-
AuthorContent
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9243893

To all the tropical peeps; Please enjoy thought provoking pictures, gardens and other odds and ends from the world of heat and humidity.

We came from here;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272026/ Tropical Plants and Gardens #123

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 16, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9243926

Thanks Drew, I was just thinking I may start a new one, but you beat me to it. My baby, lol, seems to be doing great. I did find a little caterpillar on it yesterday! I looked for other but didn't see any.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9243991

All of my plants are being eaten alive by spider mites - I've sprayed Neem oil on them, which helps, but I can't afford to do ALL of them!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9244092

How about just giving them a bath with a very mild solution of Dr. Bronner's soap. A teaspoon to a gallon in a hose end sprayer, it is just enough to break the surface tension of the water. Do that several times a week and "wash" everything in the yard until the subsequent generations of the mites are all gone. I often do this just as a preventative.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9244105

It's amazing how close tree frogs will let you toward them before they will move away. Somebody had a "brood" in the petiole region that probably holds a pint of water in one of my big Alocasias. There are 15-20 of those little guys about a 3/4'' long on the leaves in the morning, when, I go out and sit to drink my coffee.

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9244124

Yes, Drew - it is amazing. I have a bunch of babies in the greenhouse and they just don't know fear - they hop away at the last second.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9244176

awsome pics...
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 16, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9244245

That is a great tip Ardesia, I have used Neem this year to try to keep the lubbers at bay. I have had an issue with spider mites in the past so I will have to keep this in mind. I love Dr. Bronner's products!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9244254

My cheaper sprayer mix ... Windex, non scented soap, mollassas ( make it stick) , epsom salts, a can of beer, a splash of ammonia,a dollop of vegetable oil, and I add miracle grow or some kind of high nitro ferts along with a mosquitoe dunk in the sprayer ( it sticks to the bottom of the sprayer) and this year I added some mosquitoe killer, ( pyrethins concentrate) and some worm killer to my mix. It seems to help.. Mix a Gallon, shake and fill sprayer. That should last ya all growing season. drench soil with heavy soap suds. I use anti bacterial soap for that, it has really helped with all bugs in soil. I wish I had some more Forbid, one ounce lasted me two years in and out. I only used that inside, as it is not good for friendly critters. I also add a mega B vitamin tablet to th gallon. In winter I substitute the vege oil for tea tree oil. It makes the mix smell good.My local feed n seed store has the pryetins concentrate, but it is only 10%. I use a 70 Percent I get from Amazon, and after shipping, it is the same price as my local store, only stronger..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9244266

I've missed you all!!! Here is my plumeria in bloom!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9244334

Debra, I guess you are killing the worms because these are mostly indoor plants? For outdoors I encourage worms, the more worms you have, the better the soil is.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9244435

Alice, I am talking about the loper worms and inch worms and all those ones that chew holes in leaves and eat the centers out of the zinnias.. ;/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9245287

did I scare everyone away? Helllloooooo.. LOL
tuber rose is blooming.
milkweeds are blooming again.. I had cut them back earlier..
Salvia from MJ is blooming..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9245353

Hey Deb,
my tuberose is blooming too...buy there are so many weeds around it I can't take a picture. that last pic I think is Agastache..
I've been swamped. College kids cramming in extra riding lessons before they head off for school. Several are enrolled in equestrian programs at their colleges so it's been like
"summer school" around here.
gotta go picture shooting soon, it's a jungle out there with all the rain lately.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9245650

Hi All -

I've been away visiting my family for a week. I just walked out into my garden today, it looks like I will be trimming and pulling weeds tomorrow! It's been a full time job just to keep up with everything with all of this rain. I will have to take some new pics as well. My new barleria amethyst is blooming already.
prita
Red Oak, TX

August 18, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9245775

Hello Everyone, like a bad penny, I am back. I enjoy these threads so much. Thanks to everyone for their comments and pictures. Like Kay I am fighting pests. It is something I go through every summer, it just seems to be worse this year.

Hi LiliMerci good to see you!

RachelLF, I will d- mail soon concerning a trade. I would like to see how much your aroids has grown.
I have nothing blooming at this time except a couple of Bromeliads and a new ginger but wanted to post something anyway.

Aechmea Del Mar
Anthurium with noid Bromeliad bloom
Bromeliad with grasshoppers
Bromeliad with frog
Bromeliad with pups.

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 18, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9245778

My little house and jungle in Placencia, Belize. It will probably take a month to prune and tidy this little yard but I love it!

house
Travellers palm and Oleander
Cashew tree in background
Orchid tree and red ginger to hide septic tank
Dock

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 18, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9245780

Curcuma Red Torch

Dock with orchid and mango tree

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9245893

Hey guys! Just got back from our honeymoon last night! I'll try to post some pics, along with a list of plants in each sometime later tonight (they had some interesting plants at the various theme parks, including those tropical epiphytic pitcher plants in the Hogwarts greenhouse at Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure).
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9245930

Rita, everything looks wonderful!

HT, welcome back - we would love to see pictures!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9246027

If you ever need any help down there Rita...

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9246031

I'm with Drew - just send me a 1-way ticket and I'm there!!!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9246126

Hi Rita - your place in Belize looks so cozy! I love all of your flowers and foilage. I really like your red curcuma too.
Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9246191

OK, as promised, here's a FEW pics:

First one is a pic of the exterior of Hogwarts Castle at Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure. Second one is the hanging Pitcher Plants in the Hogwarts Greenhouse, which was part of the waiting area to get into the "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" ride... These Pitcher Plants are 100% real. Third pic is my wife and I standing in front of the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom, and lastly, a pic of our wedding rings.

Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama   Thumbnail by Hikaro_Takayama

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9246200

Hello, I too am turning up like the bad penny, from a trip up to Canada. Got in at midnight, but my brain thinks it's 9pm so I am wide awake . . will post pictures tomorrow, hoping there's lots of new blooms out there.

Great pictures, everyone! Rita, what a lovely spot you have down there in Belize. HT, congrats, you two sure look happy.

Going back a bit further, wanted to comment on the various spray recipes - mine involves using my lavender liquid hand soap along with Deb's additive of a slop of Windex in each 2gal. sprayer. Lavender is supposed to be insect repellent as well as anti-bacterial and it does seem to have kept some leaves on my Brug. Charles Grimaldi which was heavily infested with spider mites the week before I left. I sprayed it thoroughly 3 times that week, and rinsed it off with the hose the day after spraying each time. I think the life cycle is so quick in the warm weather that you really have to stay on top of the little bugs, and spray repeatedly to get all the generations as Alice mentioned.

I also spray my brugs and other things with the weak orchid fertilizer that my orchids get misted with every day. That's in another sprayer. Read somewhere that lots of plants that live in warm climates feed more heavily through their leaves when it's hot and humid.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9246323

Rita, I am envious!!! So beautiful!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9246932

Lots of growth out in my garden since I left on vacation - I'm especially thrilled with these heliconias - H. Lady Di - which I bought just before I left, and just plunked the pots out into the border where they would get watered.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9246958

Congratulations on your marriage, HT!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9246969

Drew, the leaf in your last post is big enough to be a jib for our sailboat! Wow, gorgeous.

I know I keep posting these, but the flower heads on my Brazilian Red Cloak just keep getting bigger and better - they are a foot tall and 10in wide now. It's the prettiest thing I see when I look out my bedroom window in the mornings.

I also got a new Mandevilla that is dark velvety red, the picture really didn't capture the flower color very well at all. My little pale yellow Abutilons are much happier now that I potted them up - it sure is a good thing to go away for a vacation, you get so much done before you can leave!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 20, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9247971

Where is everyone? It is a perfect day here in Red Oak today, we must have done something right.
Thanks for all the nice comments on my vacation house. I have had a few visitors that planned to help me with yard work, but it all changed when they found the ocean and the beach side restaurant bars. lol

homer1958, incredible growth on your Alocasia!! It seems as if your white chair is shrinking.

