Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pets: My rescue's exploits, every day is a day of laughter!

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 32, Views: 256
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9245266

I have adopted 3 dogs, all with in a matter of a few month's apart. I had moved to Thailand in the year of 2010, and upon returning to the State's couldn't resist visiting the Flagler Beach, Florida humane society. I found Chico first! He has been with me since August 2011, and is the Alpha of the other 2 who came later. I adopted a Shiz tsu(sp?) Whiskey, in June of 2012, someone had posted him, with papers, on my Vet's bulletin board, (free to good home, birthday was May of 2011, so my DH and I went and checked him out, brought him home the same day, and than number 3 came to us in June of 2012, another Shiz tsu (sp) female, and being born Nov. 2010, Dakato, which make's her 2 years old. These 2 escaped the " behind the bars" feeling, and with my family finally filled out, we have started to have a lot of fun and laughs. I swear these dogs rule us, not the way it's supposed to be. Anyway, I will gladly share this thread with others who have similar goings on in their home's. I want to express to others the joy of having a dog home, the joy of having them make you laugh, make you proud, I call it the empty nest syndrome, kid's have grown up and moved away, they still come to visit, but as travelers, we don't always get to see them, and now that we only plan on touring the USA, our new kids can come with us! As I tend to think, they make us young again, give no back talk, will do what ever you want them to do, giving and receiving love! My story starts here! Let me introduce Chico, an over grown Chiwawa(sp) and his brother Whiskey River, and sister Dakato! I'll do each in the order they were adopted, their personality's, like's and dislike's! So for now this is about Chico! He was found wondering the streets of Palm Coast, he ended up at the shelter, where my DH went everyday, looking to replace the older girl we had to put down when moving to Thailand. She was a Dashound, 18 years old, hardly living, but being stingy we didn't want to put her down, thought she could live forever, but the decision was made, she passed slowly in my arms, I have a burning of tears as I write this, but time has helped, and knowing there are dogs who need us, we decided to adopt again. We found our special Chico! He is like a possessed nut, he doesn't like to petted last, he has to be first, and when the door bell rings, he is the 1st to let you know someone is here, and when they walk in, you'd swear he is going to bite. But he's letting everyone know, pet me first, and than I'll let you in. He has a tendency to be a guard dog, but he just wants attention, before the other 2. He love's his toys, more so than the other 2, he has to sleep with a toy, and because my bed is so high, we have doggy steps for them to get in and out, if he come's to bed and forgets his toy he'll get out, get a toy, come back to bed, and than will squeak himself to sleep. It's his comfort zone, squeak, squeak, till he get's tired, than he'll nose his way under the sheet , go to your feet and go to sleep, dragging the toy with him. He always get's up bright and early, goes outside to do business, and than it's back into bed with me, as I'm a late sleeper, and DH is an early riser. He like's to hang out with me, he love's the warmth of the sun, as I do, we spend a lot of time on my back lanai doing mosaics, and reading DG. He loves his back scratched, and if your talking to him, he acts like he understands what your saying with a tilt of his head. He love's to play with his brother and sister, and everyday around 3pm he will start to pace, as this is doggy park time. You have to take him everyday, and he seems to be the aggressor in this ritual! He will get in the truck, and breath heavy, pace back and forth, and just act nutty till you pull up at the park. No leash needed, he know's how to haul butt to the gate, and someone will be there to open it, as DH is still trying to get the other 2 out and to the gate. Once in the park, his favorite thing to do is to wait for the big dogs to come, as they have a separate area for dogs over 20 lbs, and the fence leading to the big do area has to be at least 300 ft long, may a little exaggeration?? But he is there waiting to lead the big dog into a chase down the fence and back, until he tire;s the big dog out, and the "pack" of little dogs will join in this madness, always wearing out the big dogs1 There is no longer grass along the side of the fence, as many chases that are put on each day. Chico than goes and get's in the doggy pool to cool off, and resumes his wait for another big dog to enter the gate, or try to entice the one's who are already in the yard to do some more running! He is a little dog in a very muscular body. He tires himself out and when DH says let's go, to the truck, Chico is ready! He is a very happy and well adjusted dog, love;s his belly scratched, and very loyal. Who ever left this boy get away is missing out on a lot! He is kind to his brother and sister, just a little bossy when it come's to people coming to visit, pet me first is his motto! He love's to have a paw on you when sleeping, a touch, to feel secure!

