Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: OH!! I did a REAL STOOOOPID!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 42, Views: 414
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 16, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9243395

My blue corn plant has been growing BEAUTIFULLY on my balcony but it got to be so tall (almost 8 feet tall, and about to train itself over the balcony "ceiling") that I had to "prune" it, thinking that if I did, then the ears would still develop on the sides of the stalk. Imagine my horror when , after I lopped off the top 1 foot of the corn plant, to see that I had also lopped off the developing TASSEL!!!!! Oh NO!! Did I just "neuter" my corn plant????
PS -- the photo shows the corn plant when it was still relatively "short". The fan is because the neighbors on the adjoining balcony smoke like chimneys.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2012 10:42 AM

Thumbnail by Acemoose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9243436

Removing the tassel has effectively 'neutered' your plant, as you suspected. It needs the pollen falling onto the developing ears to pollinate. I haven't a clue if it will grow a new top? Somebody will know for sure.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 16, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9243443

My tears are flowing.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9243449

I'm not sure that one corn plant would have produced corn anyway. I've always heard that you have to have at least four rows of corn to get good cross-pollination.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9243557

I had 2 rows of 5 corn plants and they produced okay. Can't comment on one plant, though.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 17, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9244728

i actually DID successfully grow ONE blue corn plant many years ago, on the same balcony. i got two ears. I cooked them. They were very starchy but I was very proud of myself (after all, I'm a kid from the Bronx, with a green thumb, who lived 1/4 mile away from the Bronx Botanical Gardens, so something musta rubbed off on me )

So there is hope. And I stood up on my tiptoes and checked the top of that butchered (boohoo) corn plant and saw that parts of the tassel are still on the corn, intact. So... maybe ... the tassel will stil grow and produce pollen in abbreviated form.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9244876

I'm keeping watch here so please keep us posted.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 20, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9247453

OK- thanks kwanjin -- will do. As of this morning the (boohoo!) hacked off part of the top stalk IS growing taller. I look at it and think of what could have been.. bu there is still hope.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 24, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9252098

There is HOPE! There is HOPE!! The plant is Tasseling out once again!! I cannot find any way to post the photo here (can someone help me here??) and do not want to start another thread but the new tassel is about 7 inches long already and.. the corn plant is once again so tall that it is now snaking its way across the top of my balcony/bottom of the upstairs neighbor's balcony. AND I am NOT touching this plant!!!!!!
They will be refurbishing and repainting the balconies starting NOW -- but they will have to LAY off this corn plant and work around it!!!!!

Oops-- August 28 -- no I still cannot dowload a photo here.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 12:34 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9252121

I can't figure out how to post pics either. I have for years and now it's all different.

YEA!!!!! Good luck with it!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9252129

To post a picture. Save it somewhere on your computer that you know where it is. Below the box there is a line that reads "You may upload up to 5 ..." Next is the line "Upload Images to your reply. below that is a box labeled Choose a File. Click that box. It will bring up another box that will show files some where in your folder system. Where will depend on your operating system and settings. Click on the name of the picture you want and then click open or what ever equivalent button on your system. The picture is attached.
I always preview the picture because Murphy's law says that if you make a mistaking in choosing a picture , the one that gets chosen will be the last one you want published and everyone will happen to be reading that thread when it is.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9252132

I don't have that. It says "You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file." Then there is a blank space and then "Upload Images to your reply" The only clickable areas are Preview and Send.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9252133

I'm just posting a picture of my squash patch to make sure my directions work. They do. It looks like the major difference is that it doesn't take you to a new page.