Hikaro_akayama, Congratulations, wishing you a long and happy marriage! You guys make a very cute couple.

dyzzy, glad to have you back, I hope that you had fun on your visit.
Love the H Lady Di, I will have to check my local nurserys to find one. I seem to have good luck growing Heliconias.
It made my day to see you enjoying the Brazilian Red Cloak. I bought a purple Mandevilla a couple of years ago. It's still alive but no blooms so far, lets see your's.

I have a few oldies (shown before) still blooming
Golden Crinum
Crinum Queen Emma in the sun, it is great in pots, the leaves are 6"-8" wide, with Beautiful big fragrant blooms. I will have a few starts to share of each, with people on this thread, next month.
noid vine from my first trade on DG

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 20, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9247974

These are a Blue potato bush from Rj, Castor bean from Kimarj and Red Ruellia from mj.
Kopsia fruticosa, with a few blooms today. Can't wait for it to be covered in flowers. from rj
Canna from Joeswife. The flowers are smalI but quite the hummingbird magnet.

I have to throw in a few Bromeliads, the last basket is a new noid from the sale rack

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9248023

Amazing flowers, Rita!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9248206

I am amazed every time I come on here and see the incredible plants you guys post!

Thank You All!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9248227

Rita, the Heliconia 'Lady Di' came from Home Depot, and they had lots of them. You should try there first if you want some. I had my garden helper plant them out in the front yard, but now I'm missing them where they were, so I'll have to go get some more.

Here's the dark red Mandevilla . . . I just can't get the color to come out right in the pictures, it looks magenta, but the real color is a velvety burgundy shading crimson. Love it.

I have that same Caesalpinia Pulcherimma, a dwarf form of Poinciana. Those flowers are so great, and it just blooms and blooms. My kind of plant! I've given up on the Crinums although I do love the flowers and fragrance. They just don't last very long here. So nice to be able to enjoy yours in pictures!

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 8:34 PM

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9248268

The drawf poinciana is beautiful!

Rita, I am envying your garden and yes, I would spend all my time at the beach too, but it would be a hard choice - garden? beach? :) Oh, Rita, I think I killed that Vietnamese ginger. I have to take a picture of the one I have left to see if it is the one. No flower, just leaves though.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9248435

homer1958 wrote:I am amazed every time I come on here and see the incredible plants you guys post!

Thank You All!!!

me too! Zone envy here.. love the monsters you have Drew, and the array of eye candy today was very needed. Thank You

KayJones, {{{{hugs}}}}

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9248567

Deb, you haven't called me back from a week ago - everything o.k.?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9248587

LOL...Rita I just wanna go park in that Hammock !!
It's been raining like crazy here...I think we might be caught up now...

A few Philos from Cassie...that girl hooked me up last year !!

Painted Lady, and not sure of the id's on the rest...maybe someone can help...

The last Philo grazliae I got from Efg...I keep wrapping it around the pot otherwise it would go straight up and flop over.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9248775

Those are some awesome Philos, mj. The second one looks like a giant passionvine in the leaf shape. Love the shiny dark green leaves on the grazliae. I see your Looking Glass begonia in that first pic, too. Looks great! Keep your gumboots handy, more rain in the forecast. We haven't had nearly as much as you, but it poured last night.

Cassie sent me a Philo awhile back that is so pretty and going strong, but noID. Anybody? Dark green mature leaves, red stems.

Speaking of begonias, Alice, my Don Miller from you has seeded itself and even came true! Check this out! There's a third seedling around the other side of the pot, too.

Red and pink Abutilons. Last pic shows a seedling of C.Pulch (pic above in my last post) that popped up while I was away. So the seeds are viable! Who wants some?

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 11:08 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9248819

Rita, your unknown red-blooming vine (in post Post #9247971, above) is Manettia vine - lovely plant - I have them in several places in my yard.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9249566

Rita - your plants are so nice! I think that is what I need - a garden helper. The three furry ones I have aren't very productive - LOL.

I just purchased the crimson mandevilla as well - from the sale rack at Lowes - a whopping $3. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

MJ - I like the vine in your last picture, it is so different.

I am so excited, I purchased some puya seeds (Puya berteroniana or Blue Puya) and they are sprouting already. I assumed from what I read that it would take much longer for them to sprout. Now if I can just keep them going :)

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9249721

Elaine, I have the first Philo you posted also...hopefully someone chimes in with an id on these.
Now I'm going to have to go out and check around the Don Miller to see if it's been busy out there too !! I guess we are on Hurricane "Pre watch" now...Uggg, I have no idea where I'm going to put everthing if it comes this way.

Floribunny yup that's a favorite of mine...wish it was easier to propagate as I could fill out the pot faster. Takes it sweet time to root even in optimum conditions.

Ant Fern, from below and a close up of the Rhizomes. Cool plant...
Baby Staghorn, I need to update the pics of Momma Staghorn. She had her 34th birthday this year.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9249748

wow.. what a MOmma!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9249750

Debra that's baby...I'll get a new pic momma soon.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9249975

Mj, do you propagate your staghorns yourself? I have a huge one in the crutch of my biggest oak tree, and it's looking great this year, although the past two years it has not been happy. All the rain I'm guessing. Can I just detatch a 'plate' with a set of leaves on it, and mount it on some bark?

Sorry about the terrible picture, I have to stand on my step ladder to get a good shot of this fellow. Wish I could get a picture of the squirrels sleeping in the furry top of that fern. Hilarious!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9250404

Elaine,
You can pull pups off, you need a very sharp knife, and you need to take them before they get too big. Cut around the pup, I make sorta a "cone" then trim a bit depending on if I want to put it in a basket or put on a slab.
Here's Momma...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9250417

A few more pics...
Bleeding Heart Delectum on pasture fence. Red Shrimp plant,
well I thought I had posted more so will try again.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 5:30 PM

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9250423

Begonia Sophie Cecile, I can grow this like a perennial here, comes back every year. Variegated Salvia from Debra
White Veined Pipevine...has already been "Pruned to the ground" by the Pipvine Swallowtails twice this year...
Chocolate plant from Rita...getting ready to bloom
Hibiscus Snow Queen with a Purple Achinemes that I have no idea how it got in there and of course a weed...
I need a yard helper really really bad...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9250444

Mini coleus...I didn't realize it was really a mini coleus and should have planted it in the front of the bed...I'll
definitely take cuttings of this one.
And a sport of Coleus Blackberry waffle that I grew from seed a few years ago, and took cuttings as it is definitely not like it's parent, but that's ok.Cause I really like this one ! so it's a No name.
And Dipt in Wine...this photo does not even begin to do this Coleus justice. and it gets BIG...LOL

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 6:23 PM

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9250589

Martha, they are all just gorgeous!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9250623

Wow, that Dipt in Wine coleus is just gorgeous, Mj. I shouldn't even be thinking about any more coleus since I have sports of my Florida Sun Rose coleus all over the yard, and they're all blooming just like yours are, so they'll be seeding themselves, too. Definitely going to look for that one! The pink mini is really pretty too, but it would get lost in my horribly crowded beds.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9250724

Martha, I am envious of your gorgeous plants.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9250752

Holy Cow MJ - now that's a staghorn! I have one but it is a mini baby, seems to be doing well though. Your coleous look great, do they make it through the winter at all?

