Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Baby Mourning Dove?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wingwoman

wingwoman
Aurora, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 16, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9243319

Was wandering in the flower bed this morning and startled this little guy. He flew up to only to the fence then came back down and began pecking around. Not afraid of me at all, and hung out for quite some time, posing pretty for me. It seems awfully late in the season for babies to be wandering around. Is this a Mourning Dove? I love these birds.

Thumbnail by wingwoman   Thumbnail by wingwoman   Thumbnail by wingwoman
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9243515

What a darling! Yes, it is a juvenile Mourning Dove, it has the spots on the wings, blue eyering.

In Iowa they are late breeders, too, sometimes going into September.

wingwoman

wingwoman
Aurora, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 16, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9243524

Thanks so much. We get a lot of them around here, and I love to listen to their coo coo coo in the evenings. They look like little soldiers. I noticed an adult up on the wire, possibly keeping watch, while baby is walking practically between my feet. Very nice early morning gift.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9243909

If there's a reliable food supply, and it's not too cold, pigeons and doves will breed all year round.

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America