Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daylilies: August to Winter Blooms

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 150, Views: 989
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9243193

Blooming right now. Feel free to add yours.
Look Here Mary
Unidentified Flying Object - rebloom
Legend Of The Fall - WOW! rebloom
Heavenly Angel Ice - rebloom

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9243194

On And On - everbloomer
Big Snowbird
Stella's Sparky - rebloom
Classic Rose - new plant - rebloom

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9243196

Bridgeton Ivy League
Bryan Cook Memorial - LFO
Apricot Sparkles - everbloomer
Boundless Beauty - rebloom

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9243200

Another shot of Heavenly Angel Ice
Crimson Pirate - winding down from bud building
Rosy Returns - everbloomer
Black Eyed Stella - rebloom

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9243203

Star Lane - winding down
Endless Heart - rebloom
Lime Frost - rebloom
Genesta

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9243207

Ah Youth - new plant
August Flame
Smoky Mountain Autumn
Nature Boy - Middle pic - everbloomer

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9243211

Joan Senior - winding down
Paper Butterfly - rebloom

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9243223

Wow Mike, you have a lot of nice rebloom!!! Wish I got some here.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9246184

Nice, Mike! They're all looking good.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9247666

Cindy and Karen, they have been pampered here. Found one rebloom scape on Yellow Lollipop this morning. Buddy Hudson which was planted in spring of 2011 is currently sending up it's first scape for a "mid" season bloomer. Hope it is the right plant. Time will tell.
Heavenly Angel Ice - dbl
Rosy Returns - clump
Stella's Sparky - triplets
Black Eyed Stella - triplets

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9247780

My Rosy Returns will be blooming again soon. Found about 3 more scapes growing.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9248334

Mike, maybe Buddy Hudson bloomed once before you got it, and now it's reblooming for you. Did you get it from somewhere down south where their midseason is much earlier than ours?

I really like that Heavenly Angel Ice and have been wanting to add it to my collection.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9248503

Karen I got B/H August 2011 from Flowersrthebest in Dexter, ME. I must say that all the other plants I got from her that bloomed, bloomed true to name.
Hearts And flowers
Zuni Thunderbird
America The Beautiful
Tranquil Waters
Waiting on B/H, Dil-Robin Nichols and Mal.
ATB

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9248510

I did choose (from a long list) Annabelle's Blush as a gift plant from her. Sweet lady to work with.
A/B

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9249569

Oh, those are pretty Mike! You got some good ones. I'm especially fond of that ZUNI THUNDERBIRD.

I was looking through the listings of Margo Reed and Jim Murphy tonight ( http://www.woodhengegardens.com ). I got several plants from them earlier in the season, and they're all doing well. I want more late blooming one, and tall, too. I have picked out about $400 worth so far. LOL! Cannot spend that much, so will be paring down the list before ordering. The ones I got before are as follows:

CANDY CANE DREAMS
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
RUNNING LATE
CHERRY CREAM PIE
LUNA
ROCKET SCIENCE
RED HILL
THIRD WITCH
LUNA (bonus)

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9249707

Karen, I got two from your list this spring. Red Hill and Luna. Red Hill put out a couple blooms about a month ago. One was while it was still in water. Got mine on the LA. Mike

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9251023

Found three more reblooming scape on, Joan Senior, Freewheelin and Macbeth. It is getting hot again. Surely hope plants will respond and rebloom some more.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9251080

Boy Mike, you must be doing something right because I have never had Free Wheelin rebloom for me.
rherma10
Riverview, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9251352

Is there something special you need to do to get reblooms, such as cutting back the foilage? I have Paper Butterfly, as Mike does, and would love to see it rebloom.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9251849

I think giving them more water can help them rebloom, and maybe fertilizer. Having a longer bloom season helps, too. Down south they get a lot more. I can't be watering all the ones I have, nor do I have the time or money to fertilize that many. I must have good, fertile soil, though, as people are always amazed at how well my daylilies bloom, even during long, hot, dry spells. I already have too much to water as it is with all the potted ones I have for sale, plus my planters of annuals. Cannot water all the gardens I have, not with a well, as I can't take the chance of the well going dry when water is in short supply. I remember it happening a long time ago when I was a kid. Sure don't want to go through that again.

I have to get out there this weekend and see if I have any rebloom scapes coming up. I usually get some, but not many.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9252485

Cindy, I just got Freewheelin this spring from Mark S. at Abundantdaylilies on the LA. The plant was divided in two and both sections bloomed earlier.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9252741

Hey everyone...we were looking for late bloomers right?

Here is a website that has late and very late daylilies and you can see the flower too.

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/seaslate.html#very late

Linda

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9254297

Linda, I too have visited that site in the past. The Sleuth Detective was in the garden the last few day (what a Surprise). The surprise is that he was in the garden. Here is what he found. Rebloom scape on Black Fathom Depths. Prolif on Entrapment with one pod on it. First picture
Heavenly Angel Ice
Absolute Zero
Legend Of The Fall - LFO on rebloom scape
Big Snowbird - still polying on rebloom scape

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9254313

Stella D'Oro
Endless Heart
Autumn King
Boundless Beauty
Rosy Returns

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9254324

Apricot Sparkles
Heavenly Angel Ice - still doing her thing.
Smoky Mountain Autumn
Happy Returns
Prairie Wildfire - LFO. Came a long way.http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9133126

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9254328

Mike you are lucky...or just a better gardener than me. I don't have ANY reblooms and all of mine are done for the season I believe, unless something magical happens.