Dyzzy - do you cover your staghorn during chilly nights? That is a great idea to put one on the tree like that, I might give that a try.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9250788

dear martha, please save me some seeds from that salvia? I am sooo glad you posted it.. thank you for letting me know it grew good for you..
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9250852

Good morning, everyone. Deb, I have a variegated Salvia with red blooms - I can try to root some cuttings for you - will stick some today and see how they grow. I am gathering plants to send to Sherry, Deb - I called her and she sounds positive and feels she's doing o.k. - prayers work!
prita
Red Oak, TX

August 23, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9250887

Hello everyone!!
Great eye and brain candy, I had to google the Ant fern and the blue Puya.

Kay Jones , thanks very much for the id on the vine.
Thanks to everyone for their nice comments.

LiliMerci, I lost my Vietnamese ginger as well, waiting for zone 9 to list them again. Let's see the plant you have.

dyzzy, That is a Great Old Oak tree! Thanks for showing your burgundy mandevilla. My white ones are blooming non stop but nothing from the burgundy plant.
I love the Dwarf Poinciana. I have the Pink Dwarf on the top of my want list, they are no problem to overwinter.

Joeswife, I hope you enjoy my pictures, they are mostly plants that I have shown before, and are still blooming. I have lost most of my new plants being away from home earlier this spring.

Candlestick
Purple Allamanda
Cannas
Eggplant, I dont like eating them, but it's a fun plant to grow.

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 23, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9250889

mjsponies, the green eyed monster is showing its fangs again!! The painted lady is a beauty, I love all your pictures. Florida must be next to the garden of eden, everything is so big and lush. Mama Staghorn looks older than 34 yrs.

Rachel is our "go to" girl for Philos, I hope she comes back soon.

Floridabunie, good luck with your blue puya.

Red porterweed from mj
Pitcher plant
Anthurium

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita      

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9250975

Thank You, KayJones. I can't wait until sept 5th when she sees the progress dr. I am proud of my lil sis. Still worrying about plants , even while sick. LOL

As always, I love ALL the photos of plants and flowers I have never heard of. Feels like I am on vacation when I come here to visit. This am the patio and fences are lit up in about 20 different morning glorys. Hopefully over laborday weekend I can get some good shots of everything.
I lost my candlestick, but it is nice to see one so big, I don't think mine was even half that size.
How can you not like eggplant? LOL I love it!

Oh well, it is a cool plant to look at.
Floridabunnie, I love starting things from seeds , don't you? Gee I never heard of a puya until this month.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9251010

I don't do a thing to my big staghorn except occasionally throw some coffee grounds up there for it, and if it's dry weather for a long time I spray it with the hose a bit. It came through the two bad winters with no protection, although it did pout a bit until this year. It's really pretty much out of reach up there.

I didn't put it in the tree, and to be frank, I wouldn't have done that, but it is well established now and there's no moving it. Every time I look at it I wonder if it's making the tree rot down the middle from keeping it too wet. Sure hope not! We'd be devastated to lose any part of that tree. So I'd advise you to hang it in a basket, and be prepared for it to need a forklift and a chain to move it in the years to come! They have one at Selby Gardens that is the size of a Volkswagen.

New this morning, Peruvian daffodils! I've been waiting a year for these to put up flowers. The plants are nearly 3ft. tall, and now the flowers are also E-normous! Twice the size of the ones I've had before. Guess it's most likely thanks to all our rain.

I also finally have some white Achimenes. Hey, did you all notice the new photo software allows you to delete a photo from a post if you put in the wrong one? It's great!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 23, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9251068

Oh Elaine...I love the white achimenes. Do you have any seeds or corms to share? Or a place where to get them?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 23, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9251071

I can no longer load pictures...the "Browse" button has disappeared. Is anyone else having this problem?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9251165

Paula, I will have corms for the white Achimenes by fall. But I got them from McLure & Zimmerman, and they have all the colors. They were not expensive, either.

Use the "Choose a File" button to load pictures. It works the same as the "Browse" button but now you can delete the picture if you mess up (which I do) - there's a red X on the thumbnail. Yay!! for DG for this improvement!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 23, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9251222

Trying not to sound dumb...but where is the 'choose a file' button?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9251252

Below the reply box, under where it says "Upload images to your reply"

Above "Preview" and "Send"
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9251369

Elaine, don't forget to save me some white corms for my red ones - thanks!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9251641

Rita, the Green Eyed monster is here in Fl...I've always admired your gardens and wished I could give my babies the attention they deserve like you do.
Hopefully more pics in the next few days. Weather has been good today and should be for the next couple, so will be devoted to the ponies and their riders.
And I'm supposed to be retired from showing/coaching. They just won't let me go. I want to putz in the garden, play with the plants, chill and let my champions who
deserve a hard deserved retirement rest.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9251715

No worries, KayJones. I have a list of treasures I'll be sending you in another month. Guess the Achimenes might have to come along later, when the foliage dies down, though. These white ones were SO slow starting to bloom, they'll just barely be in their prime before the weather gets cold.

Mj, hard work, but it's nice to be in demand, too, right? Sounds like you'll get another break for rain after the weekend. Gotta tell you a funny story, a few years ago my DH, a consulting engineer, had the same beef. He wanted to not work as much. I suggested half-joking that he double his rate then he'd probably only get half as much work but the same money. To my great surprise, he did! And to his great surprise, he was just as busy after he jacked his price through the roof. But he complained less.

Here's my Opal Basil trying to look like a coleus.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 23, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9251737

That's just it...all mine says is:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

Preview Send
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 23, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9251795

I had the same problem. I clicked on "Tools" on top of page then clicked on Compatibily View to turn it off. After that when I logged on to another forrum I was able to see the box with "Choose a file" to get to my pictures. Hope this helps.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9251803

Paula, I think you have to be running windows explorer 9, and someone is talking to Melody about this now..
August, September and October are My Most Favorite months to be outside in the am ..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9251804

Hi Hi Hi Helena! ;D

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9251819

Hm, I'm using Firefox and had no problems. Somebody else on the Orchids forum said he contacted admin and they told him to log off, close out all the cookies he has running then log in again. I wouldn't know where to look for cookies . . . or how to close them, though.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9251913

Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal Raisin Elaine?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 24, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9251924

I don't think its Windows 9...isn't that the latest one? I have had this on my computer for a while and have never had a problem until two days ago when I was trying to load pics to the Begonia forum. It was there...I selected the pictures...but when I posted them, they were not there and ever since...no Browse, no choose file. Weird. I even logged out and logged back in, but it didn't help. I'll have to ask my tech son and see what he thinks.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 24, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9251999

Hi,hi Debra. Love your blooms,all beautiful this one is awesome http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9251803&extraimg=3

I have I E 9 sorry it didn't help. I also turned Pop up back on, cookies were going to be the next step. Hope your son can figure it out for you. I had my daughter and DH do it.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 6:51 AM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9252066

You can get to your Cookies through the "Tools" menu in FireFox.

Go to your "Tools" menu, then select "Options". Click the "Privacy" tab, and then click the "Show Cookies" button. You can do cookie stuff in there.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9252068

I can always find the chocolate chip cookies, Drew. They're all gone. Unfortunately.

Maybe Google "find cookies"? I just did this, and the first result looked like it might help!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9252116

There was a time when I could roll the curser over a person's name in the left column and whether they were members or subscribers and for how long would pop up. That feature no longer works for me although, after much discussion on the DG forum, it works fine for others.
It seems different browers make a big difference. And, if I have to search for cookies I want chocolate chip too.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9252145

Alice, the 'roll over' works for me.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9252225

mmmm, mmmmmhhhh!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9252254

So did I show you folks the beautiful Chocolate Cosmos that I saw growing on my trip? The flowers really do smell like chocolate!

Unfortunately, they aren't exactly tropical, I tried twice to grow them, and as soon as the nights got warm, they went 'toes up'.

