbird.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.