I blame it on the weather and not enough water. Next year will be different...I promise!

Linda

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9254332

August Flame
Genesta
Classic Rose - LFO on rebloom scape. New plant this spring.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB      

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9254339

Linda, it's my turn to be lucky. The drought was indeed a big factor. Bear in mind that I am continually trying to acquire known consistent rebloomers and so call everbloomers. On and On, Rosy Returns, Apricot Sparkles and Going Bananas are doing great this year. I expect better performance from some of this season's new plants.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9254346

I shouldn't leave out Big Snowbird and Boundless Beauty. I started with two single fans of BB which I planted separate spring of 2011. Both has increased and put out one rebloom scape each. The plan is to relocate one of the plants this fall to a preffered location.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9261989

Give Me Eight - LFO
Heavenly Angel Ice - this one is sending up another rebloom scape.
Boundless Beauty
On And On
Buttered Popcorn - 2nd and 3rd flower open on a second small division for the first time. The bigger one bloomed out already. I thought I had to wait until next year for this one to bloom.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9261997

UFO
Big Snowbird - poly to boot lower right.
Brugs on one plant
Stella's Sparky
Absolute Zero

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9262069

Nice ones Mike!!!! I just got Heavenly Angel Ice this spring. No blooms this year but I am looking forward to next year for sure.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9262509

Cindy I know you had it before and it didnt survive. Hope you have better luck this time.
I got a small single fan of Lavender Blue Baby last summer. I didn't expect any blooms this season. It now has one scape and one additional fan. Stella's Sparky have an instant rebloom on top of the rebloom scape on the same fan. Three quarters of an inch of rain yesterday surely wont hurt either. grin!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9262658

Great, Mike! Can't believe you still have stuff blooming, but then you're a zone colder than I am, so your season would start and end later than mine. The only ones I have blooming now are AUTUMN MINARET, AUTUMN KING and CHALLENGER. Oh, and I have a rebloom scape with several buds on SUNDAYS WITH VERNON.

I have been wanting that HEAVENLY ANGEL ICE for awhile now. Really nice.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9262726

I hope so too Mike. It is looking like it has settled in nicely though.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9263123

Good luck, Cindy.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9263211

Thanks Karen!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9264799

Buddy Hudson, finally bloomed. Not bad for a midseason plant.
Yellow Lolllipop - rebloom ffo
Boundless Beauty - LFO on this plant
BB, a few more left on this one
Smoky Mountain Autumn

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9264809

Autumn King, my top bud count of this season or ever. Ninenty One. Second year plant only sent up one scape. One prolif and twelve pods.
Look Here Mary, rebloom flowers are much bigger than the initial ones.
These prolifs are going in the ground.
Stella's Sparky, instant rebloom on top of the rebloom. Not bad for a second year plant. Just added Stella's Pink Pretty, which is coming this weekend. Full sib to Stella's Ruffled Fingers and Stella's Sparky.
Blackeyed Stella

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9264814

Apricot Sparkles - none stop

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9266442

Nice, Mike! Great looking prolifs. Good on that STELLA'S SPARKY. Do you have STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS? Mine put out instant rebloom scapes on all the fans that had initial bloom scapes. Just one set of rebloom scapes, but that was great. It's the only one I have that reblooms like that. I'm slowly trying to add more that do that here in the north.

Your Autumn King is doing so much better than mine. I'm going to have to move mine and see if it does better in a different location. Do you have AUTUMN MINARETt? That one is such a prolific bloomer for me, and I think it's still going out there. Another great late one is GOOD-BYE COLUMBUS. It's registered as a ML, but mine blooms well into the late season. That one's still going, too. AUTUMN MINARET is one of its parents, which, btw, is also registered as a ML, but really extends the blooming season. AM is fertile, but GC is not. Too bad.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9266540

Karen, I don't have AM. I got SRF this spring. Don't expect much from SRF this season. Hope she increase and bloom her tail off next season. BFG!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9267594

Freewheelin - rebloom from one fan
Lime Frost
On And On
Genesta
Rosy returns

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9267767

My Happy Returns and Rosy Returns are on rebloom.

You have some nice rebloom Mike.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9268465

Thanks Cindy. Mal is finally sending up a scape. My other clump of Blackeyed Stella is sending one up. Two of my four Endless Heart is sending up a scape.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9271502

Mike, SRF is a heavy increaser for me, so it should do well for you next year. You'll love it!

That GENESTA has very similar looks to SRF, and I'm wondering if that one is in its background. I like that one, and I see it's a late one. Need more lates. I know, I keep saying that.