These are growing in a pot at Milner Gardens in Parksville, BC. I'm convinced they're really a type of dahlia, not a cosmos but . . what do I know?? Second shot is just a lovely little patio at the same garden.

I did see some tropicals on my trip, though. There was a spot called 'Butterfly World' with a large greenhouse, c/w a kiwi vine with fruit on it, orchids and lots of other tropicals, not to mention butterflies of course. Even though a lot of the butterflies were tropical species, they really liked the buddleia flowers. Adaptable little fellows, eh?? (oops, there I go sounding Canadian again)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9252277

Elaine, here is an online picture of a chocolate Cosmos plant - take a look. It looks just like the plant you have posted:

http://blog.hgtvgardens.com/flower-of-the-day-chocolate-cosmos/
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9252281

Wow...What a red!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9252290

I tried growing the Chocolate Cosmos too...planted it in the late fall, came up the next spring, bloomed, then did not come back this spring.
Pooooooooooooooo
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9252361

Martha, I have the same problem with non-tropical perennials - they simply don't return after the first year - perhaps (as suggested by our state Master Gardener director) not enough chill time and too much humidity year around.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9252512

Chocolate cosmos was a bust here too; even the regular cosmos are puny by comparison with those grown where they have cooler nights. I saw some tremendous ones in the NC mountains last week.

There are bananas at my son's new home in Asheville, they must be M.Basjoo, I can't imagine others grow there.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9252540

I've had good luck with regular cosmos from seed, but only in spring, and only until the nights got warm.

Here's a gorgeous bed of them up in BC. My general rule of thumb has been "if it grows through summer in the Pac. NW it will grow in winter here". Bugs the heck out of my friends and family up there, but I keep inviting them to visit in winter saying our weather is just like their summer.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9252715

Looks like Basjoo to me Alice!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9252724

pretty! I love the butterfly shot. I have the choc cosmos growing along the garden border.. it is really easy to grow here..
those are some big nanas!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9252727

great pics all !! thanks..
?? did anyone elses tropicals struggle this summer from the heat??
i do have to say first..my gardens get ALOT of sun..so..that said ..
my bananas did great..they loved this hot summer..i kept them well watered..and fertilized..
my EE's .. only ones that did really well..got BIG were the ones that were under the bananas..or got some
afternoon part shade (not alot) from neighbours big walnut tree..
everything grew..and my EE's are all pupping again..sigh..LOL just ones in full sun..didnt get big
like usual.. :(
?? anyone elses experiences?? i know many areas in USA got alot more heat than we did..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9252735

My tropicals that are on the front porch and under the pear tree are thriving, but the rest are now inside, Tropicalnut. None of the brugs were doing well outside, a few are still out under the pear tree, they may bloom this fall, but the ones I brought inside are budding all ready. *sigh* I hate this heat, but we did get rain today, thank goodness.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9252748

Things were very strange here, nothing was blooming on schedule. The latest mystery is why are the crape myrtles just beginning to bloom now when they should have started blooming back in June?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9252800

Drought, heat, floods, solar storms, and a fantastic (bad) year for bugs plus a really warm winter and early spring. Yup, I'd agree it's been a strange season everywhere, it seems. You're right, Alice, our crepe myrtles were late starting, too. My little white one is still in full bloom.

We have not had extreme heat here, in fact today was the second day all summer we have reached 92deg. But we've had bouts of heavy rain like the deluge from TS Debby, then a week or two of no rain at all. Must be confusing for the plants. Everything jumped up after Debby, bloomed, and some things grew bigger and bloomed more than I've ever seen. Then it seems as if a lot of things just stopped for a while - too much top growth and not enough water to sustain it even with irrigation?

I've had big success with the one EE 'Blue Hawaii' that is in the pool cage, and my begonias are variable, some are going like crazy and others are just sitting there looking at me sadly despite the same care for all of them. My brugs have not bloomed in over a month, and even then it was just a couple of flowers here and there. Insects have been their big problem, but still . . . . I water them every day and feed them generously. Who knows. Another deluge expected here from TS Isaac starting Sunday - maybe it will 'correct' things?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9252904

I think night time temps have a lot to do with blooming also. My passies pretty much shut down from mid July or so until mid Sept. or even later till there's more of a cool down in the evening.

Deb your Brug cross is budding up again like crazy...the plant itself looks like poo-poo after a bout with Spider mites, and I ended up moving it to afternoon shade. This
summer sun here is just too much for them to have full sun. Monster white has not been OUT of bloom at all. But it's on the north side of the house and gets filtered shade from a lemon tree that we only let grow to feed the Giant Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillars.

Cyrtosperma johnstonii wants a real pond

Orchid SL Jinn Jungle Beau and another one " something or other" Gem Sunspots...

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 5:15 AM

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9253688

Stay safe Elaine and Kay and anyone else in Isaac's path.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9253704

Elaine, are you home or away? If your away do you have someone to batten down the hatches, (so to speak) before TS/Hurrican Isaac arrives? If you are away and need someone to check, let me know I'll be glad to run over for ya.

Jan
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9253727

Alice, thanks for thinking of me. This will be my first real storm, so if they suggest we evacuate, we are ready to head to Hotlanta.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9253806

I'm here, thanks Jan. I have great neighbors that take care of things when I'm away, too. From the looks of the 5pm map, the storm is heading further west anyway. I might have to go get the sailboat from the club if there is a surge, but other than that, no plans to batten down this time. Just bringing the orchids in under the overhangs so they don't drown in the rain. KayJones is in the crosshairs, though. Bury all your pots, and git outa dodge if it comes your way, Kay.

Upside is, 3 days of clouds and rain coming up - it's planting time! I have more heliconias to go in out front, and am going to put a bunch of my Achimenes in around them, since they seem to be mostly coming up purple.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9253841

I figured you had folks, but just wanted to offer. Hope all goes well for the boat. Yes rain which is always a good thing, just too bad it can't go out west where they need it.

Jan

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9253887

I am going to worry about you guys down there in Isaac's path.
love the purple achimines and the heliconias, maybe some day I will try them

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9253959

Kay, I haven't checked the weather site yet this morning and don't know what is happening today but I can tell you if it looks like the storm is coming your way - get out now. If you wait until they call for an evacuation the roads will be jam packed and it will be like the world's longest parking lot. This area was last evacuated in 2000, we owned this house but were living out of state and had renters here so we were not personally involved but the governor called for an evacuation and all of a sudden our tenants and neighbors were stuck on the interstate for 14 hours, in the rain I might add. Good thing there are lots of wooded areas along SC's highways because everyone had to use the woods when nature called. One neighbor still carries a potty bottle in their car in case that ever happens again.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9254029

Kay it's looking more and more like you may be on the worst side of the storm. I think I'd be at least locking everything down.
Looks like we'll just get rain and some wind, but here probably no worse than the normal thunderstorms we get.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9254033

Alice, I have Grandsons who have to go to school and a very old dog, so won't likely leave unless absolutely necessary. I am watching the reports very often, but they tend to sensationalize every report. Several of my neighbors tell me to sit tight - they've been here 20-30 years and have never evacuated. Florida's building codes require that buildings be constructed to withstand 75 m.p.h. straight line winds. Of course, one of my main concerns is my plants - I will bring in as many as I can, but I have lots of Adeniums and Plumerias - a big worry right now.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9254092

I do tend to be a little hyper having lived through the major destruction of Hugo - 200 miles inland! I just don't trust storms. Remember, the schools will be closed and most houses that were constructed prior to Andrew do not meet the same standards that are required today.

We can always help to rebuild your plant collection but we can't rebuild you. :-)
Stay safe.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9254312

Ditto!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9254318

Alice, you are a good friend - thanks for your love!

