Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: Vivia Italia much better than Roma.

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 15, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9243699

This is my first year for Vivia Italia but I will never plant Romas again. Much, much better taste to the Vivia Italia. Not a problem with blossom end rot and heavy production. They taste quite good fresh also and I never wanted to eat my Romas fresh. I put the tape measure there in one of the pictures so you can see that they are a nice sized tomato too.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click an image for an enlarged view.

idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9267037

Rita, thanks for that. I'm planning my garden for next year, and am looking for a good Roma tomato. Is this one determinate?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9267050

Most sites list it as Determinate but there appears to be some confusion as not everyone does.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 6, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9267057

Despite my total lack of enthusiasm for most paste varieties as I've shared here several times, I can sugggest Martino's Roma as a darn good det variety. It has rugose foliage and the fruit production is so great that the det plants look a bit like small Xmas trees with red ornaments.

BER can affect ANY paste variety depending on the season b'c most of the variables that can induce BER, but not all, are weather related.

I don't remember ever seeing BER on the Martino plants the seasons that I grew it but for sure there might have been the next season, simply b'c paste varieties are known to be more susceptible to both BER and Early Blight as well.

Sarnowski Polish Plum is a long red, and another one that I never saw BER with in the seasons I grew it, but always there's the next year it's grown.

Two others that I'm high on for fresh eating as well as sauces are Kenosha Paste and Kukla's Portuguese Paste, but from the latter only seeds from red fruited plants b/c it's still throwing some pink fruited plants and theKulkapne is quite new so whileTania has it listed I don't think there are any seeds available commercially yet. Same for the two other Kukla's, the beefsteak and the heart ones..

But knowing me you should know that I've already sent seeds for theKukla
s to those commercial places where I've known the owners well and have for many years.

Whoops, I didn't mean to post so much about paste varieties b'c a search here will bring up MANY threads about them.

Carolyn

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9267085

Carolyn, while I know it is very true that any tomatoes can get Blossom End Rot I know that some are much more prone to getting it than others. I have only grown these Viva Italias for this one year but I will definatly be growing them again. Out of all the tomatoes picked from them, only two had BER and those came early in the season. Tomatoes from them are nice sized and perfect looking while tasting very good. I made stewed tomatoes from them that turned out absolutely delicious!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9267777

Thanks, Rita. I didn't grow any paste tomatoes this year. Don't really care for them taste wise either (thanks, Carolyn, for echoing the sentiments in a nice way - 'lack of enthusiasm'). The only similar ones I ever grew that I had any confidence or 'taste' for were Health Kick Hybrids (Det), which I grew on a whim because they are supposed to be loaded with lycopene. They are a plum-type but tasted great and were good for cooking too.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9268008

Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm looking for is one determinate that I can grow in a whiskey barrel and that I can "put-up" next summer. Which of those above would qualify? I want to use eventually for sauce and for chili. BTW Rita, I would love to have your recipe for stewed tomatoes. My husband loves them!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9268040

I found this receipe on the internet and modified it.

Crockpot Stewed tomatoes-

Ingredients:
16 ripe paste tomatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 tablespoons sugar (or less)
1 or 2 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Preparation:
Blanch and peel tomatoes. Remove core and cut tomatoes in half. In Crock Pot, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours. Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle top with parsley, if desired. Serve as a side dish or freeze in portions for soups or other recipes.

I only put a pinch of sugar and left out the salt compleatly as I am on a salt restricted diet. But I would say add the sugar, salt and pepper to your own taste.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 7, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9268454

What I'm looking for is one determinate that I can grow in a whiskey barrel and that I can "put-up" next summer. Which of those above would qualify? I want to use eventually for sauce and for chili

Peggy, of the ones listed above, and it appears you want only a paste variety, I'd suggest Martino's Roma, which is det. You can find seeds sources for it if you go to Tania's tomato data base and enter the name where it says to search via the alphabetical method.

It does have excellent production but is ONE plant going to give you enough fruits for both canning and making sauce? Most folks I know grow several plants of one or more varieties for their needs, but then I don't know how much you need. ( smile)

Carolyn

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9268503

I was thinking the same as Carolyn. One plant is not going to give you much for processing.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9270849

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm going to grow quite a few others as well, like I did this year, I just wanted to try a determinate in that one spot 'cause I thought it would look kinda' cool there with maybe some marigolds around it. I haven't ever canned before, and I'm going to do some small batch canning to start.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9270999

Oh, I just saw the recipe. . .Thanks Rita!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9271004

No problem.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9274324

Roasted Vivia Italia tomatoes on the grill for dinner tonight along with a nice steak . I picked some nice ones and put them on the grill, turning every so often till they were nice and soft. Yummy!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9288113

Honestly, I am just so pleased with these VIVIA ITALIAs. I picked a bunch again today and here it is end of September. It surprised me that I get fruit from them so late in the year but it is a really nice surprise.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9302802

I picked 12 Viva Italias today. I really think this is it and the last of them for the year. Got great production and I am very pleased.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America