Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Fall potatoes-bad idea?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9244627

We grew such wonderful potatoes this past Spring (Kennebec), my husband is wanting me to do them again. I was thinking maybe of starting them late Sept. It doesn't usually get REALLY cold around here anymore till Jan. or Feb. I would probably have to be more concerned with a hot October. It's not usually even very cold till Halloween here. Anyone in a similiar zone tried to grow potatoes in the fall? If you've had a good experience, any advice on where to purchase seed potatoes right now? I'm having difficulty finding them. Could I buy potatoes at the Farmer's Market & cut them up?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9244701

Irish potatoes are very frost sensitive. You can expect them to be killed sometime in early October. In central Virginia we use to plant fall potatoes around the fourth of July. The vines would still be killed by frost around the first of October, but would have decent potatoes under them by then. I suspect you are 6 weeks too late for fall potatoes. It is too late here and we are z8
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9244724

Really? Wow, I would have thought it was way too hot to plant them. Thanks for the advice, you saved me a lot of time and some $$ :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America