I won't take any chances - I'm not worried about the plants at all - I've started from scratch so many times - I can do it again.

The schools are already closed in south Florida, and I know they will be here, too. I will go if the winds get over 45 m.p.h.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9254331

I know you will weather thru just fine, KayJones, and if you lose anything, plant wise, we will get ya started again. Just you and the gkids get the heck outta dodge when they tell ya too.

gotta show off the after rain yard..even got enough rain water for the new aquarium yay!

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9254435

Finally broke the 10' barrier. Family and lots of friends in Mobile. Hope they will be safe also!

Thumbnail by homer1958

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9254443

OvO !!!! Drew.. Awsome! hope everyone who is danger of damaging storms stay safe.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9254480

Beautiful, Deb - just gorgeous!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9254504

Beautiful morning glories, Deb. Glad you got rain. Drew that big guy is really gorgeous! What's the pretty shrub to the left in your picture? Are those white flowers, variegated leaves, or just shiny leaves reflecting in the flash?

Um, this might be a good time to invite your family in Mobile to visit. It's in the middle of the "cone of error" right now.

I just got home from the Sailing Squadron with the boat, and it is safely tucked away. We had a strong squall while we were letting the mast down, horizontal rain going fast enough to sting your face, black clouds racing by, very impressive. Phew! That's my share of excitement for the week . . .
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9254555

Thanks Alice! That is my fig tree. Leaves are emerald on top and kinda silver green on bottom! I think it's a Turkey Fig. I have a bad habit of not writing down plant names. I have other family on the Northeast side of Montgomery (Auburn) They are going there, should the cone of error be "correct"!

Thanks Deb!

Kay Jones; you stay safe in that Northeast Quadrant!

Somebody remind me to cut the dead leaves off Please!

Thumbnail by homer1958

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9254599

Hi All -

Dyzzy - your purple Achimenes is awesome - I love the deep color.

Deb - your multicolored morning glories are so pretty. I have the moonflower and have been debating on whether to get more, especially the vibrant blue.

Hope everyone stays safe! We're getting heavy rain and wind gusts from the bands, but nothing too terrible yet.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9254621

floridABUNNIE: DO NOT BUY ANY MORNING GLORY SEEDS//// oops//// dmail me and I will send you a lot for you to play with.

Drew, cut those yellow leaves off! That is what I have been doing all day here,in between munching snacks and tagging the vines.( I am tagging the mgs such as large white, or large pink white no mai. etc/ lots of NOIDS there. Yellow leaves are a no no for me here. I hate them! LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9254724

Just checking in for the first time in a long time. Worried about all of you with Isaac rolling across you. I am less than 10 miles from Rita and can't even begin to duplicate her Eden. We are at risk for tornados in the spring. Never any warning...just on top of you all at once. I share your anxiety and am praying that none of you will have ill winds at your doors.

Christi

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9254779

Good to hear from you Christi!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9254798

Christi, where have you been?! We miss you, Lady Bug - we love you - don't stay away for so long. Is everything o.k. in your world?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9254851

Christi {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} good to see you!

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9255366

Just a little hiccup this week. DH is having knee replacement in the morning. He has been in such pain for so long that he and I are looking forward to it. Probably be a little uncomfortable for awhile but there is light at the end of the tunnel. He has a very positive attitude and that counts a lot.

Still concerned for all of those in the path of Isaac.

So glad to connect with this wonderful group of people again. I have truly missed you.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9255543

GAgirl1066 wrote:That's just it...all mine says is:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

Preview Send

GAgirl, are you still having problems seeing the upload button? if so, try switching to a different browser. if that isn't possible , or doesn't resolve the problem, please use this link to contact us at the helpdesk for some trouble-shooting tips: http://davesgarden.com/helpdesk/b_gardentalk/

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 27, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9255739

Thank Terry,
Yes, it still says the same...I have never had any problems before. I'll try that..Thanks
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 27, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9255751

Ok...don't have the BROWSE button, but I do see CHOOSE A FILE...so I'll try that.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9255933

That's perfect - that is the button you're looking for :-)
prita
Red Oak, TX

August 27, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9255997

Hello Everyone!

Kay Jones and everyone in the path of Isaac, please stay safe, especially Jeri11 in Lousiana.

GAgirl1066, I think you found your solution, you will love this new improvement!

LouC, nice to see you posting! I'm wishing your DH good luck with his surgery tomorrow.

ardesia that is a Great looking place your son bought. It seems to be landscaped already but I know you will find an empty places for more plants. lol

A few old favorites, Single Rangoon Creeper just started blooming
Double creeper on it's second flush
Devil's backbone
noid Begonia

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 27, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9255999

dyzzy, I would have loved to see you getting that mast down in the storm, you are my kind of girl! Great looking Peruvian flowers, it's a shame that their bloom is short lived.

Mjsponies, you are fortunate that you work with things you love. There is no need to retire from them, they will keep you going. I was so taken and focused that everything except the Johnstonii went blurry after viewing the picture, not because I lost my good glasses. It seems to be very happy where it is. lol

Joeswife, if you would like, I can include some candlestick seeds in my next package. They are easy to get going in early spring, the ones I started are about to bloom. The plant in the picture is the one I overwintered. You must have gotten quite a lot of rain, your garden is bursting with beauty. It has been raining in Texas but not at my house, I got a sprinkle last night.

From joeswife ?
A few Texas Native

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 27, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9256001

Homer1958, Great Growing!!!!

Tropicalnut777. Glad to hear that you are having a great growing season. It seems as if Drew is too, the plants he has shown are monsters. I, on the other hand am not having any luck this year with EEsbut my flowering tropicals are blooming their heads off.

floridabunnie, I have a little variegated heliconia that is doing very well, do you have a picture of the mother plant? I hope you survive Isaac without any damage.

Bromeliad with lots of pups

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9256048

Thanks Rita!

As you have all noticed... if it doesn't get big, I really don't want to grow it!

Safe Labor Day to all!

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 5:51 PM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 27, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9256278

Rita,
Your begonia looks like 'withaloochee'. to me. What is the bloom in your last photo next to the begonia. Very unusual!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9256441

Rita, I'd like to know what the pretty dark red flowered vine climbing up your pine tree is?

I just had to rescue my big EE - it went for a swim in the pool. Still pretty gusty around here at times, and a few fast showers flying by, but for the most part, the storm has passed. Phew!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9256574

Good morning, everyone! We didn't get anything more than a few gusts of wind and sprinkles - it passed us by, too.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9256683

yay! DO YOU FEEL LUCKY? OR BLESSED? I am so relieved. Beautiful bloms and gardens, Rita. Everyone here has such wonderful green hearts, erm.. thumbs... yeal that.
prita
Red Oak, TX

August 28, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9257041

Hi all!!
Good news from Kay and dyzzy, lets hope that Isaac is as gentle to Louisiana as he was to Florida.

GAgirl1066 thanks for the begonia id. The plant in the picture is a Desert Bird of Paradise. Caesalpinia gilliesii.

dyzzy that is a Evergreen Wisteria. Millettia reticulata.

cactus plants
Japanese blood grass
Bauhinia, yellow orchid tree
Philo.
I forgot the name of this little red hibiscus plant

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9257073

My M. reticulata has been in the ground for 3 years and never gets over 8" tall - it doesn't like my soil.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9257740

love them all.. here is a tropical from a friend in southern florida, I need to ask what it is ..
leaves in first pic, bloom in second pic
more tropicals from another friend in florida.. love you guys so much for sharing with me..
some red white and blue
my thunberiga? is blooming!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 29, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9257900

Debra,
That is Pseuderanthemum alatum - chocolate plant. I have one...I love it. It does reseed and you will probably find them coming up in other plants next year. I have a couple left and I have been trying to catch the seed, so I can have a controlled environment for them. That is one of those plants that's very hard to find.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9257902

Here's info. on your first plant, who's common name is chocolate plant and it's botanical name is Pseuderanthemum alatum. This plant came to us from Floridaheat aka Patti. It will spread like wildfire, via seeds.