The only rebloom scape I have found out there now is on SUNDAYS WITH VERNON. It was blooming today. What a gorgeous thing, especially when very little else is in bloom.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9273777

A few more to share.
On And On - despite dividing and moving last fall this one just keep chugging along.
Boundless Beauty - LFO on this one barring another rebloom!
Same plant a couple days earlier. I like this angle looking thru Autumn King scape.
Yellow Lollipop
Buttered Popcorn

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9273782

Joan Senior
Buddy Hudson meet Blackeyed Stella
Macbeth - rebloom
Freewheelin
Brug - what can I say!!!

gen2026
Camden, AR

September 13, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9273932

Wow - all these blooms are so beautiful! I TRIED really hard to pick out some rebloomers when I was adding DLs back earlier in the year. I sure hope once they get established that they rebloom. I love some of those that you refer to as everbloomers. I don't believe I have ever seen that term before ... need to start watching for them as well.

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9274327

Genna, when it comes to that term, dont believe the hype. I got some new ones this year so I have to give them a chance to settle in. My top performer in terms of days is On And ON, Apricot Sparkles, Rosy Returns and Blackeyed Stella. My Going Bananas was moved last fall but still did ok. Just got Stella Ruffled Fingers as a bonus along with Raspberry Delight Cupcake with my Stella's Pink Pretty purchase. Let's see what happen in the next couple years.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 14, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9274863

I was admiring ya'lls Rosy Returns yesterday when I was catching up on the thread, and then a few minutes later a friend posted that she had extras if any of us were interested to bring to a Roundup we are having next weekend. I JUMPED on it! :) So, hopefully I will have it next year to bloom and bloom for me...we will see. I did order the Blackeyed Stella this summer, but it hasn't bloomed. Didn't get planted until late june so I didn't really expect it to. I have had a few of the new ones bloom, but i didn't really expect it.

By the way, I have one or two DLs that I think are finally large enough to share that I am going to try to dig a few fans to take to the RU. Can ya'll tell me suggestions on how to do this? Do you dig up the entire plant and divide it? or do you just dig into the side of it or what? I have heard of people getting crown rot from injuring the crown and I am not sure what that means and how to avoid it. Would sure appreciate some tips if you have any. Wish I had a bunch more that I could share and maybe I could work out some swaps with ya'll. But mine really aren't big enough to do much yet. Probably wouldn't be worth the postage it would take for a swap... :( Maybe someday they will increase and I can do some swapping...

Thanks so much for all the inspiration from the beautiful pics, the enabling on the addiction, and the great advice! :-)

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9275949

Genna it would be easier to dig up the whole clump to divide.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 15, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9275992

Thanks!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9276209

I really like FREEWHEELIN.

I love the brug!!!! How do you get so many blooms on it? I had one with 6 blooms on it this year, and was thrilled with it. My other one is budding now, finally. I hope it will bloom before frost. I was starting to wonder if it was even going to bloom at all this year.

Genna, what I do when I'm dividing daylilies to trade or sell, I dig into the side of the clump and pull as many fans out as I need. If I have too much trouble getting the fans out, then I take a sharp knife and cut them away from the clump, taking care to try not to damage the crown. It's a lot less stress on the clump that's being divided.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 15, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9276217

I don't mean to be ignorant... but I dug these clumps completely up today as suggested by Mike, but I really don't understand what is considered the crown... or does each fan have a crown?? sorry... just trying to clarify and make sure I understand!

Edited to ask: While I am asking questions... can you tell me if you divide your DLs that have gone dormant?? I have one that bloomed like crazy last year, and i only got a few blooms this year so I decided it must be too crowded, but when I went to divide it almost all the foliage was gone. I divided it anyway, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to have done so... :(

Thanks!!

This message was edited Sep 15, 2012 7:08 PM

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9276280

Genna, you don't learn if you don't ask questions, so please don't hesitate. Each fan has a crown. It's where the roots go down out of and wear the foliage grows up out of.

That's fine to divide it now. It's not going into full winter dormancy yet. At the end of the summer I've noticed that old foliage dies back and new foliage comes up. If the old foliage pulls off easily, then I pull it off just to tidy up the beds. If it doesn't come off easily I just take scissors and cut the foliage back. I leave about maybe 8"-10" of foliage on the plants. They always grow more, and the gardens look nice and neat.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 15, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9276303

Thanks so much!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9276327

You're very welcome!

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9276678

Karen that BRUG was given to me several years ago by a friend of a friend that was moving out of state. I also got many Plumeria. I gave away all but four. I expect them to bloom next year. Found a couple more rebloom scapes. Inimitable (pictured) and Francis Of Assissi. Lavender Blue Baby - ffo. Took thispic early in the morning before work. Stella's Sparky with two faciated scapes. Endless Heart.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9276690

Black Fathom Depths - rebloom, new plant.
The other Brug
Peacock Orchid
Buddy Hudson
Blackeyed Stella

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9276984

I've had my 2 brugs for about 2 1/2 years now. I got them from a friend who could no longer keep them. She had originally given me 4. I gave one to a friend, and lost one this year. A pink one bloomed last year and a golden yellow one bloomed this year. The pink one has buds now. Hoping to see it bloom before frost.

Karen

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9277371

So, so nice to see these still blooming. I am enjoying each flower, daylily or not.