The next one, Whiskey, he came to us after Chico, and he is considered my " brat dog, due to young age" And full of himself! Stay tuned as I will post his story tomorrow! But here is Chico!

edited to fix typo's and explain about Thailand, which I mentioned we " moved" to. We did sell everything and made the big move, half way around the world, and while there I got very sick. After 11 months of being up and down, my DH decided I had enough and wanted to bring me back to the States, thinking the doctors could do a better job here, even though I spent 7 day's in an International hospital and they were wonderful. After being released I couldn't eat food or keep it down if I could eat. My DH thought I had picked up a parasite some where and they couldn't seem to diagnose it, so we headed back here to start all over. Today I am feeling much better and miss Thailand but, the food there didn't agree with me, so here we are with 3 dogs to share our lives with!

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 1:51 PM

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9245268

some of the picture's didn't come out, so are a few more!

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9246107

I enjoyed seeing the photos of your rescues. Looking forward to the next story.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9248897

My sister is moving back here to the USA, and I'll be with her for a week or 2, I'll catch up on here as soon as we get her settled! I haven't seen her in a few years, she was living in India, but I don't want anyone who started to read this think I disappeared! I will continue as I have 2 more crazy dogs to talk about! See you all soon! Jami

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9249289

Love you dogs

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9250118

Here is my brat dog, Whiskey, He's a year old as of May, and still acts like a little terror towards everyone in the house. He thinks it's his world, and everyone should do his bidding. I got him as a rescue when he was 7 months old, his original owners didn't want him, so they posted a note in the vet's office. When I went to look at him, he was such a sweetie, little did I know he would take over and " think" it's all about him. He knows how to get your attention when he wants you to do something! He will start with a little growl, very lightly, and continue until he is just barking as loud as he can, being very persistent, and when you still don't acknowledge him , he than will start with little teeny nips at your clothes, shoe's or what ever he can reach. he won't stop for nothing, only till you give him a snack, pick him up and put him in a chair next to you, or anything else, like put him outside, only when he's happy will he stop his tirade. He will do this to myself, DH, his sister dog, and to Chico his brother dog! If they are in a bed, or on a chair, or even have a toy he wants he will start his tirade. The only 1 who doesn't get mad at him when he acts this way is his sister dog. She has learned how to head butt him to get away, or just plain ignore him. On the other hand, Chico, will put up with it for a few seconds, than will literally start howling as in doggy crying! I have to go after Whiskey and pick him up, and move him to another room, to regain a peaceful atmosphere in the house. I know he'll outgrow this behavior, but it is quite funny. Someday's I'll provoke him into doing it. All I do to start him going, is to talk to him, like he's a child I like to watch his face as he get's all worked up, He'll tilt his head as if trying to figure out what I'm saying to him, staring at me like I'm nuts, and than he starts, like he's talking back to me. After awhile he'll start his little tirade, I laugh at him, and than we run through the house, taking turns chasing each other. The other 2 dogs watch us in fascination. they know he's younger than them, (not by much), but they seem to know he needs more attention than they do. The last image of the picture's is Whiskey, before we got him his first grooming, he was a little mop when we first got him, and we needed to bring him up to date on his shot's before the groomer would see him, and the 4th picture is of him coming home from being groomed, he looked so cute, and much smaller in size.
So, you now have some knowledge of Whiskey, and the last dog is Dakota, his and Chico's sister. I'll put her story up next! Stay tuned ! Thanks Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9250124

jamibad He is a sweet boy. I am sorry but he will not grow out of it unless you stop the behavior and soon. I know it is funny(I live with a big over grown brat so I know) but is a behavior than will only get worse- And I know I have to live with some things that we did not stop early enough!!!!