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week224.shtml

The second picture has red shrimp plant and mexican flame vine in it.

The last picture is of Thunbergia 'erecta'.

The second picture has red shrimp plant and mexican flame vine in it.

The last picture is of Thunbergia 'erecta'.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9257954

thank you for help! Do they look okay?

back to heat now.. oh, btw, I have told all the passions and all the other tropicals that are supposed to bloom and have not yet, that they have exactly 30 days left to perform outside. LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9258007

Deb, your plants look a great deal MORE than o.k. - they are gorgeous!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9258662

Hi Rita - I have attached the pic of the mother plant of the heliconia I sent. No blooms yet, but I am still hoping I might see a glimpse of one this year. Your japanese blood grass is very cool, I will have to look for this. I think ornamental grass is so under-utilized.

Debra - I love your thumbergia pic.

GAGirl - the chocolate plant is cool as well. I will have to look for some of this. I kind of like plants that reseed themselves and show up in other places around the garden - kind of gives the yard that natural look.

Heliconia
Polynesian Orchid
Chinese Hat
White Chocolate Jasmine (it does smell just like white chocolate)

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9258684

Bonnie, I'm sure one of us can get you a start of the chocolate plant.

What is the botanical name of your 'Polynesian Orchid'?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 29, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9258695

Bunnie,
I love the chinese hat...too cute! The third one is a medinilla (if you don't know already)...its beautiful. i have one but it hasn't bloomed yet. It needs repotting badly!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9258748

Hi Kay - If someone has a chocolate plant that they want to part with - I will gladly take it!

Thanks GAGirl - the link to the plant is http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62134/

I planted mine in the ground this last weekend, I think all of the rain helped it as it has new leaves.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9258954

love the chinese hat, too florida bunny. I just planted some of the seeds from my little choclate plant, so if one pops up, I will send it your way.. I also like things that pop up around the yard.. gotta have that white choclate jasmine.. I love jasmine.
KayJones, the 4th pic is a baby setosa, I started it from seed for you.. ipomoea setosa it gets big soft thorny looking stems and nice lav pink blooms ... the leaves are HUGE...3rd pic is lav moon vine, the stems look like rose thorns, but are soft, and it blooms at night. Started one of those for you as well, both are prennials in your zone ( I think) f anyone wants seeds of these two lanky beautiful vines, ( they do get beefy) let me know..
last pic is of the native blue day flower, wanders like a jew, blooms one day, posp seeds everywhere and roots in the wierdest places, also a good filler. I pull them out when they are overtaking an area. easy peasy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9258958

I brought the Varigated ginger in to debug, clean up and stop sufferRing in the heat.. the hibiscus downstairs is all flushed out, so tall and big
( TREE ) i KNOW i WILL HAVE TO CUT IT SOON, i AM WAITING UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE, i HAVE SLOWLY BEEN BENDING THE BRANCHES DOWN. i USE WOOLLEY LIONS YARN TO TIE AND BEND AND SHAPE AND FORM LIVING WALLS AND THINGS.
oops caps lock and too lazy to re-do...
floridabunnie, , I am getting your mg seeds together.. should be okay to send stuff in another couple of weeks. My white knight brugmasnia from Tropicman has a bloom on it downstairs, after two years finally. it had 6 buds, but 4 fell off out side so I brought it in a couple weeks ago. I was just hoping for a double, but it is a single small white.
here is I. setosa...passion vine from KayJones is vining ( off the patio living wall north east side) I build my living walls with the woolley yarn and bamboo stakes and sunflowers to hold the morning glorys and other vines..I had to bend the sunflowers down to keep them from knocking the power lines, so now I have arches of sun flowers and morning glorys as part of my outside patio room, forming my living walls.. here is one view tonight..3rd pic is the morning before I did the arching..here is the sunflower right behind where I sit now.. ready for the vines all around the patio to join up on the yarn..last pic is how it looks right now...

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9259032

Amazing and beautiful, Debra!!!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9259054

Rita how old is that Evergreen Wisteria ? I didn't realize they got that big. I got mine because I'd heard they stay small...I might need to move it...it's on a wooden fence.

Elaine, maybe get that EE a lifejacket ?

Bunnie add me to the list that thinks that Chinese hat is pretty cool.

Deb, only MG's I have this year are volunteers from last year. Maybe I'll do some again next year.

Passion flower Nephrodes, Clerodendrum Musical notes, Clerodendrum Blue Butterfly

Family of Sandhill Cranes in the pasture

Variegated Brom ----Rita I think you sent it last year...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9259071

Martha, the evergreen wisteria can be pruned into anything you want it to be like a shrub or evena hedge. It is the most accomodating of plants. This is one is vining on a pergola in my neighborhood.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9259076

KayJones, thanks!
Gosh, can someone save me some seeds of that wisteria? I would be curious to see if I can keep it growing over winter inside.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9259077

Debra, it spreads by underground roots - let me see if I have any pups around the mother plant - THEN, you will have to remind me to send it to you! LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9259186

Beautiful pictures everyone! Deb, the little dayflower is just heavenly. I love that wisteria, too, but can't think of anywhere I have room for it.

Come to think if it, . . . if I can rent a suit of armor and get somebody to remove one of my huge bougainvilleas, that would be a great spot for a wisteria like that.

Thereby hangs a tale - I was backing my car out of the garage last night and I hear this terrible "nails on the chalkboard" sound. The big bougie beside the driveway has suddenly claimed that whole side, flopping down to about 2ft. off the ground and is screeching along the body of the car! I had to get to a meeting, so when I got back and it was still light, I parked outside the thorny mess- for those of you who "love" bougainvillea from afar, yes it IS beautiful but it has many huge nasty thorns! Got my loppers and proceeded to do "a little trimming". About an hour after dark and a gallon of sweat later, I had mound of prickly branches the size of a volkswagen. I can now drive my car into the garage again without scratching the paint off it. Also can open the front gate, which come to think of it may be why the package I've been expecting hasn't been delivered yet . . .

So, there's a down side to tropical gardening, going from zero to Sleeping Beauty's castle in one rain storm! Oh, and of course pruning bougies just makes them grow all the more, so it's an ongoing battle. )) big sigh (( I just went out to get these pictures and spent another 20 minutes adding to the pile. Reward was the pretty little water lily. First pic is my variegated bromeliad, Mj, I think the one you showed above is from me. Glad it's finally blooming for you!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9259399

Elaine, Great Thank You for letting me know. There "used' to be a tag in the pot...I tipped it out to see and it is long gone to where ever it is tags on plants go off too.
I now have those slip thru tags and they seem to be working much better so I'll make a proper tag for it now.
I've given up on bougies, they freeze in the ground here and don't come back, and I'm not gonna deal with one in a pot.
Your pond looks so cool and inviting !

Alice...gonna show SO that Arbor...hint hint...LOL..
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9259822

Thanks all for the comments about the Chinese Hat. I thought it was so unique when I saw it.

Deb - thanks again for the MG seeds! I love, love, love your sunflowers. Is that night blooming Jasmine I see in your middle pic? I finally got the lubbers to stop chewing on mine this year. I have a small obsession with jasmine. I found a jasmine tree this year and the blooms smell so unique! I can't wait until it gets bigger.

MJ - very cool passie! I have a few seedlings and am hoping that they continue to do well.