I went out a few days ago and found Lady Elizabeth sending up a new scape.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9277550

Happy for you Kwanjin.
Karen good luck on the Brugs blooming. I think that the key is a headstart indoors. Don't forget to feed.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9277814

Yes, I've been feeding my brugs. One did get a head start indoors. The other one was kept in a dormant state for the winter in my cellar. I guess that's why it's still late. Brought it out after the danger of frost was past. The one that bloomed was the one that had been in my enclosed porch all winter. It had a bad case of spider mites early on in the season, but I got rid of them with horticultural oil.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9278666

Heavenly Angel Ice - rebloom second scape
Lavender Blue Baby
On And ON
Rosy Return - doing a little doubling
Joan Senior - showing her other side

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9278678

Dublin Elaine - ffo on this small division. Late evening sun.
Look Here Mary
Freewheelin
French Lingerie
Dahlia

gen2026
Camden, AR

September 18, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9278692

Can't believe you still have so many beautiful blooms! Amazing!

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9279203

I can't either.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9279446

Me neither.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9279589

Me neither! LOL!
Took this with my cell phone this morning 9-18. One lonely bloom on a short scape on Bridgeton Elegance. Dabbed some pollen on it from Buddy Hudson that was nearby.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9279672

You surely are doing something right Mike to still be having blooms!!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9280793

Cindy, when it comes to gardening I am like a drug addict, a gambler, etc. Can't get enough! I probably would spend all day in the garden if I could. Expand more if I could get away with it. LOL!

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9280825

I know, I hear ya. Used to be that way for me too but age is creeping up on me and my back doesn't allow me to do as much as I used to.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9281546

Mike, join the club! I think we're all like that pretty much. I would spend most of my time in the gardens, too.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 21, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9281900

I can totally relate to the back not liking me working in the garden!! I spent weekend before last working trying to pull weeds and grass out of a bed again ... spent about 6 hrs out there and it took three trips to the chiropractor to get me to stop hurting :( ... I did work some the following weekend but didn't push it as hard and did a lot better! If I didn't work full time I might get a lot more weeding done, but then I couldn't afford any plants or fertilizer.. :-)

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9281995

Genna, do you kneel down when you weed or bend over? I always bend over. Causes too much back and knee pain for me to kneel, espeically to my upper back. Of course, if I haven't been weeding in a long time, then the backs of my legs are killing me for a couple of days from streching out those muscles there.

I have the same problem as you. I work full time, actually over 60 hrs a week, and don't have enough time to keep my gardens looking great. But then if I didn't I wouldn't have money for plants, etc., either. Oh well, what do you do?

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 21, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9282056

I kneel sometimes and just bend sometimes. I was using a tine type 'hoe' for lack of knowing what it is actually called... maybe a potato hoe?, anyway, and was digging with it and pulling by hand. I made my legs sore for sure, but I pulled so much that I made all the way across my shoulders really stiff and sore. Couldn't get the tension to slack up before I went to bed so went to bed all tight and stiff - then work up with my neck pulled out of place from the tension! It is finally some better now!

So, last weekend, I tried to be a little more conscious of the technique I was using and tried to keep the muscles stretched and loosened as much as possible. Of course, if I did that every day I would be in a lot better shape...

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9282806

I sometimes get a condition from pulling weeds that causes inflamation of the cartilage around the breastbone. It has a name but I know I probably would misspell it. It is very painful and it hurts like heck to take a deep breath. The only cure is ibuprofen and ice packs. Takes a couple of days to feel better. My lower back gives me all kinds of trouble. I can't work in the garden more than an hour at a time so I work in shifts. Most of the time I will only work at pulling weeds 2 to 3 times a week. It really needs to be done more often but my back won't allow me to.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9283229

Hemlady, is it Costochondritis or Tietze's syndrome? Both can be extremely painful.

Still waiting on Lady Elizabeth to bloom again. In the meantime, am enjoying all the other pictures.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9283351

Yes, the first one you mentioned. It is very painful and I seem to be prone to it since I had radiation for breast cancer back in 2005. So, I have to do a little bit of weeding at a time or it flares up.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9283363

I hate when our favorite pastimes get painful.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9283467

Kwanjin, I hate that, too. If we were younger we would not be having all these problems.

Genna, I have those problems with my neck, too, when I've done a lot of weed pulling/bending over. And I wake up all stiff there in the morning, like you. I have an appointment to see a chiro on Monday. Maybe they can help. I do have a lot of neck and shoulder problems.

I have not heard of Costochondritis. Sounds like something I don't want.

I have Meralgia paresthetica, a.k.a. tingling leg syndrome. It's from being so overweight and all the bending over I do in the garden. There's a nerve that goes through the hip, and when you really overweight like I am, and you bend over a lot, the nerve gets pinched and damaged. It can cause the outer side of your thigh to go numb, and can also have a burning pain. It acts up when I stand in place for more than 15 minutes at a time, like browsing in a store, etc. Also bothersome sometimes when I'm walking, like with the burning pain. In the winter it doesn't affect me much, cause I'm not doing all that bending down. A lot of young women who wear jeans that are too tight can get that condition, and it can be caused by some trauma to the area or diabetes as well. If I lost the weight I would probably have a lot fewer problems with it.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9283683

Oooh, that doesn't sound good Karen. I am overweight too and I sure would like to loose some weight but the older you get the harder it is to come off. I am trying that new weight loss program called Sensa. So far I don't think I have lost anything but it's only been about 3 weeks on it.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 23, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9284025

Well, ya'll can label me officially crazy i guess... I have multiple beds that are overrun with bermuda and need to be gutted and redone and what do i do??? Go to a local roundup/plant swap get together and come home with boxes of more plants! I was so excited about all the things I got - then came home and looked at my beds and KNOW that I am crazy for bringing anything else home! :( I got about 10 DLs, some salvias, some elephant ears, penstemoms, and several other nice starts of things... but what on earth was I thinking????