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9250162

I know this won't get any better, but it is to darn funny. My plan is to buy one of those little zapper things that are like a collar, and when he is doing his tirade will give him a little zap to stop. When he realizes that he get's a little zap when doing this behavior, he'll stop. I was going to take him to doggy class, but DH told me he didn't think he needed doggy school. Whiskey is a very quick learner, and because we always jump to meet his need's when he does this , it is becoming an every day thing, sometime's 2-3 time's a day, because he know's his tirade will work, on all of us!!! When he make's Chico howl, I do get angry with him, and will take him to time out on my bed, and will make him stay there till I let him get up. Other time's if it's me or DH he's doing it to, we just give in to shut him up. As I write this I'm laughing, and I know it's bad behavior, but we are going to start traveling and I need to correct him before we hit the road. It's just that he is a lovable little boy, and he is my brat dog! The other 2 are fine. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear from you, or for that matter anyone! I don't think the zapper will hurt him, but like I said he's very smart, and will learn to quit this habit. He won't like the little zap and will quickly learn why it's happening! But Thanks wren, I know I can't keep laughing about it. I just can't believe he has learned this behavior so quick, and from my understanding Shih tzus aren't supposed to bark, as his sister Dakota doesn't bark at all! I think I heard her bark once at a stranger, but that was it. I've had her since the late of June !
The last picture is of Whiskey doing his little "tirade" to Chico, he wants up on the dresser to look out the window too, but Chico won't move to let him up, so he starts in on Chico, and before you know it Chico is crying, it was so loud, that I grabbed my camera to record it for my face book page, I think this was the start of it, as sirens were going off outside, and I thought Chico was crying because most dogs do when they hear a siren, and I thought Whiskey was trying to imitate Chico's howl, when in fact, that wasn't it at all. Maybe for that day, the sirens were making Chico cry, but, Whiskey has learned the trick and now uses it to get everyone's attention!

I didn't realize this was 1 of the picture's I took when DH was trying to see what they would do when he was looking in the window. The picture I thought I was posting looks the same. LOL, It looks like I have a peeping Tom!

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 2:29 PM

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9250181

Doggy school yes, but please do not use the zap collar. Try putting a few pennies in a drink can and try shaking it suddenly. or dropping it and when he stop praise him a lot.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9250207

Dakota, my angel ! My first girl dog, and really, first girl, as I had 2 son's ! So I'm doing the little dresses, and hair bow's, going all out for this angel. We adopted her towards the end of June 2012, and she is just so lady like! She is 2, not sure of her birth date, and she came to us from someone we met at the doggy park. Her old mommy had 4 shih tsu's and needed to give 1-2 away ( land lord said too many dogs) and because she new we had adopted Whiskey, and brought him up to date on shot's, had him neutered, and groomed, she decided that we would be the best parents for her darling, the youngest of her 4. So we took Dakota. She is a very well mannered girl, but will take no crap from Whiskey! I was watching him do his "tirade" with her, she was in my recliner, just relaxing, and he thought he wanted to be in the recliner too, so he's trying to jump up on the recliner, she won't budge, but as I watched, she gave him a head butt and knocked him back off as he landed in front of her. This was so cute. Whiskey finally gave up, and she stayed in the recliner. He went looking for someone else to intimidate in the house. I have only heard her bark once in the few months that we've had her, as I was walking her, someone was approaching us and she got a little afraid, and out of her moth came a little woof. I looked at her and said oh my gosh, you do have a voice. I was so shocked!
She is very much a lap dog, and will sit on you lap when ever your sitting. She like's to play with squeaky toys, and prefers to stay on the sideline's when her brother are rough housing! Every once in awhile she'll jump in, but she prefers 1 on 1! Chico wouldn't play with her when she first came, he wasn't sure about her, but he is starting to play with her, and he isn't as rough with her as he is with Whiskey. He let's her do most of the playing while he just growls enough to edge her on, and let's her "win". He's such a good boy with her, and yet with Whiskey, they will tumble and run, and bite and growl, all in puppy play! I really don't know her that well yet, she like's to go for bike ride's as does Whiskey, Chico is too big for my basket, but I do have a kiddie pull along carriage, and will sometimes take all 3, but only when there is a quite air, as there is no way I could pedal the bike with 1 in the basket, and the other 2 behind me in the carriage with a wind blowing. I'm not that strong, 40 lbs of dead weight, and the carriage. Even on flat ground as it here where I live!
OK, I have now given you some history on my 3 doggy kids, and here is some pictures of Dakota! Than I will share with all who are reading this, more of the crazy things we do with the dogs,and what they do to us in our live's.

