-
AuthorContent
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9242561

Can anyone please tell me what this Cacti is? Have had this one for several years and suddenly it had 3 babies. Two of the babies have grown fast and the third is still a tiny button. The thorns hurt and leave a sore place for days. Cannot handle plant now because it is so long. Last time I re potted it, it fell across my shoulder and boy did it hurt.
I have just found The Cacti and Succulent Forum and I'm loving it.
Faye

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu
Click an image for an enlarged view.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9242883

Welcome! Faye. I don't know what you have there, but it's a nice looking plant. And I love the lizards.
Gary

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 15, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9242906

I don't know either but it looks like it's doing very well. If the plant ever gets truly out of control size-wise, you can always cut a piece off the end and use that to start a new plant. Just re-root it and presto, dangerous plant becomes manageable again (for a while).

The lizards are cool. They look totally at home.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9242924

I have this Euphorbia that is getting too big to handle. It will not fit inside this year. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I have a lizard in the bottom of it. It looks so real that it has scared me a couple of times. I'll take a picture later.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9243202

It's a Ceroid, possibly a Armatocereus, Cereus, Pterocereus,
I'm looking through these albums of columnar cacti at this link:
http://community.webshots.com/user/brcacti
Pay close attention to the spine arrangement and lengths. Also, the number and depth of the ribs when trying to find yours.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9243253

Thank you all so much, and thank you Xenomorf for the link. I will certainly check it out.
Faye

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9243398

I looked through all the Ceroids and the only one with a very long central spine that points out or down is Cereus argentinensis
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1427234689075508785oUezcA

There are no photos of this in the PlantFiles, you might want to consider add a few. At this link:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/103486/
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9243919

Xenomorf I compared the second pic to the cacti in this link, http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/142723468907550878...and to me that is the best match. Thank you so much.

How about these? (right now these, pic 1 & 2 are on the patio.) I probably have 50 different and much loved plants in the sun room. Not sure how to mix soil for them. Love all I see, and also have about 100 named Semps. outside. LOL, that's how I got inside plants, didn't know the difference when I bought my 1st dozen.
Dumb as dirt about these things but love them anyway.
Faye

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9244053

Your link didn't work.
What was the name of the one you said it matches to?
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9244138

Sorry, I thought I had copied the link you gave me. I think it looks like Cereus argentinensis.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 17, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9244726

Nice plants. They look very well cared for.

Regarding care... there's a living rock at the front left in the first picture. That one may not be compatible with the others in the container. I can't tell you the details because I don't grow those plants, but they are supposed to be a little picky about when they get water (or not). Maybe someone can offer an ID, that would help. The rest of the plants look like a good mix for a community pot. The ones that offset or branch (like the Mammillaria at front right in first picture) will eventually fill the pot to overflowing if they continue to grow happily, so you know. But that will sort itself out over time, as community pots usually do. That's part of the fun of setting one up. You never know where it's going to go.

As for the soil mix, everyone has their own preferences. So you'll have to find yours by experimenting. These days I use regular cactus mix straight out of the bag or (more often) with some pumice mixed in, up to about 50% of the total for certain plants with special needs. You can use regular potting soil if that's all you can find. Just cut it with more rock. Suitable substitutes for pumice include perlite and lava rock (scoria). Basically a light rock that holds air. Whatever you have available locally. The rock in that second picture looks about right (though maybe a little big for the size of the plants).

I like to sprinkle a thin layer of light rock on top of the soil (=top dressing) when plants are first installed in a pot. That seems to help with water retention, allowing me to water less often. It also buffers the soil against the harsh effects of the sun. And it's a way you can dress up a plant in its container.

Be aware that all things equal, shallow containers dry out faster than deep ones, small pots dry out faster than big ones, and unglazed clay pots dry out faster than other kinds. You can use those features to your advantage. For example, to avoid problems with rot-prone plants. But otherwise some types of pots tend to require more frequent attention and watering. This also tends to work itself out over time.

Hope that helps.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 11:12 AM

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9245013

The plant just to the right of the living rock looks like my Gasteria liliputana.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 6:47 PM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9245182

WOW! Thank you Baja for all the great info. gosh I do appreciate it and will print it to keep it handy.
I think I understand about the living rock because there were 3 at the beginning. I think two of them rotted..Oh goodness, I'll move the last one in the morning. Thanks big bunches.
Faye

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America