I have had two prior surgeries on my low back - ruptured disk - surgery in the same location both times. It still gives me fits some days, but I know that my neck and shoulder problems as well as probably the back stems from a wreck I was in with my parents when I was 13... rearended twice !! Had severe whiplash - in fact my neck was curved the wrong way when I FINALLY went to a chiropractor about it 6 years later... so although it is much better over the many, many years...I have to go on a fairly regular basis for adjustments - particularly when I decide to try to do a months' work of work in a couple of days! :(

Working hard in the yard today trying to figure out what to do with all these goodies I brought home... better get back at it!

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9284052

Genna, glad you were able to score a nice haul regardless. Take your time with many breaks in between. I wouldn't pass up a great deal regardless.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 6:19 PM

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9284188

Maybe the beds can be rototilled and then just rake the grass out. Or you can roundup them but you wouldn't be able to plant next year.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9284252

Genna, you aren't anymore nuts than I am. I just ordered 3 more daylilies, and I have a ton yet to be planted. What's a woman to do? You have fun planting!

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 23, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9284336

I do have fun planting! BUT I DON'T have fun weeding ! :( Oh well, I got a lot of stuff repotted into holding pots until I can get some places cleaned up. Put some items in the bed that I have managed to get partially cleaned back out. Potted up 10 more DLs that I HOPE to get in the ground soon, but beds have to be dealt with first!

I made a nursery run before our plant swap and bought two maple trees. I did manage to get one of those planted today - hopefully will get the other one planted tomorrow. My husband had rotor cuff surgery 5 weeks ago he can't help with the trees except to supervise! :)

I got some good plants at the RU - but mostly I go just to meet up with some of my great DG friends, visit, swap plants and eat! Always come home with the vehicle stuffed and my belly too! There were several at this one that I haven't seen in over 2 yrs so it was really nice. Nothing like great gardening friends... (they are all as crazy as me!)

Hope everyone had a great day!
Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9284404

My day was ok. Didn't do much. On the chilly side today.
Clump Blackeyed Stella and double Buddy Hudson.
Freewheelin, not liking this chill.
Stella's Sparky two of three fasciated scapes are blooming. According to the AHS(http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/fasciation.html), a plant that had a f/scape will not do so the next season. With three on this one it shouldn't do so the next three seasons. LOL!!
Lavender Blue Baby - waited until this evening for it to open to take pic.
Blackeyed Stella - the other plant.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9284419

Crimson Pirate - not the greatest pic, one of two blooms. I see one small developing bud from this budbuilder left to bloom.
Macbeth - 6:30 am yesterday chilly morning.
Endless Heart
Stella's Sparky - blooming from a normal scape. F/scapes in the background.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9284608

I have a daylily blooming today but I think it is a seedling. The cold has it not opening well. I will give it time to warm up before I take a pic of it.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 24, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9284766

Can't believe you have them blooming in such cool temps!!

Cindy, did you get snow??
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9285036

No, and amen to that, LOL.
kimbar
Beaverton, MI

September 24, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9285187

Hillbilly Heart has buds on it and i have something else with buds to. we will see if they bloom.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9285463

Genna, I actually don't mind weeding. I find it relaxing for the most part, except when it's 90 and muggy. Yuck! Today and yesterday were great. Yesterday I got a lot of weeding done, and I pruned a climbing rose and got it trained, as it had gotten way out of control. It should look really nice next year. Today I got some mulching/fertilizing done, and I also moved around some daylilies. I moved some daylilies around, and finally finished a purple and yellow bed. I had started turning that one into a purple/yellow bed a couple of years ago. Today I dug up the rest of the daylilies that were not those colors and replaced with ones that were, switching things around. Also dug up some daylilies I'm getting rid of to pot up and sell. Oh, and dug up some shasta daisies from a clump that was getting too big. Those will be potted up to sell, also. Or I might find someone to just give them too. Anyone want some shasta daisies?

I did not make it to a Round Up this year. Had one scheduled at my house in July for peak daylily bloom, but the people who said they could come could not make it after all. Would love to do it next year. I really enjoy them.

Nice blooms, Mike. At least you have some still going. I have pretty much nothing blooming now. Found a few prolifs. 3 were on a NOID plant that is a dark purple with creped texture, really nice one. Will cut them off and plant when they develop roots. Can't remember now which plant the other 2 were on, but they had decent roots on them already I cut them off and planted next to the parent clump. I have one bud left on a rebloom scape on SUNDAYS WITH VERNON.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9285498

Speaking of prolif. I found one on Lavender Blue Baby. When this one is finished blooming I will put it in water and pot up and bring inside along with a few others. They will go by a south facing window. Better survival chance there IMHO. Picked up a oldie that I always wanted at a local nursery along with "Tomato Soup" cone flower. Oldie = Gentle Shepard. Cheap!!!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9285562

GENTLE SHEPARD is a good one. I almost got PARDON ME recently, as it was in bloom and looked so nice. I think I had that one some time back and didn't care for it too much, but I have recently grown fond of it. I have quite a few seedlings from that one that my late mother grew.