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9250211

sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try! Even if I did use the zapper collar, it would be set on the lowest of all settings. I don't like to inflict any type of pain on my crew, I am still trying the "time out" when he does this, he doesn't like to be in the bed by himself, but I sit there and make him finish his time out before letting him go back out with the other dogs. I just started the time out a week ago, so we'll see how that goes, and also try the pennies in a can! Maybe a little water gun, even though he love's to swim!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9250299

The water gun might work, with a little vinager. Andre loves water but not sprayed in the face. I have found that using one of those air cans that you use to clean the computer keyboard. I do not spray him directly in the face but let some of it hit his face.

She is a pretty girl

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

August 22, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9250357

Whiskey is (has) established his dominance over you. You need to be the pack leader. A dog should NEVER be allowed to get away with growling or nipping his owner. Perhaps a trainer could help you learn how to re-establish control over him. There are specific techniques (internet search can help find tips) on how to do this (without inflicting pain) by consistently EVERY TIME showing him you will not tolerate such behavior. Regardless of the pecking order they work out within their group, all your dogs need to know that YOU are pack leader. Cute misbehaviors now frequently lead to a dog being put down because it progresses to outright biting as he asserts his dominance. The good part is that once you have established this principle, the dog is actually happier because he knows his place and can rely on you - he does not have to constantly challenge you. Sorry for the sermon - but it is just like with children. Cuteness is no excuse for incorrect behavior. Whiskey is not being bad; he is just being a dog (different species from humans) and needs to be treated as a dog (not a furry child). Don't be afraid of hurting his feelings or that he will not love you. He will be a better, happier dog once he has learned manners and his appropriate place in the pack (below you and your husband). Good luck - these situations are not easy, but they can work out.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9250466

stillwood and wren, I know I'm on the wrong path with Whiskey, and I also know it's time to quit laughing and take action. I have already instituted the time out with him, but I will do what's right to make him a happy and mature puppy.I watch the dog whisperer, I actually record it, and try to follow some of his pointers, It's just so hard to keep from laughing over his behavior, as he is so adorable, but enough is enough, I will refrain from laughing out loud, and do what is best for him. I've never had such a young dog before, so I guess you can say it's a learning experience for both of us. I think I'll enroll him and myself into a doggy class, so we can get things right between us. I know he has learned a lot from Chico, especially from the doggy park where we take them every day. Whiskey was the youngest 1 there, and I feared for him every time a dog bigger than him would want to tussle, He is in with 20lbs and under dogs, he weighs maybe 12 lbs. He has since become a copy of Chico who weighs 22lbs, chasing and dominating the other dogs. They don't fight or anything like that, but Whiskey has learned how to run faster than I ever saw a pedigree shih ztu run, he love's to get wet and dirty, where when we get home, he needs a bath. He is a hard one to keep down, and has no fear! When we brought him home he was a sweetie, and was just a lovable boy, still is, but he has learned how to do rough play, and won't back off. I wish we could put video's up here. He's having fun, no meanness, but he is just a hard player for a pedigree. I have his AKC papers, his original owners gave them to me, but because I didn't want more puppie's/dogs in the world, there are to many already waiting for homes, I had him neutered, and never sent the papers in to register him. But I thank every one for the advise, and will seek avenues to get this fixed. We plan on starting to travel, by road, in our RV, and I need him to behave, as space will be limited. His barking will drive us all up the wall for sure. And he can't have his way anymore. I'll let you know how things work out, as I'll be posting as often as I can, we won't be leaving till the 2nd week of September, if we even leave than. My sister just returned to the State's from a long trip to India so I may be absent for a day or two, but I will post on my headway with Whiskey! Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the feedback on this issue! Like I said I never had a dog this young, all mine were older, and came through the humane society! I'll post more picture's of my crazy family as I sort through them! Again Thanks!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9250481

