Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: recently bought a crescent special treadle sewing machine

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 5, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
julia1234
nelson
New Zealand

August 18, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9245866

Hi everyone, I live in New Zealand and have recently bought a crescent special treadle. It was pretty gummed up and dusty but I nearly have it working fine except the tension spring appears to be broken off a bit so the top thread pops out of the assembly when sewing. Does anybody know anything about these machines? There is such a lot of information on singers and other brands but so far I have not been able to find anything on crescent apart from being manufactured by Johnson, Flanders & Co. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks Julia.

Thumbnail by julia1234
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9245907

What a doll!! So cute.

Julie, have you tried researching the company? Maybe you can get a manual, or even find a trouble shooter to help you.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9247496

As a last resort, you might look for a machine shop that custom makes springs. I don't mean sewing machine shop, I mean like in the automotive trade. I know we have them here and have no idea what the cost would be but it might be your only option.
Also check with sewing machine repair shops especially those that specialize in older machines. It might be an interchangable part.
We do have a couple of friends here who know more about the older machines, hoping one or more may hope in and help you.
Did you check the posting from quilter_gal in the first forum listed here? The title is Treadle sewing machines. She really knows a lot about these machines and has some very good tips on getting help with them.
LOL I think I posted in backwards order here. read from the bottom up.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 9:57 AM
julia1234
nelson
New Zealand

August 21, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #9248544

Thanks for the replies to my post. I found a local repairman who services treadles (and lawnmowers) and he managed to repair my spring as it is an unusual size. He also reset the timing. From what I have been able to find out the company stopped trading in 1910. It also has a long skinny boat shuttle but luckily for me the singer shuttle bobbins fit. If anybody knows about Johnson Flanders & Co I would like to hear it. Thanks :)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9248702

Yay! So happy for you Julia, Looks like you're going to be having some fun with your machine.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9248710

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/CF/single-record.cfm?AuthorizedCompany=Johnson%2C%20Flanders%20and%20Company

Julia you might find these sites interesting, I hope the second link works it is the Smithsonian Institute and shows copies if company advertising. If it doesn't work, Google the company name and then click on the first link, there was a listing of companies, clicking on the name brought them up and there it shows the ads. I believe you can print them out.

OK I checked and the link does work. Click on HTML page

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 8:55 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America