Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush": BURNING BUSH?

Communities > Forums > Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush"
bookmark
Forum: Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush"Replies: 3, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLUEEYES4YOU
SherwoodPark, Ab
Canada

August 19, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9246271

Will it winter in Northern Canada like Edmonton,Ab? Or am I wasting my money. I have seen it in Halifax, Nova Scotia. But it gets alot colder here.They sell it in Garden Centers all over the city.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9246591

BLUEEYES,

I have no personal experience with E. alata in Alberta. I only know that this bush is invasive down here and have a report that it is invasive in Ontario as well. If they are selling it "all over town," it sounds as if it is not difficult to propagate which means it will spread in the wild as well. I implore you, please check out its invasive status in Canada before you plant it. Good luck!
BLUEEYES4YOU
SherwoodPark, Ab
Canada

August 23, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9250833

Thank you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9251242

The plants which are terribly easy to propagate--too easy, really--are the ones which unscrupulous vendors can sell many of quickly without a large overhead expense. Some of these introduced plants, in turn, have so few natural enemies in the wild that they out-compete the native plant populations. Be careful, and remember to have fun!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Should be outlawed in the whole US JuneyBug 9 Mar 8, 2011 9:01 AM
Had no idea! Sundownr 17 Mar 7, 2011 2:00 PM
It should burn in h... quiltjean 1 Mar 7, 2011 8:21 AM
Invasive species Notill 9 Mar 11, 2011 11:40 AM
Dwarf Burning Bushes from Stark Bro's Th d94114 3 Mar 18, 2011 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America