Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
worlie
Bright, IN

August 19, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9246484

I have one piddly little canteloupe I've been coaxing along. Now it's showing signs of "crackling". Is this bad or is there something I can do to save it?

Thumbnail by worlie   Thumbnail by worlie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9246964

Looks like it received too much water at once.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9251996

Nope, cracks in cantaloupes let in salmonella, dangerous to keep if it is a crack, sorry abt that
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 29, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9257914

Your Canteloupe is suffering the same as any fruit that holds a lot of moisture like Tomato's, etc, after the soil has been allowed to dry out, we are inclined to give the plants a good drink to compensate for the lack of moisture, this allows the plants to absolutely drink as much water as pos because they might be left high and dry again therefore, they drink to bursting point which I did earlier on this season with my Tomato's, Marrows, due to me being away for 2 days when the weather turned really hot for our climate.

Is there any way for future you could set up a soak hose that can water even amounts underground at the roots or into pots to allow a more even amount of water, MY friends have done this by using an old damaged hose pipe and they just used a punch to make even holes in the pipe they did lay it on top of the soil to test it was working and enough holes made, but to prevent evaporation they buried the hose at planting time.
Might be an idea for future, I know you can buy these drip water / feed hoses from garden centres but don't know the cost, they will last for years though.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America