Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Spiders, Creepy Crawlers and Things with Wings!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thought i'd start a thread for all the crazy insects and things with wings that have been plaguing us this summer.
Spiders and bee's seem to be running amuck here in Maine and we were attacked by immature june-bugs the other night. Seriously killed over 100 in a half hour on my front deck, did you know they bite?
Ronnie has had some neat looking visitors (Katydid) and some creepy ones too(cluster of red bugs).
I thought we could post them here and give Allison some creepy idea's for her Halloween display all at the same time. ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

1.& 2.) Is much lighter colored than what im used to seeing. She? made her web in my heather.
3) This is the darker color im used to, this one made a web in my sib. iris foliage.
4.) Did not see the spider that went with this web, but the web was face height...5ft. It was built in a dying lower branch of my fir tree out front.
5.) This looks like a big beautiful squash bloom, and it is....but how often do you see 3 bee's side by side inside one flower?

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Bee's.....I need not say much on them, you all know what happened to Brian. I do believe it could of been a fatal had it been someone else beside my BRUTUS, I mean Brian. (grin)

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Horn worms...can't forget about them! However, we sprayed once and haven't had a problem since.

The best kind of things with wings! Birds!!!!!!!!
Cedar Waxwing was caught inside my hubby's truck one morning, it flew out after I opened all the doors.
Five days later I saw or rather heard the babies up in the nest.....glad I got her out of the truck. :)

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad the birdie got out, too.

Spiders creep me out, but I am mesmerized watching them make a web or wrap up anything in it.

DGD in Annapolis caught a katydid and had it in a container. Needless to say it didn't make it. I tried to tell her it would be better for creatures if they were left in their habitat. She put it in the frig to see if that would help. Wonder what her mom says when she finds it there.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh my!!! LOL

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice thread will have to see what i can find outside:)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Great thread!! Love my bugs and bird too!

Celeste I like your web shots, real creepy looking!

Some you may have seen but I'll put them here anyway...

Borer beetle, nasty tree root eater...Leopard moth...,One of Brian's buddies...
strange moth,can't find a good ID for it....dragon flies are welcome anytime!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice! I love that Leopard Moth, it's just so cool looking!!

Thomaston, CT

Great photos! Love the cedar waxwing, although they love to eat the farm's blueberries....my son's FIL is getting an audio cd that will supposedly scare them away...that leopard moth is fascinating...don't believe I've ever seen one....latest to get stung was my son weed whacking....about 6 stings before he realized what was happening....

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Monarch
Fritillary
My friend the woodpecker...if there is no suet in the feeder he'll tap on the house until we fill it!
I believe this is why he/she has been so demanging...if I'm not mistaken, this is a baby Wood P.
They abandoned this one, wonder if they made a bigger one? :(

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Those nests really are marvels of workmanship.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Cool! Thank you!!!

Thomaston, CT

Yes, indeed, the black& white warblers are one of my favorites, for their antics...they're like nuthatches, climbing every which way on a tree....you're lucky, Pixie, to have one! Nice photos!

Thomaston, CT

I was sitting with Suey on my back patio a few minutes ago, & a hummer came to within a foot of my face....guess she didn't like what she saw, she took off!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

LOL!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A few pretties

Red Spotted Purple, Tiger Swallowtail, Sulphur

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A few creepies

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A few cuties

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Saw another hummer, flew up to check me out and then flew away, probably going for the salvia

hummingbird moth, he just keeps moving to fast, I can't seem to get a clear shot of him

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Thomaston, CT

Great photos, ladies! The spider ones sort of creeped me out, though!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are a few shots of huge dragon flies that live down by the pond with the telephoto lens

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

woody

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and some hummers - if i took the time to crop these they would be really cool. that last one its head is right in the cardinal flower.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 9:11 AM

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
Thomaston, CT

Nice photos, Bill....I took a one day class at a nature center to identify dragonflies.....didn't help, they all look alike to me!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ronnie I love your butterflies and birds...can not say I like your spiders! Nice pictures, but they just creep me out!!!

Jen I know what you mean, I have a ton of blurry fuzzy things. :)

Nice shots Bill, I love how dragon flies just zip along.

Here are a few from the other day...

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Celeste, I love that brwon and blue BF!
Be warned I have a few more creepy spider shots coming up!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the frog is waiting for the dragon fly

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE the DF on the fishing pole!!!!!!

Anyone know what this is? Isn't it pretty???

Thumbnail by flowAjen
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jen, I was in the middle of the lake and he just landed on my pole as if it was his designated landing strip. That moth is very cool, have no idea what it is though.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I was very aware in the increase of butterfly's that I have been seeing this year. From mid spring till just yesterday, a day rarely goes by that I don't see at least one.
Following is an article that appeared in a local newspaper.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/features/x1405833750/Scientists-Migrating-butterflies-mark-climate-change

Chuck

Thomaston, CT

Beautiful moth! Great photos, folks.....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is this a bad guy?

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My son rescued this guy(gal) from the kiddie pool, ton of honey bees on my Autumn Joy Sedum, Red spotted purple, old egg case from a praying mantis

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Thomaston, CT

I don't recognize that caterpillar, Jen......nice photos!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Jen...don't recognize your cat either.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think it's Yellowstriped Armyworm

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

or just a striped garden caterpillar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichordestra_legitima

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh no.. just spotted my first stink bug.. just landed on our patio door.. ugh!!!!

Thomaston, CT

Yes, I've seen several.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.