Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this weed growing in my lawn?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9242160

I have been hand pulling these weeds all summer, but with the large amount of rain we have recently received they have taken over a few large areas of the lawn faster than I can pull them. Any one know what it is? It looks like round seeds on the back sides of the leaf stems.
Thanks
Seedfork

Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork
Click an image for an enlarged view.

VineWorld

VineWorld
Syracuse, UT
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9242192

It's chamberbitter, Phyllanthus urinaria, as you can see, it can go to seed after just a few days of growth! I had them just 3 inches tall and had almost a dozen seeds on it!

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 9:50 AM
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9242195

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one fighting these little devils! They are a nightmare! If either of you find a solution to this I'd love to hear it. LOL! In the meantime I guess I'll be pulling like crazy!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9242198

join the club!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9242204

Unfortunately, when you pull these guys out, a seed or two always manages to fall off. It is a bit time consuming, but I have discovered if you cut the stem and dispose of the plant, then you can safely remove the roots. It is common practice to "shake" the soil from the roots when weeding and with this plant, it almost guarantees you will dump seeds back into the bed. The caveat is, that you have to remove the roots or the little beggars will resprout.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9242213

VineWorld, up in Montgomery Al. thank you so very much for that information. I have been wondering what this thing was for years. Now that I know what it is, it looks like Weed B Gon may be my best shot at controlling it.
Thanks again,
Seedfork
Just found this link: It may help!
http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/chamberbitter-mimosa-weed/

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 10:40 AM

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 10:43 AM

VineWorld

VineWorld
Syracuse, UT
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9242227

Your welcome, and best of luck!
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9242461

On a prevous thread I mentioned using a herbicide and I was crucified for using poisons and not being all natural. At my age (70) I will be all natural soon enough especially in this heat. Anyway most herbicides are of low toxucity to humans and animals,as a matter of fact , less toxic than ordinary table salt. Glyphosate is an excellent weed killer but it is not selective except for resistant strains. 2-4-D is good for broadleaf plants but may take several applications.
I prefer physical weed removal too but sometimes drastic measures are required.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9242627

shorthog, we do what we gotta do. i try to stay organic and natural but sometimes, as you say, drastic measures are required. i, too, like the physical removal. there is something very satisfying about having that plant with dangling roots in your hot little hands.

LOVE your sense of humor!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America