Do not feel bad, I have the same problem with Andre, it is hard to stay mad at them when they are making you laugh.
It is a problem that is easy to fix. Not like my problem with the trash cans, I now have 3 pet gates and a locking trash can that he can get into faster than my mother. Andre is way to smart.
you will find even more to laugh at as he gets older and learn the rules

Thumbnail by wren107
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9250482

Oh and do not give old socks as toys-----boy did I learn about that one!!!!!!!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9250488

Come on over and join us on the How was your day thread, just introduce your self and jump right in. These are a great group of ladies
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276448/

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9251166

Someone in the group has been chewing hole's in my DH underware! We haven't caught the bandit yet, but are thinking Chico is the one doing this, and if this is so, and Whiskey is anywhere around watching, I know he'll pick up the habit and start doing it also. Monkey see, Monkey do! Wren, what happen with Andre ( BTW, He/She? is Beautiful!)and the socks? We tie my DH old socks in a knot, and the dogs play the "pull it away from each other" game so I'm wondering what happened. And I will check in at the How was your day thread. I probably will get very busy with my sister-in-law, she just moved back from India, to stay here permanently, and will need to do a lot of shopping for "everything" Car, furniture, as I write this she is with her brother, my DH, and they are shopping for a cell phone. I was still in bed when they left to go to Walmart, but I have to do my part, as we just went through the same thing a year ago June, when we moved back from Thailand. It took awhile, but I have more stuff than space for it, as I hit all the yard sale's, and estate sale's. She is going to have to do all this too, but she's a little older than me, and has a bad ankle ( just had to go get Whiskey and give him a time out, as he was doing his tirade thing with Chico, the howling get's so loud, to early in the am for this!)As I was saying, she can't walk as well anymore so the going running around is going to be hard on her. I'm disabled also, have a titanium plate in my cervical spine C3 to C7, and some days, I'm in so much pain, that I put on my neck brace, and sit all day. That kills me, as I have a very active mind, and am always on the go when I have my good day's. So we will try to get her back on her feet in the way of setting up a home. 1 step at a time, lol ! And we have a hurricane headed our way! Issac I think, I tend to not pay attention because the media always make's it more than what it is. So we shall see! FYI, I also am on the mosaic thread, I'll have to see how to cut and paste my thread here, so you can see some of my work, I just finished a bowling ball, and some of my post date back to 2009, as I was always here on DG till we left to go to Thailand. Another thread I do sometimes is the container gardening, as I had my whole back yard filled with all sorts of vegetable's this year, and my yard is very small! Everything was in pots, and did wonderful. Now the Florida sun is taking it's toll, so I'm waiting for fall, and start all over again. Anyway, Whiskey is laying beside me being a good boy, so I'll end for now, and will catch back up here and on the How was your day thread, and will see if I can post my thread on the mosaic's here! Here are a few pictures, my BB finished but not grouted, some of my garden, as you can see, I have a very small yard, and Whiskey, swimming in one of the containers they fill with water at the doggy park, here at home he has a baby pool. He will swim with his head under water, eye's open, like he's looking for something, we call him the Navy Seal Dog.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9251198

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995646/ My mosaic thread

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9251253

He loves to tear things up, AND all socks look alike. I have salved that problem by rewarding him when he brings me things. He learned to help me do the laundry but now he will go to the dirty close basket and steal socks out of it and bring them to me for a reward. Some days I may have 20+socks on the shelve beside me.
Andre is a BRAT. Way to smart for mine and his own good.
He is my 3rd Belgian Tervuren and I thought I know what I was getting into when I bought him but I had no idea!!!
Part of the problem was right after I get him, I hurt one of my knees(ACL) and was not able to do the training school with him, had to have surgery, and had to be back to quickly because of his mischief. Then the other knee went south and I had to have surgery but this time I was smart and took him to the kennel. Then my dad had a massive stroke and DM and I had to care for him, SO not enough training time. Andre is no really to bad but he has to be kept busy or he will find stuff to do. Thankfully(neighbors do not think so) I found a hard plastic toy that he loves-it is called a eggee and it looks like a huge egg. He loves to roll it around and barks at it and barks and barks.
I also bike with him we have been able to do the 1 1/2 miles this week as the temps are down some. Or I play Ramp Ball with him. We have a wheelchair ramp at the front door and I will sit at the top and he will wait at the bottom and I will bounce the ball for him to catch.
Terv are like living with a Mischievous, Hyper active, super intelligent 2 year old!!!! The are free thinkers and I have to be on my toes to out think him.

Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107         

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9251442

So cute and funny Wren, I use to have a cat who liked socks. When he was little 4 weeks old, I use to put him in a basket to sleep, and would put socks around him like they were sleeping with him, as he grew up, he always drug socks out of the laundry or where ever he could find them and slept with them. He did this till they day he passed on. Chico, on the other hand will bring a toy to bed every night, usually his monkey, and if he forgets, he get's out of bed and will go find what ever is closet to bring back to bed, he'll lay down and just squeak it for a little while before he's ready to climb under the covers, and go to sleep.I don't know where he picked this up, he didn't do it when we first got him, and he has always slept in bed with us. But he picked up the habit, and now it's an every night thing. The other 2 seem to not have caught on to this yet. I don't know where we all would sleep if they all needed a toy in bed, we don't have a lot of room as it is, and sometimes DH will get out of bed and go the the spare room to sleep. There are no doggy steps, so they can't get into that bed. Such creatures we keep company with . LOL
Whiskey has his love of water. They all get into the baby pool, long enough to cool off, but he lays in it for sometime, and will also swim the perimeter with his face under the water, like he's lost something and is looking for it. I put a towel on the ground beside the pool, when they get out they all will roll around on it, to dry off. There is a lady at our doggy park who taught me to do the towel trick, and it works. They don't get as dirty with sand when the towel, or even a sheet is down for them to roll around on.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9251515

thankfully Andre does not often roll on the ground after he gets out of his pool.
He has killed another water hose that makes 7 or 8 now. But not as bad as the one in this picture

Thumbnail by wren107
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9251654

lol, tell me he didn't do that!!!! He is 1 bad doggy! Mine run from the hose! lol, Your in Jax, are you watching the hurricane news? I think they over do it!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9251657

Yes he did, it get in the way of the eggee, there where more pieces of it and he has killed another yesterday.
Yes in Jax, Have you ever been in a hurricane? They can be very bad, even if we only get the rain. We had a lot of flooding from the tropical storm that came through a couple of months ago. Having that much rain on our already soaked soil would be a disaster.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9251674

2004, what was it, 4 in a row? we had no electric for a week ! I don't scare so easy with a cat 1, but any thing higher, I'm out of here! The tropical storm a few months ago was just a lot of rain here. I don't think we had any problems here in Flagler Beach, I even did a trip years ago after Andrew went through in S. Florida! What a mess, and you didn't know where you were, as all landmarks were gone! The aftermath is worse, if you survive the storm! So me and my Dogs will be gone if any thing higher than a 1 come's our way. Mt DH is hard headed, and won't leave, he wants to protect our "stuff", me, forget it, I'll be back when things have been cleaned up! LOL, Whiskey just came by and started to do his "tirade", so I stuck my finger in his mouth, said shush, and than picked him up, and put him behind me in the chair, he's still doing the little grrr sound, it's their time to take a walk, but every thing is still wet, and I don't feel like having them romping through the wet grass before bed. I'd have to clean 3 sets of doggy paws, and belly's! Not happening tonight! I've been having an upset belly, someone told me a virus is going around, feel like puking, but can eat, so I don't know! Maybe it is a virus! I keep trying to get on the other thread, but for some reason, I have to keep searching for it. I thought I saved it to my favorite's!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9251799

Thankfully we have had only a few that have come through here. Most come through the back door,so have lost some of their punch .
The tropical storm Debby a few months ago was the only one that I know of that came straight in, that is why it caused such a lot of trouble.
We will get a lot of rain from this one as we are on that side of the storm, but unless it changes direction we should not get to much wind---I hope.