Unfortunately I don't have room in the house for daylily prolifs. I already have too many tropicals to overwinter.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9285703

I put a couple of rooted prolifs in the ground about 2 weeks ago. If they make it fine, if not, oh well, not going to fuss with them.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 25, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9285941

I was about to ask why u had to keep the prolifs inside...I thought everyone just planted them. I guess it because your winters are so much colder?? We plant DLs here almost anytime - just not when the ground is frozen ...
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 26, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9287029

Just wanted to let ya'll know what enablers ya'll have been for me these past few months! I only had about 10 daylilies this Spring... i have had a few more in the past but lost some last year in the drought when I sick and just couldn't keep the ones in the farthest beds watered. Well, I counted last night and I have 50 !!! pots on DLs on my front porch (shaking my head in disbelief). I was shocked! I knew that i purchased several from the farm going out of business, and I purchased some from Judy selling on the classifieds, got just a few from my plant swap last weekend, but I didn't realize how much I had multiplied my DL holdings!!! PLUS, I have put several new DLs in the ground this year! Probably at least 20 more! And I won't EVEN mention how long my want list is... oh my... I guess you could say you have been a positive influence! :-) (Not sure my husband would agree with that statement though...)

LOL ... can't wait for next summer!! I will have blooms galore compared to what I have been having!!!

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9287628

Genna, we all started out like that! It will be great next year and the year after that and the year after that...you get the picture! LOL!!
The prolifs that I will be bringing inside are the ones that I am really fond of due to my low fan count on the mother plant. I already have several in the ground. I am only bringing in a few.
Mike
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9287693

LOL, LOL, I can relate. Like Mike said, we all started out that way. My one dozen I started with has now become 350. I really need to downsize but just can't seem to part with any.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 27, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9287714

I have a fairly large porch, and my pots are kinda lined up across the front of two large bay windows - I had NO idea there were that many until I counted the other night! I just hope my husband doesn't stop and count... :) I sure hope to get most of them in the ground because I am a little nervous about trying to overwinter them in pots! I have decided that the ones that don't get in the ground will be moved down off my porch and onto the ground at the south end of the porch up next to the foundation of the house. Hopefully, that will give them a little protection from the North wind, and they will still get morning sun there and hopefully some radiant warmth from the brick wall...

If my husband asks...I am blaming it on ya'll beautiful photos~! just so you know...

:-)

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9287919

We will take the blame, don't worry!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9288441

Genna, I know just how you feel. I'm still that way. Last year I bought about 60 or so new daylilies, and ended up potting most of them. They made it through the winter just fine. I have not figured out how many I have bought this year, as well as all the bonuses I got. And I'm just now placing an order with Bob Selman at Blueridge Daylilies in NC, as I got an email from him letting me know he has a lot listed on sale in his eBay store. The ones he has there are pretty much all $9.99. Here's what I'm getting:

SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE
ELECTRIC MIST
RASPBERRY WINTER
PARTY PINAFORE
SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION
SPACECOAST STARBURST
SKINWALKER
WINTER IN EDEN
LINDY TWIRL

I know he'll send a lot of bonuses, too.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 28, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9288727

Are these for shipment now Karen? Or next spring? I got mine so late from him last year and it was already so hot here - they really have not performed well...

And there you go enabling even more !! :-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9288758

Lady Elizabeth opened.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

gen2026
Camden, AR

September 28, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9288791

Very nice...
lesliehand
East Greenwich, RI

September 28, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9289017

Ok I have this one blooming in my garden - I always thought it was "Look Here Mary" but looking at all of yours - the colors are off and it's bloom is only about 6". Any idea what it might be?

The color is NOT gold, but more of a creme / off-white. It has a definite stripe of white running though the middle of each main three petals. The leaves are 16" and the scape is 23".

Thumbnail by lesliehand

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9289211

That LADY ELIZABETH is very pretty.

Sorry, Leslie, I don't know what that one could be. So many are so hard to identify that I pretty much gave that up a long time ago.

Genna, yes, those are for fall delivery, so I hope he doesn't send them too late. I have to plant them ASAP. I got my last order from late winter in August! Partly my fault for not contacting him sooner, but he misplaced my order. They're doing well, though.

Karen
karen13771
Toledo, OH

September 28, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9289227

Karen, the invoice I received on Bob Selman's order said delivery could be expected october4 -6. The email from Bob Selman said he would send the order as soon as possible.You are right, we need to plant soon to get plants established before winter sets in. I know we take a chance planting at this time. Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9289300

It's not too bad planting at this time out my way, as we don't really get a hard freeze here till Dec. Not that we don't get frost. What zone are you in karen13771?

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9289352

I want you all to know that I have a daylily that (hopefully) will give a really nice rebloom!

AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER had 1 bloom earlier in the year. It was planted in early August of 2011.

