AuthorContent
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9246039

well the first one .. the largest hanging basket in the world
the Hotel Indigo in London to view a quarter-ton hanging basket filled with over 100 types of flowers including orchids, roses and conifers- setting the world record for the Largest hanging basket

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9246111

Wow, Gordon. Jim says that must be at least a whole ton! LOL impressive!
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9246117

Holey Moley! Very cool - thanks for sharing!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9246131

well hi Kim.. to you and Jim... yes i'd think it was that heavy.. but they say over 250 Kilo..550 lbsthe little planter my maple is in is that heavy
here's some of my planters.. for folks who don't know.. all of what you see in these photos are in planters on my rooftop ..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9246150

Well.. a few more to make up for the ones dropped from the last post

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9246153

want to see some more.. well OK

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9246332

Wonderful job on a rooftop garden there Gordon. Jim said hi back. Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with us.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9246697

Holy Cow, Gordon I've never seen such a huge container...that is really something else, and a little fairy in too...lol.

Love your eclectic roof garden, thank you for sharing it, such a delight. Nice brugs!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9246720

Well, Gordon, I am in NY state at present...you are just lucky I don't have time to come and bug you for a rooftop tour. :>)

I really think that you have room up there for one of those humongous baskets...LOL
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9246734

A little piece of paradise, high in the sky - thanks for sharing, Gordon.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9262206

That photo of the largest hanging basket really gives perspective with the lady in the basket. How amazing is that!

Beautiful photos of your rooftop haven. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite is the lady hiding behind the bridal veil. Very inspiring. Kristi
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9262249

Thanks Kim... more photos to follow.. as always loving yours... your glorisia lilly sure made a comeback to a georgeous plant after it's move from the shadier spot
Thanks SunKissed.. yes.. the brugs are starting to come into their own... more photos to follow
Anna_Z.. oh.. well if I could fit it in.. I might .. but it's weight I worry about keeping inline ...
you're welcome anytime... there are lots of different tour packages available... they don't all take alot of time.. we're about to drop the nude garden tour next month with the cool weather approaching.. photos restricted
Denisemb.. thanks.. paradise is often made ... not found ... as is so often thought
Kristi.. OH.. my pleasure to show it off... few can see it .. it being up in the air.. Yes.. I was looking for a hair do for her.. then came across the Tahatian Bridal Veil... and I had to have it for her... that plant was the DO on the first planting body I made back in the late '60's and thought it would be a bit of a remberance of that first one for me...some 43 years later..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9262264

and a few more

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9262543

a few more.. the first is a hanging basket.. a kin to the cuban oreagano..
the second photo might have the new plant _king amazing award..I bought this little cutting on eBay as a pink jasmine... it didn't look like a jasmine leaf.. and the flowers surely don't.. but from this little plant in my container with dozens of other flowers... it's grown all over this trellis and into another .. up 8' across another 5 ft... down maybe 4 ft and across another 8 ft.. that''s an estimate of the length of one shoot.. and there are dozens of them... a big strong grower... it makes the second flower pictured here.. and now there are hunderds of buds for it..this is one year... I hear it's a zone 8 vine... so I'm left to chop it up and bring what I can inside... it's an Argentine pink trumpet vine... I'll get the real name and a posted picture of it covering a house in Japan with flowers..it's
Podranea ricasoliana..OH>>I can't get the picture of it... but here's a link to it really in flower... likely a zone 8 picture...http://allthingsplants.com/plants/photo/91821/

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 3:42 PM

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 3:42 PM

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 3:50 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk         

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9262557

well the posted link is likely the best photo.. but here's one as I couldn't figure out how to add the photo as an edit to the last post..the picture isn't exactly my flower.. but a sister to mine.. to show the way it flowers..

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 12:09 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9262963

here's the containers at 1 AM

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9263044

What an inviting labyrinth of plants at 1 am.

Your photos make me suspect you are beginning to feel a bit melancholy with cooler, shorter days coming.

I love that last gorgeous shot and can only imagine how wonderful that Brug makes your piece of heaven smell.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9263045

Gorgeous photos, Gordon. Love the colors and your use of the mirror!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9287316

Hello Gordon, Beautiful gardens!!!
Roy said to say Hello!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9287586

Well... HI,, I think of you about every day there... every day I check the eppi I got from you... the red and purple one... so electric a color it reminded me of the old tail light .. red with a purple dot in the center ... it had an accident at one point.. and then I hd the main part of it to return... from almost nothing.. successs there... and i cad a small cutting I gave away... and got a return of part of it... when I thought the first part was history... but now I have two... comming back slowly it gets the best spot in the house... sheltered in full sun ... and elevated to catch more ... we're still in the fight with that one... clerodendrum ugandensi is a knock out... always blooming as a 7' tree... well now it's slowing down ... and others from you.. are fine...
the garden here is wonderful...
Is your lovely valley staying wet enough this year... but not washing you away.. it always seemed so moist and lush there..
anything new there... I've a bunch of new brugs.. and a 1/2 dozen passis.. going... my wonga wonga vine from Australia hasn't bloomed yet... my biggest knockout is my argentine pink trumpet vine.. must be 40' long and there must be a few dozen of these branches... and it's all thick with flowers or buds.. that's the picture... I'll make a few cuttings while everything has some life left in it ... this was a little 14" cutting in the spring... must be 400 ft of vine nowwell more later there... thanks for the shout

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9287752

Beautiful Gordon. For some reason I haven't had the blooms I usually have. Most of the Summer was VERY HOT and dry. Just when I was ready to cut everything down and move inside, normal temperatures and rain came back, Very few blooms on my Night Blooming Cereus. Usually I get several flushes of a dozen or more blooms at a time. Maybe 6 blooms all summer. :^((

I have some beautiful vines covering the front of the greenhouse, Red Passion Flower, Snail Vine and Rangoon Creeper. They are making a beautiful screen. The little Clerodendrum ugandense that you gave me is now over 7 foot high and bloomed some this Summer, but not as well as in the past. The Pink Brugmansia seedlings that you gave me (I need to look at the names) are huge beautiful pink blooms. I am making some string gardens for Winter. I have a couple finished and a few more planned. Here is a copy of my first one, this is an Orchid that one of my cats knocked out of a hanging basket so he could get in the basket and take a bath. Love to see you again. As usual I will have lots of seeds and cuttings for anyone who wants them.

Thumbnail by picabo

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9290665

Beautiful Gordon,everyone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America