Going to call it a night.
Have a good night.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9251936

Wren, I just saw Andre in his pool on another thread. So cute, but he doesn't leave much room for swimming around in it! LOL

Yes, I do believe we are going to get lots of rain going into the week,, and it's been raining every day for the last few weeks. I've been trying to get to the pool on the week ends with some of the girls, they work all week, and when the week end get's here, forget it, more rain! I need my swim time! lol Iguess it's better than the fire's of 98 ! I had just moved up here to Flagler from Daytona Beach, and I never seen such a mess of ashes all over everything, we were glad the fire's never jumped 95, as we live on the beach side, right outside of Palm Coast!

Well, got to get ready to go to the dentist! Have a great day!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9251939

Have a great day.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

August 24, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9252053

Jamibad - why do you put your finger in his mouth when Whiskey growls? That seems to be asking for a bitten finger, maybe seriously. I am not going to say anything more as I wish you the best. But, please be careful with that dog - his aggression is not cute. He got what he wanted when he growled and you picked him up and put him in YOUR chair. I will be quiet from now on. Best wishes.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9255679

Hello stillwood- Your correct about an aggressive dog biting if you stick your finger in their mouth when they growl, I'd never would do that to an aggressive dog, big or small ! My Whiskey is a baby yet, just turned a year, and he isn't aggressive, it's his way of talking to me, he try's to communicate, he has never bit me or his playmate's, he is a very social dog at home and at the doggy park, he is learning a bad habit, as in being persistent till he get's what he wants, and he has learned to make noises with his throat, it's like a low grumble, followed what sounds like ET speaking in the movie. It is rather cute, but we are on the wrong path for allowing him to get his way when he does this. I stuck my finger in his mouth as a way to get him to stop, which was a dumb idea, but he did get quite for a second, than I picked him up, and put him in my chair, behind me, where he went to sleep. I had to sit on the edge while typingg my post, but at least he was quite! In no way is he mad, just very vocal for a shiz ztu, my other little girl, same breed, never barks or make's any noises, I think I heard her bark once since we have had her. For some reason Whiskey picked this "bark, grumble, and a low throated vibration of noise, which I called a growl" up at the park, as he never "talked" before he started going there. I guess "growl " wasn't the correct word for describing it, until I read your post. He is a very good dog, just has picked up this habit, because we allowed it. We're currently working on the situation, and he, and I will be enrolled in puppy school for obedience training at Pet Smart. He is younger than the other 2, and very smart, and this will be all cured. He has learned to follow several commands already, this is the only behavior problem he has at this time, other than getting to excited when he know's he's going to the "park" he will start jumping on us ( our legs) and get all excited, and when my DH and I return home from somewhere, he get's all excited and it takes him a few minute's to calm down. This is very annoying, especially when you have packages in your hands and he's busy tearing up your legs. We have tried the "dog whisper's" ideas with him, but it's not working. He is young enough, that now is the time to get him into school, we can see the problems and know what needs to be addressed. I do thank you for the advise, I guess I was just using the wrong terminology! We are going to be traveling in our RV, and want very "good kiddie dogs" and he is the only one who needs schooling. My other 2 are much older and have been trained to obey, very mild mannered, and love to interact with people and other dogs, as does Whiskey, he just hasn't been trained correctly, as I've never has a young dog before, always older, and always well behaved. So this is a new experience for me also. This is why he is my brat dog, and we love him unconditionally, as we do the other's!

Have a great and sunny day! I wish we were ! Rain and more rain!

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9255818

I am glad you are going to take him to school it will be good for both of you. And please do not try any more of the Dog Whisper's stuff as I find he is a idiot. I have trained 5 dogs, get titles on 2 of them and I just shutter the few times I have watched him. He might get away with some of the stuff he does but other people can not and it could cause a lot of other problems.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9260067

Wren, I have to laugh when I watch the dog whisper, and your so correct, I try some of the simple stuff, as it does say at the beginning, "do no attempt with out a professional", but I have been to Pet Smart in our area, and have watched the classes to see what all happens, and than I spoke with the trainer, explained my situation, and we are now enrolled, to start Sept 12th! This should be fun, and I will try to keep everyone up to date! Thanks Jam

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9260370

Great!! Just remember to be calm and gentle at all time, oh and use lots of treats. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America