Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Thyme dying

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darimini
Kensington, NY

August 17, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9244712

I have a thyme plant that shares a window box with a rosemary plant. In the past week, the thyme plant has changed dramatically. The leaves are yellowing and thinning out, and the entire box is absolutely crawling with those reddish-brown centipedes.

There's been no change in water, sunlight, or the introduction of any new foods / soils / chemicals since this started happening.

I've been doing some reading, and it seems that the centipedes are PROBABLY not eating the thyme roots, but may be eating other root-eaters. But if that's happening, why aren't they taking care of the problem? And why is the rosemary perfectly fine?

I'm getting food grade diatomaceous earth delivered to me on Wednesday, but I'm afraid the plant will be dead by then.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on and what I should do? Thanks in advance!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9244740

Can you post some pictures of the centipedes (and the thyme)? The centipedes may just be a coincidence and not related to the problems you're having. In my personal experience, thyme seems to be more sensitive to excess moisture than rosemary, so it's possible you've been watering the window box a little too much and the symptoms are showing up with the thyme first. Just because you haven't changed your watering habits doesn't mean that you haven't been watering a bit too much all along and it's just starting to catch up to you--unless you're totally drowning them, plants will sometimes seem to be fine for a while before they start to show symptoms of overwatering.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9246855

Cool weather, stop watering, and they need trimmed to encourage growth, buteo be planted too closely together, the yellowing does sound like a moisture issue.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9252087

yes, too much moisture and centipedes will take advantage of that environment.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9252206

Need good air circulation, the roots of the plants could be crowding each other out as well- we like to give our Rosemary room- for the sake of the other plants needs!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America