Here is a picture of the scapes, just in case they don't bloom before a frost! LOL

Thumbnail by l2le

karen13771
Toledo, OH

September 29, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9289729

Karen, here in northwest ohio we were zone 5. I noticed on the revised maps they are saying zone 6. I don't see how when our temperatures get to -20 and have gone even a little colder than that. Granted it doesn't happen every year.This area is considered on the shores of lake Erie.We do not have to drive far to get there so we have wind chills and humidity from the lake.I take a chance every year and plant till mid october . I figure the milorganite in the planting hole helps keep the roots warm longer. I only ordered 3 plants from Bob Selman, Egyptian Queen, Strider Spider, and Spacecoast Spice Girl.I was afraid to order a lot, just in case. His plants are great! When do your hard freezes set in?Ours can vary from late october to mid november. Karen
lesliehand
East Greenwich, RI

September 29, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9289807

I think I was a gift from Bob S year ago, because I have all the others pretty well marked.

I think it was marked Look Here Mary, but it is clearly not. The blooms on that are much bigger and folder

Thumbnail by lesliehand

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9289894

Very pretty!!! I like the creme colors.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 29, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9290085

Well, I went and looked at all the ones he had on sale - and there are lots I would love to have, but I opted not to purchase ANY more until i can get all these I have potted in the ground! Plus, I just bought several that came in last week ... have to spread my purchases out some and I have some compost and manure that I want to buy to improve another section of my foundation planting.

Oh well, I was quite proud of myself for not ordering anything!!! :-)

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9290417

Karen, we can get a hard freeze in mid Nov, I suppose, but we don't really get a freeze till more like late Nov, early Dec. Sometimes not till late Dec. I have hear we are now zone 7 on the revised zone map, but I don't see how that's likely for us, either. I will still plant like we're zone 6. Not taking any chances. Costs too much to spend money on plants I might lose.

Wish I could have held off on ordering. Oh well. Gonna have lots of planting to do. :-P

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9297656

Looks like I will have a Rebloom on AARON's LITTLE WHOPPER after all.

I was afraid it wouldn't bloom before we get a frost. (Usually the last week of October), but LOOKIE!!

Linda

Thumbnail by l2le

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9298006

Woohoo! Looking good! I'm sure that will be open by tomorrow.

My last bud on the rebloom scape of SUNDAYS WITH VERNON was open today. I got a pic, but can't upload to my computer, as my card reader is broken. Hopefully I can get a new one tomorrow. That's the last daylily of the season for me this year. Such a shame, but everything bloomed 2 weeks early this year due to the freakishly warm weather in spring. Maybe next year will be more normal, so we can enjoy more bloom later in the season.

Karen
karen13771
Toledo, OH

October 7, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9298288

Karen {nutsfordaylily}, did you get your order from Bob Selman? I got mine friday. He sent beautiful plants as always. I ordered 3 plants and he sent 4 gift plants. They are in the ground and we are going to get frost tonight. I think I will put some leaves around them since I just got them in. By the way, I have enjoyed seeing all your flowers.They are beautiful. Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9299885

You were right Karen! AARON's LITTLE WHOPPER bloomed yesterday, and the bloom was still good today. I took a couple of pics 10/7 and 10/8

Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9300121

Linda, that's a nice little whopper. Took DW to Kmart today and found them clearancing out all mulch for $2 per bag. Brought home 10 bags of pine bark mulch. Probably should go back and get some more.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9300175

Nice, Linda! Looks like it didn't want to open all the way. Probably doesn't like the cold. Congrats! Here's to all the blooms on that scape opening up before you get a frost or freeze.

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9301132

Good evening everybody, it is still fairly warm here and has been raining for three days. I had a few daylilies open in the past few days, because of all the rain they are very happy right now!
I also got a good size order from Bob Selman, I purchased eleven from him on eBay and he sent seven bonus plants. Very good size plants. You would have to look really hard to find plants that size for his price.

some october blooms. :) Bella Sera, Song Writer, Condilla.

Thumbnail by virginiarose   Thumbnail by virginiarose   Thumbnail by virginiarose      

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9301152

Very nice blooms, virginiarose. I have not gotten my order from Bob yet, nor heard from him. Will have to email him and as what's up. My season is shorter than yours, I'm guessing. I would think his customers further north would be first priority, unless it's first come, first served.

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9301204

Thank you Karen, Bob must be a very busy man, I have a few on my watch list and as far as I know he is still shipping. I noticed that sellers in the higher zones ship later. He is in NC same zone as me probably and fall is just now arriving.

susan
karen13771
Toledo, OH

October 10, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9301362

Susan, very pretty pictures. I really like your Bella Sera . You sure got a nice order from Bob Selman. He sent me huge plants too, but then he always does. It is just like christmas when you are opening his box. His plants do so well too. your plants will have more time to get established if fall is just starting for you. We have already had two frosts this past few days. I had to pull a couple zinnias yesterday that were touched by frost And this was after planting my order from him last wednesday I am thinking of mulching the new ones now rather than waiting for the ground to freeze Karen.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9301453

Daylilies can be 'heeled in' very successfully if there's no time to plant in fall. I've never done it, but read about it.

I sent Bob an email last night. Have not heard back from him yet.