Dyzzy - I have the same love/hate relationship with bougainvillea. I had the pink/white one and had it on one end of the house. I got tired of bandaging my husband (and hearing the complaints) every time he mowed the front yard - so out it came. I looked like I got in a fight with a badger by the time I was done - LOL!

Ardesia - your wisteria is to die for!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9259851

One more bougainvillea story - we had a low hedge of dwarf bougies at our other house that the previous owners had planted. They never did very well, and weeds would grow up under, around and through them. When we would go out to weed those things, my DH would say "hm, another session of Weed 'n Bleed, huh?" Even with thick leather gloves with gauntlets, we'd both give blood over that exercise.

At least these ones are huge, and (usually) up out of the way.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9259876

Dyzzy - If my bougie looked like that I might not have ripped it out. I agree with your husband about the Weed n' Bleed!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9259991

o my gosh.. LOL I had NO CLUE they got that big! I have to show my sis in law this photo.. she clips hers in pots and brings them in every winter, and then takes them out and clips them again and off they grow.
Florida bunny, I have jasmine sambuc, night blooming jasmine, and did have a yellow one, but it didn't make it. I have had my other two for three years now and they just bloom all winter inside the basement gardens.
lavender moon vine
assorted morning glories

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9260025

That pic was taken back in Feb. There's another bougie just as big at the other corner of the fence, and they both bloomed again in May. The other one is closer to one of the big oak trees, so it's not quite as vigorous as this one by the gate, though. Thank goodness!

There's a big old house along the street from us that has several quite a bit bigger than mine, too. Probably near 20ft. tall and wide. I'll have to try to snap a picture of them from the car next time I'm driving by.

One thing I can tell you for sure, nothing but snakes and birds get through a bougainvillea hedge!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9260309

Deb, your morning glories are really just beautiful. I like the shot with the windmill.

Beach buttercup, the white version, in bloom at last. It's another thing that has taken all summer to get going.

Here's my pot of purple Achimenes - I think I posted one up above that was dark purple vinca, and named it wrong. Sorry!

More flowers coming on the variegated Costus - and more variegation, too! It needs a bigger pot, again already.

My big EE that went swimming - I think maybe he didn't like the chlorine much.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9260456

Elaine, I can relate to having to re-pot plants - it will be an all-day event!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9260570

Elaine, maybe EE wants to be a Blonde ?

Black Bat Plant blooming and Hoya cummingina

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9260650

Now Martha - that TEARS IT! I have wanted a black bat plant!!! It is just beautiful!!!!
prita
Red Oak, TX

August 31, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9260868

Hello All!!
Those were all very interesting and enjoyable garden photos. Due to all the helpful tips and advice given, I feel like I have improved immensely. I have been re-arranging my plants in the hoop houses according to their needs and requirements not just because there was a vacant spot.

Joeswife, I am your #1 fan! I so enjoy all your gardening adventures and look forward to your post. I see you in my garden everyday through the plants you have sent me over the years. On a bad note, I lost the Thunbergia mysorensis vine.

mjsponies, Awesome pictures!! the Evergreen Wisteria is almost 20 yrs old. I saw your Alligator fern in the background of one of your pictures. Will you please give me a few tips on the care of it? The leaves on mine are turning black and falling off.

Alocasia Wentii
Philo.Rising Sun
Costus Specosus

prita
Red Oak, TX

August 31, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9260869

floridabunnie, thanks very much for showing me your Heliconia plant, I hope it blooms for you this summer. It is similar to a variegated pine cone ginger I once had. Love your red Chinese hat plant as well and have the purple/pink that has been blooming since spring.
I have the Chocolate plant and will be happy to send you a start but need to transplant and give it a little sun before mailing. Will d-mail to let you know when it is posted.

dyzzy, It is great to see your plants thrivng!! Sorry that you had a bad experience with your bougainvillea. I don't have to worry too much about them getting that big here in Red Oak. There are a few thornless varieties that I am trying to find for my hanging baskets.
Is that a Pony tail palm in the background of your bougy. Trash picture? WOW

Naked lady
buds on Plumeria and Dragon fruit plants

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9260881

Kay...re: Black Bat...l think I know someone who can send you a pup...;-)

Rita, Alligator Fern likes Bright light but NO sun, and it's not happy about drying out at all. Also I've found that it's not real happy about being pot bound in the least little bit.
I've up potted it several times thinking I was staying ahead of it...so next time I'm going to over pot. Spray with a fungicide and let sit in the shade for a few days before returning to bright light. Don't let it dry out, and it's a heavy feeder.
Rita I have Rising Sun also...seems to be a slower grower ??? I'd like to move to a basket but am worried about over potting.

Jee, it's was "Only 89 here today, and the greenhouse "only" went to 85 percent humidity...and the only things in there are the stuff that loves it...I have to
take a towel with me to go in there and work. I feel like a walking sponge.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9260908

Oh, Martha, I can relate to the humidity and heat - mine only has the Night-Blooming Cereus in it and they don't seem to mind the climate. I also have my new vanilla Orchid (thanks, Floridaheat!) in there - thought it had rotted, but a small bit came back.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9260917

Love that golden Naked Lady, they're so graceful. I planted some bulbs of the red ones a couple of years ago but haven't yet seen a flower. Is the white flower the Costus Specosus? Just lovely!

LoL, yes, that is a nice little ponytail palm that just carries on out front there with no care and attention at all. I'll tell her you noticed! It's doing much better now that there is a little bit of irrigation water going to that bed.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9261032

Yes, Rita - let me agree with Elaine - all your flowers are gorgeous! I really like the yellow spider lily, too.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 31, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9261077

Love the yellow spider lily! Elaine. don't give up..I had my first one open just yesterday and several more are poking their heads up. If you need more, let me know, just dug up some at the other house...may not bloom now, but oh well..gotta get them moved!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 31, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9261096

Deb - I just love seeing the pics of your morning glories, and the windmill is a nice touch.

MJ - your bat plant is awesome! I have admired these for a while - they look hard to grow, are they? Do you have your's in the ground or a pot?

Rita - What is the plant in your 4th pic above in the large hanging basket? We had to cut a large limb from our Royal Poincianna and it asked my husband to leave a stub so that I could hang a large plant from it. Plus I think I might place some epiphytes bromeliads in the crook.

Dyzzy - I had buttercups at our house in C. FL, they popped up everywhere. I didn't mind though. . .

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9261236

bunnie, I've got the bat's both in pots and the ground. My white one is in pots but I'm thinking I'll probably put one in the ground also. They come back a little slower in the spring than the blacks do. I've got Green Bat's also, in pots and after they make some more pups I'll put them in the ground also. gotta keep snail/slug bait around them and they like good drainage and not to dry out too much.

Rita, Glad you posted the pic of the Philo. Rising Sun...gonna show it to my little guy...
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9261319

MJ - do the bats prefer sun or shade?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9261328

Martha, is the culture of the bat comparable to kangaroo paws?
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9261349

Good question Kay - Martha, can you compare it to another plant and how to grow? This might give me an idea of what I should expect.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9261378

Kay/Bunnie
I can't compare to Kangaroo Paws has the 2 times I tried to grow it I killed it...won't try again..( as tempting as they are when I see them)
The Bats grow mostly in morning sun/afternoon shade, some get a sun/shade/sun/shade kinda thing.
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 1, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9261587

Hey everybody!

mjsponies, I thank you very much for the info. on the Alligator fern, I will definitely have to re-pot and relocate.
I can tell that you are getting the Philo. bug. lol. You have shown some of my favorites. My Rising Sun is planted in the ground. I admire anyone that can get those bat plants to thrive, I love them but after several years of trying, I have to admit failure.

dyzzy, that is a costus Specosus. Would you like a start of it after blooming?
The Bromeliad, like mj's from you, is doing great. It is not as pretty as her's but has a few pups.
That is quite a big Ponytail plant, can we see a picture, pretty please?

