Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Caution buying Butterfly Plants at Big Box Stores

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9245438

While l I was at our big box store here in Deland I was looking at the Milkweed as my plants are looking pretty
sad and I thought instead of sowing seeds I'd just pick one up. I saw a Monarch and asked the clerk
what they did with the caterpillars as I have rescued them from various stores before.
She told me they usually died because the plants are now systemically treated from the grower,
They had found this out the "hard way" as they had tried to set up a butterfly display and someone
brought in caterpillars and they all died eating the plants.
So...warning...if you are purchasing plants make sure they are organically grown...
Better yet, if possible...grow your own.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 18, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9245561

Thank you for mentioning this on the forum mjs. I think this is an important consideration. Most of the plants that I start are from seeds...mostly out of necessity. The nurseries here don't carry most of the plants I need. I do have Common Rue (ruta graveolens) and Passiflora edulis in my garden and can purchase the plants at most of the nurseries here. I always ask if the plants have been treated with any chemicals or insecticides, etc. before making a purchase.

The last time I went to my nursery of choice to purchase Rue, there were Giant Swallowtail caterpillars on all of the small plants. I was so delighted and mentioned this to the owner. He responded by moving his hand toward the caterpillar and I thought he was going to squish it. I hollered "oh no"! He smiled at me and said don't worry. He gently touched the head of the caterpillar so the osmeterium came up just to show me. I told him I would like to purchase the plant. He chose another plant for me "this plant has three caterpillars on it, would you prefer this one"? Needless to say this is why it is my nursery of choice.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9246266

Lucky you to have a nursery that accommodates the butterflies !!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9249083

Wow, mjsponies, thanks for posting that info! Very good advice to remember.

Vitrsna, that's a wonderful story...thanks for sharing it! I wish we all had such wonderful nurseries.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9249286

Interestingly enough, when I went by there today there was not a milkweed plant to be seen, not even on the1/2 off rack.
They had almost a 1/2 bench of them so I doubt they were all sold. Maybe they pulled them...here's hoping.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 21, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9249512

Good going mjs...ask a few questions and you can make a difference! It looks like you made a difference here. They wanted to make a butterfly display but their plants were killing all the larva so i think you made a difference by prompting them to ask some questions of their growers. It would be interesting to see if they add more butterfly host plants in the future from a different or reformed grower after becoming aware that the potential purchasers are not clueless. :-D

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America