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9301525

If you like that Christmas feeling, don't forget to try Maryott's! Wow, he sent me two of his introductions for free, and they were listed for 100.00 each. Also if you add to your order over the summer you get to take advantages of the special bonuses. Like Rachelle Agin which was listed for 90.00, Bluegrass memories listed for 40.00 and Artistically Engraved also listed for 100.00, got all these for free. Plus he has BOGO's which I also took advantage of, so all together I got 25 bonus plants if you count the BOGO's the second plant is a bonus, right? WhooHoo!

susan
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 10, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9301698

I like that Bella Sera and Condilla too. Sounds like you got some awesome bonuses! I LOVE opening up a box of daylilies... it is like Christmas! Every time...

Genna

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9301717

I was so happy, just like a kid at christmas! :)

susan

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9301797

I love that feeling, too. Can't wait to get mine from Bob. I've ordered from Maryott's before, too, as well as Brown's Ferry Gardens. Both sent great looking plants.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9302711

I have another bloom on AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER. I can't get Tinkers web site to show up, so can't pull a picture from it.

However, AHS has a pic and it shows a really rounded bloom with curved back petals. I thought perhaps mine just wouldn't open up all the way, but in looking at the one on AHS, maybe mine is open all the way. I don't know!

Thumbnail by l2le

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9302716

Just got an email from Bob today, and my plants have been shipped. Yippee! Can't wait to see what I got for bonuses.

Nice that you got another bloom, Linda! I think yours is not quite open all the way. I pulled up Tinker's and checked the pics there.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 11, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9302755

At least you have color in October!! I know it must be fun just to have DLs blooming this late!

Now the anticipation Karen, waiting on that package to come in the mail. I looked again yesterday at his listings... there are a few I would really like to have, especially since he said they were giving lots of bonuses trying to make room for the new season... but with 50 pots on the front porch, I am just not sure it is a good idea. :( MAYBE if I make a lot of progress this weekend, I might can order some at the first of the week! :-) Talk about motivation...

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9302771

Karen what did you get?

I just got my third order from Daylilies by the Pond, very nice company that sends big fans.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9302776

Genna, I'd like to order more myself, but it's getting a bit cold here, so I'll wait for spring. Besides, I still have lots to pot up to sell to make room for new ones.

Those look great, VA. Here's what I got from Bob.

SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE
SKINWALKER
LINDY TWIRL
WINTER IN EDEN
SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION
SPACECOAST STARBURST
PARTY PINAFORE
RASPBERRY WINTER
ELECTRIC MIST

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9302912

Wow, great list! I need to see if Bob has anymore Starburst. I was biding on one and lost. I had no idea he had any.

susan
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9302986

Karen, make sure you mulch Skinwalker. The first time I purchased it I lost it to winter kill. Thought I would try again so I purchased it again and mulched it heavily and it was fine. Now that I have a small clump of it I don't bother mulching it any more.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9303184

Thanks for the tip. Will do. I think I will be mulching all my new purchases this year, especially the ones I'm planting now.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9319877

A few from recently.
Blackeyed Stella
Happy Returns
Inimitable with Heavenly Angel Ice in the background and buds on Fransis Of Assisi to the left.
Inimitable, head on.
Heavenly Angel Ice

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9319884

Anemone, nice fall bloomer
Mums, perennial
Reblooming Iris
Stella's Sparky, fasciated scapes clump shot.
Stella D'Oro

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9319895

Mal, struggling to open in the cold.
She's not too thrilled that winter is here.
Heliantus Lemon Queen
Front garden protector
I counted 15 plants with scapes. With the cold moving in I know not to expect much.
Blackeyed Stella- 2. Second plant have one
Francissis Of Assisi- 2
Roman Cohort - new this year. first scape
Stella D'Oro
Inimitable
Heavenly Angel Ice
Stella's Sparky does have a ordinary scape left on it.
Final Touch
On And On
Mal
Happy Returns
Valentine Greetings - got this one from "Spunky Fred". 2nd scape
Blissful Blackberry Pie - new this year. First scape.
Prairie Wildfire
Possible useful info on rebloom, etc ?

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9319906

Longest blooming Calla lily I have seen
HAI, double awhile back.
The finches love this stack of seed stalks from the Liatris stuffed in the suet feeder.
Fleece flower

gen2026
Camden, AR

October 30, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9319979

That fleece flower is interesting - haven't seen that before! I also like that Lemon Queen Heliantus. Can't believe you have so many scrapes this time of year! Is this normal?? or is it just the strange year we have had??

I had originally planned to put most of mine that are supposed to rebloom down on the end of my foundation bed I am working on because I come in that way every day and wanted to get the most enjoyment out of them... but i am not sure how many rebloomers I ended up with there. I became so overwhelmed by trying to get the heights and colors coordinated that the reblooming issue fell by the wayside. :( It all becomes overwhelming to me when I start trying to select DLs or plant them!!

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9319980

The finches love my catnip seed. As soon as the catnip goes to seed they are all over it.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9321051

Really nice, Mike. Amazing you still have so much going on there.

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9322855

hemlady, I did not know that. What kind of catnip do you have?
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9323395

Gosh, I don't know. I thought catnip was all the same, lol. I do know that I end up pulling a lot of little plants up that seem to keep popping up all over the place.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9323438

Thanks I did look it up and I heard it is invasive even in zone 6, so might want to leave it alone. Sure is pretty and I do like the idea of providing for the birds. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America