KayJones thanks, that is only one out of six bulbs planted. Darn squirrels, they must be tasty because all the red ones are gone as well.

GAgirl 1066, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! and many more.

floridabunnie, that is a Bromeliad Aechmea Alvarez. It needs to be in the sun where the colors would really pop. It is variegated green and yellow with a pink line down the center, the flowers are cool looking, very unusual!

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9261615

Happy birthday, Paula!!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9261663

happy birthday Paula! beautiful bat flower, MJ. I love the Daturas, Rita. I am glad the Lilac de Fleur bloomed for you in an earlier post.
Hi, KayJones.. hot here and dry.. hope you all have a safe weekend.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9261733

Hi, Debra!!! I sure wish you and Sherry were here - it's BEAUTIFUL!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9261875

Here's the pic of the Ponytail, Rita. It's nearly 8ft tall now, could not get the light very well, but ..

Alice, here's my bigger of the two Begonia Don Millers you gave me - this one sort of 'flopped' over after all the hard rains we had last week, and despite my best efforts to stake it up again, it is sprouting from the horizontal stems. So I gave up and just put a couple of handfuls of potting soil over the exposed roots. I think it's going to be a monster - but wasn't this the one you said stayed nice and small for you? Just joshing you, I love it and the bigger it gets the better.

Speaking of monsters, third picture is B. Alba Odorata still growing and blooming and refusing to be photographed.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9261920

oh my gosh... I shall hide as my donmiller is still in a pot and still kinda small.. and my pony tail palm looks like a tiny flea compared to yours Elaine.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9261925

Hi All -

Relaxing after a long day working in the yard (what else, right?) We had to cut a large branch from our Royal Poincianna last Sunday before the storm came. It was hanging over our roof a little and we were worried that if we got high winds we would see it up close and personal. We had to do it on Sunday because my husband (who travels for work) cut his trip short and arrived Saturday night just as the airport closed. Needless to say, I thought I was "helping" and went to pull a limb he trimmed that was laying on the roof and a larger one came tumbling down right on my arm. I'm OK, just a little bruised. Anyway, we finished cleaning up our mess today.

Dyzzy - love the pic of the ponytail. I just love these when they get bigger. How long has your neighbor had this one in the ground?

Happy B-Day Paula!

Rita - thanks for the id on the bromeliad. I had my husband leave a nub on the tree so that I could hang a big basket from it. I think I'll get a big basket like you have with a brom as it is a part sun area.

Here are some pics from this week.

Epiphyte bromeliad in bloom (again, it's bloomed like crazy this year!)
Varigated devils backbone
Gold Rimmed Swallowtail buzzing my Jasmine Tree
Blue Pea Vine

y ephiphyte brom blooming (again, it's bloomed like crazy this year!)

y epiphyte brom in bloom (again, it's been non-stop this year!)

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9262099

LOL Elaine, you do have a way with begonias. My Don Miller is in a pot up on my deck and it has a nice shape, it never droops over like some of the other begs. What I have noticed however is that if a piece breaks off and falls into another container, it will root all by itself within days. I can't tell you how many cuttings of that one I have given away.

A very happy belated birthday to you Paula. Hope you had a wonderful day - maybe you went to the coast???

Thanks to those very strange widely outer bands of Isaac that went up the east coast we finally got a few inches of much needed rain. All of a sudden the plants are getting that lush look they should have by this time of year.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 2, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9262303

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Yes I am at the coast visiting all the nurseries.my family left me yesterday to do other things but they are on the way down to take me to lunch.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9262792

Bunny, that Ponytail palm is actually on our property in an odd spot I would never have put it. It gets neglected and ignored because I drive by it when I go in and out of the garage, but hardly ever go near where it's growing. I have literally done nothing in the way of landscaping in the front yard since we moved in nearly 5 years ago. Most of the space is in full sun all day long, so it's a weedy "mow what grows" road easement that my neighbor mows for me in exchange for well water. It's very hot and dry especially in spring and fall when there's nearly no rain. We finally put in a well last winter, so I now have enough cheap water to irrigate that area, and can afford to plant it and make it look pretty. Yay!

The ponytail has only survived (and not grown much until this year) because it's in the shade of the big oak tree on the "other" side of the driveway. It's one of those plants that you sort of walk by and never notice, until suddenly it's grown 2ft, and looks really nice. I do sometimes take off its yellow leaves, but I've never fertilized it or anything.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9262850

Hi Dyzzy - For some reason I thought it was a neighbor's plant, I'm sure I read something wrong. Anyway, I love it. I don't see ones that large very often and always think they are so neat. It's something that you've never done anything to it and it's grown that large! That's a positive in my book!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9263082

Good morning, everyone! I hope your Labor Day holiday is fabulous! Take a moment to remember all those who make this great nation what it is - freedom, enterprise and blessed!

Let's post recent pics of ourselves again - it's fun to know to whom you are 'talking':

Here is a pic. of me on Mother's Day, this year:

Thumbnail by KayJones

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9263135

I always knew from your posts that you are a beautiful lady. I was right.

Christi
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9263334

Christi, thanks - that's nice of you to say, but I look every one of my 62 years!
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 3, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9263423

Hello All!!

Kay Jones, I would like to second what LouC said, you are a beauty! I will have to find a recent picture to post later.

dyzzy, thanks very much for posting that Ponytail palm, you are a lucky lady to have it in your front yard. I tried to win a variegated poneytail on e-bay but it got too expensive for me. I am amazed at how much your begonias have grown!

floridabunnie, thanks for posting your garden pictures, love that Bromeliad. Will you please post it again when the bloom is open? I have a jasmine from Rj that is starting to bloom, maybe you can id it for me.

GAgirl1066, that sounds like you are having a wonderful birthday. Show what you found at the nursery, we might want to send you back to get us one. lol

1-4 from rj
#5 from dyzzy

NEW THREAD!!!!!! please join us on the new thread #125
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278419/

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9263494

Great idea, KayJones. That's a lovely picture of you.

Wish I had a nice picture of myself, but I'm always the one behind the camera. All I have are pictures where I'm covered with hats and sunglasses like this one taken at a concert up in BC a couple of weeks ago. My DH just turned 60 the day before this was taken. I am also 60, last March. Redheads must keep the sun off . ..

Rita, those are all lovelies, esp the frilly Hibiscus. Glad your red hib is doing great, you should have some flowers starting pretty soon on there, and if the winter's not too cold it will re-seed. Don't be afraid to prune it to make it whatever shape you want. This one shot up a single stem to about 9ft. tall while we were on vacation. I cut it down to 3ft about 3 weeks ago and here it is going crazy again.

ps. OOps, I should have put this post on the NEW THREAD! will copy it over.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 3:39 PM

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 4, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9264544

ooo, Elaine those onion rings look yummy! LOL
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 4, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9264754

Thought I would share this...I was shocked to see the blooms and so big! I posted it on the cactus forum, but thought you ladies may want to see.

Can't wait for it to open!!

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9264787

Oh, it's gorgeous! Please post it on the new thread, if you haven't already done so.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 4, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9264829

oops, thought I was...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9272065

Elaine, you two sure look like you are having a great time, sending belated birthday wishes to DH from us.

Jan & Richard
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9272151

Jan, go to the new thread and post a pic. of you and your husband, please!!!!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9273606

Oh Elaine, you have got to be kidding, I hate having my picture taken, (those pictures have a way of looking just like me...LOL)

Jan
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9273836

TeeHee, Jan - ain't that the truth!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9273882

for sure KayJones

Jan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America