Thumbnail by Doug9345

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9252135

I've never been taken to a new page.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9252136

Ah now I see why you would have a problem. Dave's garden and your browser aren't playing nice with each other. Here is what my screen looks like.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 10:25 AM

Thumbnail by Doug9345

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9252138

Yup, the Choose A File box is missing. This happened about 5 days ago.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 10:47 PM
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9252141

Contact Dave's garden. They rolled new software out, found out it didn't play well with apple products, and rolled it back. Obviously it still isn't playing well with some systems. J
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9252144

[quote="plantfreak78"]I'm not sure that one corn plant would have produced corn anyway. I've always heard that you have to have at least four rows of corn to get good cross-pollination.[/quote]

The reason for that is to make sure the wind actually blows the pollen onto the silk of a corn plant. Picture trying to sprinkle baby powder on corn silk from the height of the tassel in a wind.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9252653

Each silk must be fertilized to produce it's 1 kernel of corn, hope you have luck!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9252654

Ugh! Not fertilized, pollinated, sorry
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 27, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9255265

Alas -- due to the afore-mentioned software glitch, I am still unable to upload a new picture-- but Picture This --> A healthy corn stalk, green-- with leaves flapping like scarecrow arms in the wind and an 8" LOOONG BEAUTIFUL TASSEL (YYYESSS!) on the very top of the plant -- snaaaking its way across the "roof" of my balcony. Where it will stop, no one knows. When the corn will ear out-- is anyone's guess.

And now I am faced with another daunting yet solvable problem -- "They" are renovating all the balconies in my bldg -- stripping off the outdoor carpeting, taking off the glass panels, sanding and repainting the posts -- and the lone Blue Corn Plant will be a witness (but, we hope NOT a victim) to all of this. may the Good Lord and the Three Sisters protect TCP. I have one more survival plan for it...to be continued...

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9255506

Acemoose, you are hilarious. I love how passionate you are about plants. I have a few customers who sound just like you and they're a pleasure to work with. You're my favorite kind of yankee :)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9255535

Acemoose, try another browser if you can. Otherwise, use this link to contact our helpdesk with the browser (and version) you are running and we can give you some tips: http://davesgarden.com/helpdesk/b_gardentalk/

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9256229

Acemoose, will be interested to see what your corn ears look like. My husband and I, in our novitiate state many moons ago (like 50 years' worth of moons), planted one row of corn, not knowing about pollination and all that jazz. We had lovely corn when it was in the shucks. However, peeling away the outside revealed corn that badly needed a dentist. It was all snaggle-toothed! I managed to scrape off enough for one meal's worth of creamed corn. At least it was tasty. Keep us posted --- both on your corn plant in peril and the harvest you gather.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 8:30 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9256523

Judy, I know what you mean about he 'snaggle tooth' corn. LOL This is my first attempt at corn.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9256951

Wow, that corn is piddly. But your kitteh is precious. That looks a lot like my Mardi Gras. Aren't black cats the best :)

Thumbnail by plantfreak78

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9256962

They certainly have personality. LOL! Isis is the bad one that gets into all kinds of trouble and has all the medical problems. She's cost us about $3000 in the last 1 1/2 years. Wouldn't trade her for anything, tho!

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9256982

Kwanjin, Bless your heart!! Well, at least our ears were larger but that's about the amount of corn we harvested. Love your kitty too!
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 28, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9257025

Nothing adds more beauty to a garden than the Resident KittyKat. My Big Bad Baby Twinkle is in a huge huff right now because she has known the delights of the - no, scuse me HER - (securely fenced-in, cat-safe) balcony for the past 16 yrs ever since I brought her home from the shelter. Alas, the balcony is waaay off limits to the cats right now (the other cat, Cee Cee lived on the mean streets for a few years, so the balcony has always been a scaary place for her) as the fence is history, the wooden lattice has been prepped for re-use after I paint it, new chicken wire (4 rolls of it) and secure fasteners are on my shopping list, but the "powers-that-renovate balconies" are draaagging their feet.

OH LOOK AT THIS!! "Choose a File" -- I have uploaded photos of their highnesses (Cee Cee is the one with the Biiig scarey eyes) and will re-visit my previous post to see if I can upload the photo of the miracle Blue Corn Plant!!!

PS-- PlantFreak 78 -- Thank you for your kind words!! I have friends in Fuquay and I always love to visit them -- when we pass by the harvested cotton fields -- it's always a novel delight to see those little cotton balls in the fields.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 12:37 PM

Thumbnail by Acemoose   Thumbnail by Acemoose         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9257153

If your Fuquay friends are plant people you'll have to send them up to see me (I work at the best nursery in the Raleigh area). We have a resident cat, Sullivan J. Bean the third, who likes to sleep on my desk :)
Your kitties look like they have a lot of personality. Most of the bi-colored cats I've known have been quite rambunctious.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9257396

Cute kitties!

