Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Shedding pseudoscorpion or mutant freak?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ectomorph
Watford
United Kingdom

August 18, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9245374

My friend found this on her wall in Redditch in the Midlands UK and asked me what it was.

My best guess was a pseudo scorpion but the size of it threw me a little - look at the mortar in the brickwork it is sitting on; this is 1cm minimum making the creature >1cm. Also the rear legs appear to be fused, I've not heard of or seen this before. It could also have been partially predated by the centipede it was initially found next to.

It looks like it could be shedding it's skin too a likely explanation for the multiple legs on one side. Do pseudo scorpions do this?

Can anyone offer a better explanation / identification for this arthropod?

Many thanks,

Paul

Thumbnail by Ectomorph   Thumbnail by Ectomorph
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9245397

Could also be that two are present, mating or one on the bottom being eaten. Have no idea what pseudoscorpions mating looks like.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 18, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9245425

Not a pseudoscorpion, but a centipede with the somewhat distorted 'skin' it just shed...
Ectomorph
Watford
United Kingdom

August 18, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9245491

Thanks that make perfect sense that it is a centipede shedding it's exoskeleton. It looks all anemic too which fits nicely.

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America