HEY! I've been to Fuquay!!! Raleigh, too!
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 30, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9259177

Dear Plantfreak78-- I will mention your nursery AND your kitty to my friends!! They too have a kitty -- his name is Butthead. Bicolored kktties? You mean Cee Cee the Tortie on the right? She NEVER stops moving...but then again she is a tortie and many experts think that since torties have unique genes it may also apply to their brains as well, hence their sometimes odd purrsonalities. However the one to the left, Big Bad Baby Twinkle is ever inventive and wants things HER way only, and will not hesitate to smack anyone who does not do her bidding (the 6 foot tall vet has jumped aside a number of times too -- MOL!!!)
Kwanjin - Fuquay is a cool place. The only part of Raleigh I know is 1) the bus stop (the Caroilna trailways) and the Amtrak Station with the really interesting brick building in the foreground (built about 90 years ago, with alot of personality). Perhaps we have passed one another in our forays thru said towns!!

Here is the ALMOST- latest photo of the corn plant -- add about 8 inches to the stalk top, which is now at a right angle to the balcony, snaking ever onward-- and about 8 inches to the tassel -- alas I left the other, more recent photos home on my portable HD.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 10:02 AM

Thumbnail by Acemoose

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9259195

Woohoo! Looking good!

I've been to Fuquay all of once back in 2007. My DH and I went there to check out the new Boon Edam facility. We spent 3 days in NC and enjoyed every minute. Folks out there are awesome. We had a flat tire in Fayetteville and there was a birthday party going on at the house where in happened. That tire got changed in record time and we were even invited to eat. We've never had a better time travelling or met nicer folks.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

September 4, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9264473

Update -- NOTHING significant happening-- hot and humid-- corn tassel looks lovely and that's about it so far.

Sounds like a great Birthday Party kwanjin!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9264497

It was fun. We would love to go back and visit the area.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

September 10, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9270639

Nothing new to report. The tassel sure looks great. That's about it.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

September 17, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9277630

Well...update... I bet I have the most BEAUTIFUL Corn Tassel in the whole 400 unit apartment building!! But alas, no corn and the stalk is getting a bit puny and the BEST thing that may come of this beloved Blue Corn Plant is that it may become a Halloween door decoration.
Next year, I will be growing more blue corn on my balcony and if the plants start to get too tall, I may end up espaliering my corn plants, and I WILL get ears next time...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9277726

Woohoo! So good to hear that!
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9278014

Doug

Such beautiful squash plants for so late in the year! You certainly have a green thumb.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9278041

Loving the updates. Reading gives me a big ol' grin :)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9278330

They just need lots of sun, and planted with a little fish below them, espalier corn? Wonders never cease, chuckl. Lots of sun.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

September 25, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9286122

[quote="kittriana"]They just need lots of sun, and planted with a little fish below them, espalier corn? Wonders never cease, chuckl. Lots of sun.[/quote]
But definitely NOT "Mooseabec Sardines in Mustard" (grin!)
Well, the corn plant is tall, skinny and childless. And, alas, the workers have started to scrape the OLD paint off the balconies above and below me (as well as my balcony paint) and I fear that there may be lead in that old paint (1960's???). So I will let the Corn Plant grow as a tribute to All That Grows to Sustain Us, and I will just try again next year.
I loved everyone's comments and interst and genuine concern over my STOOOPID Mistake!!
See you on the Forums!!
Cheers
Ace, Big Bad Baby Twinkle and Sweet Cee Cee (all of whom are not going out onto the balcony to get any fresh air for a while, lest they breathe in a paint flake or two and because the cat fence was taken down now as well-- altho Ace DOES water that precious BC plant)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9286176

Ace, I just have to add that a mistake is only stupid if you knew better beforehand. I didn't know the answer to your question and have learned something from it. I wouldn't, however, give up on getting babies. This plant may surprise you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America